East Coast Earthquake

Runey

Anyone else here feel that?

I didn't know earthquakes happened in North Carolina, or at least ones that can be felt.

user posted image

I heard some buildings in Washington DC were evacuated, and even NYC felt it. Was there any damage?

Quite an unusual place for strong earthquakes. Hopefully not too much damage was caused. 5.9 is just about strong enough to collapse a small unstable building but not enough for widespread damage.

I believe MURDOC just felt it aswell?

Indeed.

Pretty noticeable in eastern Pennsylvania.

My monitor was doing the wib-wobbly and the shimmy-shake.

It originated in Virginia, to give you an idea of how powerful it actually was.

38773_s.gif

I missed it, but my girlfriend claims it was noticeable here in NE Ohio.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

East-coast quakes seem to be felt on such a large scale in surrounding areas.

Could it be because they're so uncommon here?

38773_s.gif

Hopefully this doesn't become a common thing. This was my first earthquake and hopefully the last one I'll have to experience. At first I thought someone was driving a large truck down the street, but there was no sound to suggest that. Then I thought it was ghosts. lol

I live in Richmond, VA, about 50 miles from the epicenter in Mineral, VA. There was a pretty violent shake here for about 20 seconds but fortunately I don't see any damage around me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's damage elsewhere in the city as this town is full of 100+ year old buildings that were never built to withstand earthquakes. Everyone in my apartment complex was freaking out as earthquakes aren't something we expect here. The epicenter reportedly hit 6.0 on the Richter scale, significant for any area but especially here.

user posted image

I live in Richmond, VA, about 50 miles from the epicenter in Mineral, VA. There was a pretty violent shake here for about 20 seconds but fortunately I don't see any damage around me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's damage elsewhere in the city as this town is full of 100+ year old buildings that were never built to withstand earthquakes. Everyone in my apartment complex was freaking out as earthquakes aren't something we expect here. The epicenter reportedly hit 6.0 on the Richter scale, significant for any area but especially here.

Glad to hear your alright man.

38773_s.gif

It's the ground here, actually. Pretty much a continuous rock plate running underneath most of the eastern US.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I wish I could have been there to see all the east coasters sh*t themselves.

Edited by darthYENIK

It's the ground here, actually. Pretty much a continuous rock plate running underneath most of the eastern US.

Well, I just thought that if they were a regular occurence they would maybe break up the rock more, so it would end up as broken pieces rather than mostly-solid plate, which might prevent the effects of the earthquake from being as widespread.

Just thinking out loud.

I wish I could have been there to see all the east coasters sh*t themselves.

I didn't even leave my seat, I just put a hand on my monitor.

Wasn't too bad here though, so...

Edited by *MURDOC*
38773_s.gif

It was about 10 seconds for me here in Jersey. Also, if your cell phones are working, then f*ck you.

Well, I just thought that if they were a regular occurence they would maybe break up the rock more, so it would end up as broken pieces rather than mostly-solid plate, which might prevent the effects of the earthquake from being as widespread.

Just thinking out loud.

Ah. That could be a factor, I guess. I thought you just meant that people notice it more because they are rare.

Better lock the wheels on your chair in case of an aftershock, Viddy.

jMNM8n3.gif

LanceVanceDance07

I felt absolutely nothing, I didn't even know there was an earthquake until I saw the overreaction from people and the media on Facebook and Twitter.

Just LOOK at the devastation!!!

user posted image

user posted image

I felt my couch vibrating, but I assumed it was just the brickpointers who were fixing the cement on my side of my apartment building.

Haha, CNN is ridiculous right now. I love it. Finally after all of these years of the east coast laughing at California for overreacting during a rainstorm, we get our revenge!

Even a witness on CNN was saying some people he knows from California were laughing at everyone. I envy them. I really need to feel superior right now.

Yeah, laugh at the people who don't get earthquakes!

(I know, I know they were actually laughing at peoples reactions)

38773_s.gif

I was confused at first, but after a few seconds, I realized it was an earthquake.

Many people here, including myself had never experienced an earthquake before, so yeah.

Oh, to top it off, a hurricane is bearing down on my area coming this weekend.

user posted image