Hoping for optimised game !

SCLASS

When I first started playing GTA4 is was abundantly obvious that the framerate was not up to scratch. (Played on both consoles) - borderline awful in certain circumstances. If you want to give yourself a shock - put SA on and notice the difference (same with VC). Yes IV is on a new console and R* were probably trying to get to grips with it. All the same, I envision the blur effect coming back hiding the fact that the consoles are outdated pieces of kit.

With a solid PC the results are different. This is not perfect though, I want a console version that pushes a consistent 30fps - maybe 25 with a full on chase. The choppyness that we perhaps have got used to in GTA4 is not on. Its amazing just how few people have mentioned the need for R* to optimise the game. Do console players not care ?, how would you like 5fps - would your tails still be wagging and lap it all up ?

The problem is mitigated in MP , with low traffic and ped settings races and deathmatches run really well - try it and notice the difference. Not really a solution though !, I want to see a decent amount of onscreen activity along with decent framerates. Perhaps the development time that GTA5 is having will sort this out to an extent - I really hope so.

I wouldn't wag my tail and "lap up" a bad game, but I'd make sure to bite you on the ass when you walk past my house.

So anyway, are you saying the console version does not perform well, and the PC versions does? This is the opposite of what most people would say. Well I can't say much about the PC version, I think a lot of people had problems, but I've never had any framerate drops or activity stutters on my Xbox 360. The exceptions are when there's a ton of explosions on screen.

Original Light
I didn't have any problems with my FPS on console.

Same here, but if your comparing it to the PC it is pretty bad.

The framerate on the consoles is not a consistent 30fps - major jitters - I've played on 2 differenct PS3s and multiple 360s. I have the PC version running at a solid 30fps plus. Even comparing 30 fps , the console version HAVE framerate issues - FACT. Many , many people here have noticed it.

I play only on the consoles now so no fanboy...

I played it on both 360 and PS3. It defo had some framerate issues. Never played the PC version because I just didn't fall in love with the game like I did with other GTA games.

Sinister Assassin

No problems. Im not the type pf guy to get his panties in a bunch about fps and graphics. Just as long as its a good game. And we can expect that coming from one of the most successful video game series. It amazes me how many people bitch and whine about R* and stuff on here. Quite annoying.

Both my PS3s played GTA4 and its DLCs very well.

The odd frame rate issue online, but all in all ok. If it stuttered it worked itself out fast and I do find my new slim seems a little slipperier than my old fat PS3. Something in the video processor must have been stroked a little since the original units. I think draw distance is a little better on the new slim too.

Sinister , our ' bitching' and 'moaning' simply reflect the fact that some people are more discerning than others. Some people accept anything given to them

without question. Remain ignorant.

Only the few times when traveling at high speeds shooting was when the frame-rate dipped on my console (PS3), but that didn't worry me too much.

Sinister Assassin
Sinister , our ' bitching' and 'moaning' simply reflect the fact that some people are more discerning than others. Some people accept anything given to them

without question. Remain ignorant.

No my statement is geared to the people who are making conclusions on the game without it being out yet. Like a whole post entitled "GTA 5 wont deliver" Or something along those lines. Its just sad. And also the people who get angry cause they have a pc and the graphics are not perfect for them and those people are always saying consoles suck and i just dont understand why. Thats the people im talking about.

People who have constructive criticism and valid points are doing nothing wrong so dont categorize yourself "our" Into a valid group of complainers. Im sure you have honest points but some people like to just make things up and be negative which is annoying

It can be , some people are more susceptible to low framerates and in extreme examples can ruin the gaming experience. In GTA4 for example, the firing rate of the auto weapons is very inconsistent. Against a lot of cops , the 600 rpm of the rifles is definatly lowered to a staccato like rate. I would prefer a consistent gaming experience.

Sinister Assassin
It can be , some people are more susceptible to low framerates and in extreme examples can ruin the gaming experience. In GTA4 for example, the firing rate of the auto weapons is very inconsistent. Against a lot of cops , the 600 rpm of the rifles is definatly lowered to a staccato like rate. I would prefer a consistent gaming experience.

Ive actually experienced that a couple times with a ton of police on screen at the same time.

I honestly dont see whats wrong with it confused.gif I guess its all preference im the last to complain about graphics. Hell i wouldnt care if GTA was still on the III Era engine

I have a PS3 - I hope at least this time it will be rendered in 720p and not 640 !

Is that true? My 42LG50 LCD tv reads 720P via HDMI cable from my PS3 with GTA4 and the DLCs. Reads 1080p from other games that run that tight (with the LG TV you press the enter button and it tells you current resolution, like 1080i with an HD television channel).

Finn 7 five 11
I have a PS3 - I hope at least this time it will be rendered in 720p and not 640 !

Is that true? My 42LG50 LCD tv reads 720P via HDMI cable from my PS3 with GTA4 and the DLCs. Reads 1080p from other games that run that tight (with the LG TV you press the enter button and it tells you current resolution, like 1080i with an HD television channel).

Yeah every tv tells you the resolution, but GTA IV's native resolution was 640p, and it was upscaled to 720p for ps3., which just makes it look sh*t.

Personally, i think the framerates can be improved, there were issues when i played on my ps3, when big car chases were on or i ran of like 100 peds at once the game lagged really bad for up to 15 seconds.

The 360 version was slightly better but it occurred on it as well at times.

If the map is bigger with more textures, i can expect the same framerate drops i think, even if it is better encoded.

PC is the real issue, while it does look better on a good PC, the amount of power GTA IV required was stupendous, the laziest job of a port i have ever seen.

Yeah every tv tells you the resolution, but GTA IV's native resolution was 640p, and it was upscaled to 720p for ps3., which just makes it look sh*t.

Personally, i think the framerates can be improved, there were issues when i played on my ps3, when big car chases were on or i ran of like 100 peds at once the game lagged really bad for up to 15 seconds.

The 360 version was slightly better but it occurred on it as well at times.

If the map is bigger with more textures, i can expect the same framerate drops i think, even if it is better encoded.

PC is the real issue, while it does look better on a good PC, the amount of power GTA IV required was stupendous, the laziest job of a port i have ever seen.

I get ya. That makes sense.

Hopefully the new game has some good programming behind it. LA Noire sure looked good, but really there is a bit less going on compared to the extreme chaos you can get into with GTA.

I think most people forgot the drastic drops in frame rate with IV because it was most apparent in some instances in single player where there will be a lot of action in one place (such as when multiple cop cars crash into you). These moments are very rare in multiplayer, which is most people's more recent memory of playing the game on consoles.

I'm sure we'll see some improvements since then, but at the end of the day, this game is real-time lighting with a lot of things going on the screen, coupled with things like the calculation of euphoria physics. It's not like some FPS games where you have static lightmappped maps that was pre-baked onto texture maps with modern server farms.

You look at the quality of Rockstar's games though so I'm definitely sure it's a priority for them to get the best result. Any disappointments you might have on this front will just be a result of technical limitations that you can't get around.

On the console versions (both 360 and PS3 launch units), I only play single player, and I've never had problems with framerate. Pop-in yes, but framerate no.

PC, where I play multiplayer, I do get the random stutter from my network connection.

Just download the Driver Sf demo to see what a smooth framerate is . This game chugs like a MOFO - fact ! You must b ea blind c**t not to see it !

And now we get to the nitty gritty. You see your experience as the only possible one, and anyone else must be stupid or blind.

And then you resort to name calling...

Yeah, how could you be wrong at all? sarcasm.gif

I have had no real problems with framerate, only pop-ups when driving too fast, but nothing too terrible. The only graphics problem that affected gameplay was during two vigilante missions, where some of the enemies straight-up turned invisible. It's amazing that I could have so few problems when running the game directly from the disc. While I think there will be improvements in V, I also think there are few improvements possible in the hardware this generation.

Jnz - Other posters have agreed with the fact that on numerous occasions there is significant slowdown. Eurogamer did a comparision of framearates between the PS3 and 360 some years back

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-th...-article?page=4

what I post is proved, indisputable - like denying newtons law of motion. The framerate drags when turning ones pov down to the teens. This may well be acceptable for a lot of people.

to be fair - it could be worse on the PS3 so if your 360 is a little smoother - I can understand.

Edited by SCLASS

I think that most console players don't notice becuase they don't know what it feels like to play on a powerful PC. Or any type of PC gaming for that matter.

precisly - 40/50 fps is buttery smooth. A steady 30fps is perfectly acceptable too - IF its a steady 30. GTA4 dips like crazy while turning - in any kind of chase or with large on screen activity. I have it on the PC but dont play it too often as the MP is full of cheats.

And now we get to the nitty gritty. You see your experience as the only possible one, and anyone else must be stupid or blind.

And then you resort to name calling...

Yeah, how could you be wrong at all? sarcasm.gif

This soooooo much!

It is not my perception - this is not a subjective phenomenon - jittery graphics are the same for you me, or the dog. This is not perception of colour or brightness - framerates are the same for everyone . You must have noticed the blur effect exclusively on the consoles to make up for the fact the underpowered consoles cannot keep up with the demands on it.

Yes you are indeed wrong. The internet is awash (or at least was when released) with similar sentiment.

GamerShotgun

I have to agree with SCLASS. And because it's simply impossible to edit so much things on consoles, it's pretty understandable that the game lags at some points. This is a fact, although I'm using my Xbox360 to play, since my pc won't be able to run GTA IV smile.gif

I know I have banged on about this for literally years on this forum as to me - and yes this is where subjectivity comes into things - it is extremely important for playability to have a solid framerate.

Of course the masses are not that demanding - R* will get away with another 'its good enough' coding job and they'll will rake in half a bill or so.