Whats on with the Large Hadron Collider

Swoorup

Hey guys,

Does anyone knows whats going on with the LHC. I heard it failed or didnt work on last year or due to risks like it will produce a black hole or something

From Wikipedia:

"CERN has declared that the LHC will run through to the end of 2012, with a short technical stop at the end of 2011. The energy for 2011 will be 3.5 TeV per beam. In 2013 the LHC will go into a long shutdown to prepare for higher-energy running starting in 2014."

It might have stopped now (as said above) but it will continue to work on in 2012. I hope that answers your question as you were a little vague.

I have read it somewhere that LHC will produce a black hole that will consume everything and thus the world will end. And what you said about the running date above exactly matches the rumoured end of the world? Whats your point on this?

Well apart from the fact there's nothing particularly different between any collisions til 2014 now. If it was gonna kill us at the end of 2012, it would have done so by now.

Umm hope you are not talking about GTA car collisions tounge.gif

BTW mark... Is that you on the sig?

Edited by Swoorup

LongHairedFreakyGuy
BTW mark... Is that you on the sig?

Nargh, that's a PBM (previously banned member) known as Jimmy. Not going into detail as I didn't see what went on, so will let someone else fill you in on that. smile.gif

I have read it somewhere that LHC will produce a black hole that will consume everything and thus the world will end.

Nonsense. Sun bombards us with far more energetic particles than LHC is capable of on daily basis.

Some scientists hope that this will produce a black hole, because it would be very nifty, but if it is possible to produce a black hole at LHC energies, it would most certainly be of the kind that evaporates, rather than grows, as Hawking Radiation theory predicts.

In other words, there is no danger whatsoever.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I have read it somewhere that LHC will produce a black hole that will consume everything and thus the world will end.

Nonsense. Sun bombards us with far more energetic particles than LHC is capable of on daily basis.

Some scientists hope that this will produce a black hole, because it would be very nifty, but if it is possible to produce a black hole at LHC energies, it would most certainly be of the kind that evaporates, rather than grows, as Hawking Radiation theory predicts.

In other words, there is no danger whatsoever.

But I thought LHC was going to create particles that we did not know of, not that of the sun. According to a site I just read there are modules to create antimatters! Antimatters are very much unstable and when in contact with the matter will produce destructions in a very large scale which you even cannot think of!!!Its pretty much like the one in Angels and Demons movie

M. H. Hunter III

Dunno why I misread sig as avatar for mark. blush.gif

scratch this post.

Edited by Master Headhunter

La famiglia è tutto

The strength of a family,
like the strength of an army is in its loyalty to each other.
~ Mario Puzo ~

LongHairedFreakyGuy
<SNIPPED> Edited by Butters 2011

But I thought LHC was going to create particles that we did not know of, not that of the sun. According to a site I just read there are modules to create antimatters! Antimatters are very much unstable and when in contact with the matter will produce destructions in a very large scale which you even cannot think of!!!Its pretty much like the one in Angels and Demons movie

Now you're just trolling.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

It's always fun watching morons try to argue physics with K^2, especially when they don't have the slightest f*cking idea what they're talking about.

Slosten.gif

I read just yesterday actually that they made a breakthrough at one of the detectors, that is collecting like double the amount of data they had before, making their changes of finding the famous "Higgs Boson" particle even greater.

Here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14596367

And the black hole thing was when they were running the collider for the first time, as they weren't sure what would happen. Even if it had resulted in a minor black hole it would have been controlled, according to them. They've been doing loads of test and running the colider for over a year now and nothing like that has even come close to happening.

Edited by SmC12

It's always fun watching morons try to argue physics with K^2, especially when they don't have the slightest f*cking idea what they're talking about.

Oh what an attitude! You not the one to judge me.

Edited by Swoorup

Oh what an attitude! You not the one to judge me.

He's right, though.

When it comes to physics at the complexity of whats going down at LHC, i wouldn't just trust any site on the internet.

This site you're speaking of seems to have the basics figured out, however the amount of antimatter produced by LHC will be very small (if it succeds in creating it), and therefore won't be able to make a big-ass explosion.

This is because the collision of antimatter and matter produce energy corrosponding to Einsteins formula: E = m*c^2

Where E is the amount of energy.

m is the mass of the antimatter (The amount of matter and antimatter colliding is always equal)

c is the speed of light in vacuum (300.000.000 meters per second)

Now one kilogram of antimatter converted to energy measured in joules:

E = 1kg * 300.000.000^2m/s

E = 90.000.000.000.000.000j

This is more energy than any atom bomb ever. BUT it is very unlikely that LHC will produce more than a couple of nanograms antimatter.

Lets say that LHC produces 25 nanograms of antimatter (this is more than ever created), now the calculation looks like this:

E = 25ng * 300.000.000^2m/s

E = 2.247.000j

Wich is circa the enegy released by a half kilogram TNT.

So it's a very powerful source of energy, but the explosion won't be near that scale seen in Angels and Demons, plus this is only if they succed in creating antimatter.

thats some nice info you've got buddy!!!The news channel near our country(india) like to put and show every type of questions that can be raised on a certain fact u know! So they make people wonder on this type of things by putting questions given by their scientists and babas. So I am just curious man!

I'm a particle physicist. It's safe. That's all you need to know.

I read just yesterday actually that they made a breakthrough at one of the detectors, that is collecting like double the amount of data they had before, making their changes of finding the famous "Higgs Boson" particle even greater.

It's starting to look more like chance of not finding Higgs, which would probably be a better thing.