Los Angeles

Mr.Mister

I'm flying down to L.A and will be there from August 27th-30th with my dad and older brother. We are staying in some hotel about a block away from the downtown area. The only plans I have so far is seeing some ballgames and going to Universal Studios. My dad will be in meetings most of the time so that leaves myself or myself and my brother with nothing to do.

Any locals know some great local eateries? Local clothes shops? Cool locations? I tend to avoid tourist traps (except for the must see ones) and I travel around like I am a local... long walks just checking out neighbourhoods. I'm not worried about getting lost in some bad neighbourhood, wont be walking around much at night anyways. My city already is the murder capital of Canada and I see fights every night

Any tips, ideas and advice welcome

P.S: Yes, definately going to the beach

user posted image

-

Edited by Marwin

L71cGcK.png

My city already is the murder capital of Canada and I see fights every night

There was actually an article in the Journal about two weeks ago trying to refute this; the actual number of murders we have is quite higher than previous years (except for 2005), but per capita, we're not as bad as some other cities (e.g. Winnipeg). Since 1981, they've led the per capita homicide rate in Canada thirteen times; Edmonton has only led it five times. Oddly enough, Toronto has not been the murder capital (well, since the data I saw from 1981 onwards).

I've never been to Los Angeles before, but when I travelled abroad, I've always found WikiTravel to be a good source of places to see and some articles will also give you a list of common tourist traps or places to avoid. So yeah, have a look at the page here.

Be sure to have an itinerary planned out before you go, because sometimes CBP will ask you what you plan on doing while you're in the US and if you can't give them a good answer, they might be more hesitant to let you in. Granted, since you're with your father, it probably won't be as big an issue.

clEsyRO.gif

Join the crips, pimp some ho's you know L.A. stuff lol just kidding i hear L.A. has some great architecture icon14.gif .

Thompson.png

AlexGTAGamer

You must see the "Hollywood Walk Of Fame" and "Grauman's Chinese Theatre", see how many people you recognise have a star or have left their footprints, handprints or autographs behind in the cement.

I Love Anna Kournikova

Disneyland

knots Barry Farm

Universal Studios

Dodgers/Angels Game

Chinese theater place

walk around Downtown

I have been there numerous times but if I were you, I would PM DarthYenik and ask him. He lives down there. icon14.gif

R2ZHo4B.png

SF Giants 2010 - 2012 - 2014 World Series Champs

Sunrise Driver

Be sure to have an itinerary planned out before you go, because sometimes CBP will ask you what you plan on doing while you're in the US and if you can't give them a good answer, they might be more hesitant to let you in.

Just "Tourism" isn't good any more?

Hollywood and Vine, Sunset boulevard. Really fun at night. It's way too hot during the day.

Watch a film at Arclight Theatre on Sunset Blvd.

Disneyland, Universal Studios. Duh

Zuma Beach, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach. Big advice here, rent a surfboard or boogieboard (or if you're rich, purchase some lessons) which are easily found around the beach area. It's a lot of fun. I live here but I'll rent a board every so often and go hit the water. It would be a crime not to.

Take the 30-45 minute drive (depending on traffic) on 101 Freeway North all the way to Santa Barbara. Beautiful.

For shopping, Hollywood and Highland, Melrose Avenue, The Grove, Third Street Promenade, Farmers Market

Dodger Stadium, if they're even playing while you're here. Personally I can't really stand it anymore but I suppose if you're visiting it's a nice place to experience.

Santa Monica, and the area around it like Pico Boulevard. I love this area, it's so cozy.

Be sure to have an itinerary planned out before you go, because sometimes CBP will ask you what you plan on doing while you're in the US and if you can't give them a good answer, they might be more hesitant to let you in.

Just "Tourism" isn't good any more?

I guess it depends. When I got asked why I was entering the US once, I said tourism and the officer looked at me and said, "Care to elaborate?" She wanted specifics of what I was planning on doing each day. I think she was just being crabby that day since she kept yelling at us for no reason.

clEsyRO.gif

Disneyland

knots Barry Farm

Universal Studios

Dodgers/Angels Game

Chinese theater place

walk around Downtown

I have been there numerous times but if I were you, I would PM DarthYenik and ask him. He lives down there.  icon14.gif

Yeah, all of that stuff.

If you want shopping, I'd suggest the Grove at farmer's market. It's an outdoor shopping mall, that's pretty nice just to walk around. And if you want more of an educational experience, the La Brea Tar pits are pretty close to that, as well as the Los Angeles county museum of art (or LACMA), which has a pretty cool exhibit on Tim Burton.

Santa Monica is pretty cool as well. Tons of places to eat, shop and of course it's on the beach where they have the Pier and the small amusement park.

And if you are a fan of rock music, especially of the 80s, the Rainbow Bar & Grill is somewhat of a mecca. Lemmy is apparently there all the time.

Too bad you weren't coming a few weeks later, then I'd suggest going to the Anaheim Ducks training camp. You might have been there when Teemu Selanne decides to either retire or come back for another year. I'm hoping to be there.

Edited by darthYENIK

Kill some LAPD officers.

[/color][/font]

Does this include you?

Santa Monica sounds like a pretty cool place, I'm gonna go check out that place on sunday. Gonna check out Hollywood and the hills on monday and laugh at how stupid all those rich people act. If im going to universal studios then im probably going to opt out of disneyland. It's abit further away, it costs more money and it is more kid oriented I think

I will definately print out maps tomorrow. Thanks for naming all the places guys biggrin.gif

user posted image

Kill some LAPD officers.

[/color][/font]

Does this include you?

I definitely did not say that.

tounge.gif

clEsyRO.gif

Kill some LAPD officers.

[/color][/font]

Does this include you?

I definitely did not say that.

tounge.gif

I know, my quote thing f*cked up and quoted a quote train, so I just replaced the text. I was going to change your name but my computer is slow

I need a new wireless router

user posted image

If you wanna try some awesome burritos or Nachos. Go to Freebirds, by USC. Its fuking awesome! Make sure you add as many toppings as you can!

Its like a 10 minute drive from Downtown.

Also try Venice Beach too, Santa Monica at Night, Hollywood, The grove.

You may want to try In N Out too while you're here.

I Love Anna Kournikova

Too bad you weren't coming a few weeks later, then I'd suggest going to the Anaheim Ducks training camp.  You might have been there when Teemu Selanne decides to either retire or come back for another year.  I'm hoping to be there.

You would recommend that.

Go Kings! wink.gif

R2ZHo4B.png

Too bad you weren't coming a few weeks later, then I'd suggest going to the Anaheim Ducks training camp.  You might have been there when Teemu Selanne decides to either retire or come back for another year.  I'm hoping to be there.

You would recommend that.

Go Kings! wink.gif

Pfft, why go to their camp? In Anaheim you at least get to see a legend, a Hart trophy winner, and maybe Scott Niedermayer will be there. Oh and the fans aren't assholes. YEAH I JUST SAID THAT!!!

I Love Anna Kournikova

Im not a Kings fan, I just wanted to piss you off. cool.gif

Anyway, Sorry mister. Got off track. Back to you. icon14.gif

R2ZHo4B.png

go to universal studios or city walk, or disney...got to hollywood walk of fame, you see alot of freaks and crazy sh*t down there.

then come to palmdale and ill smoke you out

user posted image

Toby " Tobuscus" Turner , that's what you need oh and a dip in the La Brea tar pits

I used to live in Downtown LA. You're certainly not going to be very close to the beach, Hollywood, or Universal - at least, you won't be able to walk to those places.

The LA Live center is probably one of your better bets - it's safe, there's some stuff to do (Lucky Lanes, movie theater, restaurants, etc), and it's likely walking distance. FIDM has a cool courtyard that you can check out, and there's often cute fashion girls hanging out there.

Have fun.

When I went to Los Angeles I walked up to the Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park. As well as getting a really great view of Los Angeles and the Hollywood sign, there's the observatory itself up there (admittedly I didn't go in there) a small restaurant and if you're feeling pumped you can carry on following these trails deeper into Griffith Park. It's pretty easy to get to, from the Hollywood and Western subway station, head directly North up North Western avenue until it curves around to the right and the entrance is just on the left, then there a small road that will take you to the beginning of the trail. Once you get there you'll be able to see the observatory at the top of a hill. The first time I walked it I was knackered (you can see how unfit I am tounge.gif) but I found myself doing it two more times during my vacation there.

(Also, they filmed some of Rebel Without a Cause and The Terminator up there if you're interested)

@ beto: Got no ride man, come to the beach man, ill have cash!

@ Pandazoot: I completly forgot about the observatory. Will definately check it out. I sure love being up in the sky, surronded by smog tounge.gif

@ mike39: Yeah it's definately not close but taxi's and the LRT can take me places. Bus system will confuse the f*ck outta me

@ kamuran: Legoland?! Isn't that in Miami or San Fran? I totally forgot about that sh*t, I'm definately going there for sure!

I will start to design my iteniary plan tonight. Cant wait

user posted image

• 2 weeks later...

Linda Vista Hospital.  That is all.

Whys that? Is it haunted??

Ok so I leave tomorrow at 630am. I need to figure out how to get around. What website is a good place that will show me how to get to places? Or will Google Maps just be fine? What are the good eating places in the downtown area? Any local hotspots?

Also seems that I'm going to Universal Studios on sunday!

user posted image

Take a look at the subway map and use google maps as well. You can find the bus routes map somewhere but to be honest with you, when I looked at it I was completely baffled so good luck with that.