Should I get this motherboard

dukee152

I know the socket 775 is kind obsolete but, I do not want to upgrade to a core i7 yet I think with my current cpu I can keep up for the next 2-3 years. My motherboard wont let me overclock my voltage I get a temp of 43 celsius I have a thermaltake frio overclocking fan.

anyways here is the motherboard I am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138157

my specs are

msi p6ngm2-l

intel q9550

4gb of ddr2 ram

windows 7 32 bit I am also thinking about using sysprep so I do not have to install windows

gtx 260

550 watt psu and 2 sata hdd and 1 ide hdd 1 ide cd

Your old mobo is a mATX and the Biostar one is a full ATX, are you sure your case will support full ATX mobos?

Personally I don't care of Biostar since they are usually budget boards. But if you're just getting this as a temp replacement board because you're having issues with your current until you save enough a new CPU and board or whole new system, then ok. Other wise if you're going to be hanging on to this for a good while then I would get a better brand and quality board.

Personally I don't care of Biostar since they are usually budget boards. But if you're just getting this as a temp replacement board because you're having issues with your current until you save enough a new CPU and board or whole new system, then ok. Other wise if you're going to be hanging on to this for a good while then I would get a better brand and quality board.

whats your favorite brand

ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte are good quality brands.

eVGA as well but other wise user posted image

leik oh em jeez!

I got an XFX 780i for a penny more, so in my mind that Biostar Intel board is not even close to being worth the price. You should do some more shopping around. If you're not buying new top of the line components anyways, you might be better off getting a used board. I'd look for XFX or EVGA 680i, 750i, or 780i. All great OCing boards and XFX offers a double lifetime warranty, so even as the second owner, you'd still have a lifetime warranty.

I got an XFX 780i for a penny more, so in my mind that Biostar Intel board is not even close to being worth the price. You should do some more shopping around. If you're not buying new top of the line components anyways, you might be better off getting a used board. I'd look for XFX or EVGA 680i, 750i, or 780i. All great OCing boards and XFX offers a double lifetime warranty, so even as the second owner, you'd still have a lifetime warranty.

those boards are really expensive

leik oh em jeez!

Like I said, I got my XFX 780i for $60 even, and I've seen 750i's for as little as $50.

Like I said, I got my XFX 780i for $60 even, and I've seen 750i's for as little as $50.

Can you give me the link to the site where you got it?

I got mine on ebay.

I dont really like going on ebay just because I do not know if I am going to get a bad motherboard from someone plus if it is old it might not have to many days left so I would perfer to get one from newegg tiger direct bestbuy microcenter.

Don't expect that cheap board to give you any OC potential because 99% of the time cheap boards will have limited OC ability.

And not only that, the board is running on a G41 chipset. To OC you will need to start with a P35/45 and better off with a X38/48.

IMO, buying a new mobo just for some OC option is a total waste. If you can't OC, then let it be and run the CPU at stock clocks.

Don't expect that cheap board to give you any OC potential because 99% of the time cheap boards will have limited OC ability.

And not only that, the board is running on a G41 chipset. To OC you will need to start with a P35/45 and better off with a X38/48.

IMO, buying a new mobo just for some OC option is a total waste. If you can't OC, then let it be and run the CPU at stock clocks.

what about the asus one that I have in my previous post

leik oh em jeez!

It's recertified and out of stock, and the last active nforce 700 board on NewEgg. Chances are they won't be restocking them.

It's recertified and out of stock, and the last active nforce 700 board on NewEgg. Chances are they won't be restocking them.

i called newegg they said they will have it restocked within the next 14 days

Let's make this a bit easier....

A) How much do you have to spend?

B) How long do you plan to keep this before you finally upgrade?

C) Is overclocking important or just simply run it as is and wait until you upgrade fully?

D) What do you really need from your mobo? I mean things like 4+USB ports, 3 or 6 port audio (3 is fine if all you use a stereo speakers but 6 is better for 5.1 speakers), on-board video for back up or forget it completely.

When know the size your case supports is full ATX and mATX and that you need a Socket775.

A) 0-50 dollars for a ddr3 motherboard 0-100 for ddr2 motherboard

B) I will keep it until 2013-2014

C) Yes overclocking is important I want to really get the full performance out of this motherboard I have adequate cooling and I can handle overclocking

D) I have regular speakers sound isnt to important for me I would need about 4 usb ports on board video will be nice but it doesnt have to be to fancy I would want to use it if my graphiccs card dies on me.

YankeesPwnMets
A) 0-50 dollars for a ddr3 motherboard 0-100 for ddr2 motherboard

B) I will keep it until 2013-2014

C) Yes overclocking is important I want to really get the full performance out of this motherboard I have adequate cooling and I can handle overclocking

D) I have regular speakers sound isnt to important for me I would need about 4 usb ports on board video will be nice but it doesnt have to be to fancy I would want to use it if my graphiccs card dies on me.

If you want to overclock, don't expect to get any good motherboard for overclocking that is under $150

keep in mind it is a socket 775 not a new core i5 type motherboard

Why would you want to spend more on a DDR2 motherboard than a DDR3?

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Most likely because he'll have to buy DDR3 RAM to go with the DDR3 mobo.

Basically what he's saying is that he has $100 to spend.

Most likely because he'll have to buy DDR3 RAM to go with the DDR3 mobo.

Basically what he's saying is that he has $100 to spend.

exactly why I would do that but Microcenter is selling 4gb of ddr3 ram for 19.99 which is a verry good price

No good reason to upgrade a 775 board unless it's to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P/UD3R, and there is absolutely no reason for DDR3 on a 775 board, the way RAM works means DDR3 shows little to no improvement even in memory intensive apps.

90FHTZo.png

Now I am seriously considering doing the that deal from microcenter because I can future proof myself

YankeesPwnMets

Upgrading to DDR3 isn't really futureproof. Its not worth your $100 in my opinion. DDR2 is plenty good.

Just save up more money and get a Sandy Bridge/Ivy bridge system