The Long Flight Topic!

Shayan Shaffey

Shayan Shaffey

user posted image

Hi guys,

Tomorrow at 2 in the morning I will be taking a long 18 hour trans-atlantic flight to Los Angeles. It isn't my first time going on a transatlantic flight, but it is my first time going on one that is from the middle-east to LA which takes longer than the usual Europe to LA flight I take. So what do you guys think I should take with me? What should I do to not go crazy in these 18 hours?

Here are some details:

First I go from Tehran to Dubai with Iran air (2 hours) and then we stay in dubai for 3 hours and board an emirates Boeing 777-300 to LAX (16 hours yawn.gif ) The plane fortunately has internet access lol.gif. What should I do if there is a whining baby or a kicking baby or adult behind/next to me? So, let's post all our tips and question related to Long flights here in the Long Flight Topic!

user posted image>> An Iran Air Boeing 747SP docked at Narita International Airport, Japan. (2007)

user posted image>> An Iran Air Fokker docked in Shiraz, Iran.

user posted image>> Emirates Airline Logo.

Edited by shayanshaffey
user posted image

What should I do if there is a whining baby or a kicking baby or adult behind/next to me?

You're crammed inside aluminium can at 35,000 feet over the earth... there's nothing you can do.

You could have easily just posted this in the have a question topic without all the pictures too.

Shayan Shaffey

What should I do if there is a whining baby or a kicking baby or adult behind/next to me?

You're crammed inside aluminium can at 35,000 feet over the earth... there's nothing you can do.

You could have easily just posted this in the have a question topic without all the pictures too.

Nah, I wanted to start a discussion, not a question that would be answered once or twice and forgotten two pages later. I added the pictures to bring in some aero-planish atmosphere.

user posted image

So on a middle eastern flight do you all get nervous when a white guy gets on with a backpack and starts talking in a language you don't understand? Just joking tounge.gif

I'm flying out on wednesday myself to mallorca, not anywhere near as long as you though. I really like flying, I like looking out the window and watching all the things going on down below. I've been fortunate never to have an annoying kid crying or kicking my chair, but if I did I guess I would just grit my teeth and bear it like a true englishman would, before getting up and quietly queuing, for what I do not know.

Shayan Shaffey

So on a middle eastern flight do you all get nervous when a white guy gets on with a backpack and starts talking in a language you don't understand? Just joking  tounge.gif

I'm flying out on wednesday myself to mallorca, not anywhere near as long as you though. I really like flying, I like looking out the window and watching all the things going on down below. I've been fortunate never to have an annoying kid crying or kicking my chair, but if I did I guess I would just grit my teeth and bear it like a true englishman would, before getting up and quietly queuing, for what I do not know.

LOL, Once a baby constantly kicked the chair on my Tehran-Frankfurt flight. I shouted at him and I became the laughing stock of the flight. blush.gif I like flying too, but it gets boring after the first 5-6 hours.

Edited by shayanshaffey
user posted image

dis is wat u can doo

4XEtraA.jpg

Shayan Shaffey

dis is wat u can doo

Tank you fur teh infurmashion butt I hav dael-UP! Sow I kant sea teh vidio

user posted image

AndrefromEstonia

Pretty much, brake a pencil and say its the kid. biggrin.gif

But yeah, there aint much you can do. Just take a laptop or something where you can play something. Also headphones so you can hear everything whats going on in the laptop, but nothing thats going on at the next seat. Also some great movies to watch, music. I'd take a book or two also.

user posted image

I was going to mention something regarding the flight length being shorter as it's not direct, but you already did. 16 hours is still a hell of a long time to fly for without rest. My longest non-stop flight was Heathrow-LA, which was about 11 hours. Total flight time Heathrow-Ontario was something like 14 hours with a 4 hour stop-off in LA.

Books, laptop, iPod/chosen brand of MP3 player and a pillow and you'll be sorted.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

If you have an iPod and there's a kid that's whining, stick your headphones in and go off into your own world. That's part of flying and there's not much you can do about it.

As for me, the longest flight I took was from Frankfurt to Chicago back in May which was 10 hours, so to pass the time, I listened to my iPod, watched some in-flight entertainment, played some cards with my friend (I had brought a deck for that purpose) and I actually slept quite a bit because they gave you a pillow and a blanket. Every hour or so, I would suggest either getting up or doing some simple stretches in your seat just to keep your blood flowing, because sitting still for long periods of time is never good for the health.

Have fun landing at LAX. After a 16 hour flight, you're probably going to be stuck in a long immigration queue. When I landed in Chicago, my friend and I were at the back of the plane and two other international flights came in and we stopped at the bathroom before heading to immigration, so we were at the back of the line. After about an hour (we advanced about half way), they finally asked if there were Canadian citizens and we got to jump to the front of the queue since Canadians have an easier time with US immigration in the sense that we don't have to be fingerprinted or photographed.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Icarus.
clEsyRO.gif

Shayan Shaffey

I was going to mention something regarding the flight length being shorter as it's not direct, but you already did. 16 hours is still a hell of a long time to fly for without rest. My longest non-stop flight was Heathrow-LA, which was about 11 hours. Total flight time Heathrow-Ontario was something like 14 hours with a 4 hour stop-off in LA.

Books, laptop, iPod/chosen brand of MP3 player and a pillow and you'll be sorted.

Yeah, an iPod and a good book is definitely needed. The good thing about emirates is that they have internet, so I can just pop out my mac and see what's going on here

If you have an iPod and there's a kid that's whining, stick your headphones in and go off into your own world. That's part of flying and there's not much you can do about it.

As for me, the longest flight I took was from Frankfurt to Chicago back in May which was 10 hours, so to pass the time, I listened to my iPod, watched some in-flight entertainment, played some cards with my friend (I had brought a deck for that purpose) and I actually slept quite a bit because they gave you a pillow and a blanket. Every hour or so, I would suggest either getting up or doing some simple stretches in your seat just to keep your blood flowing, because sitting still for long periods of time is never good for the health.

Have fun landing at LAX. After an 18 hour flight, you're probably going to be stuck in a long immigration queue. When I landed in Chicago, my friend and I were at the back of the plane and two other international flights came in and we stopped at the bathroom before heading to immigration, so we were at the back of the line. After about an hour (we advanced about half way), they finally asked if there were Canadian citizens and we got to jump to the front of the queue since Canadians have an easier time with US immigration in the sense that we don't have to be fingerprinted or photographed.

Enjoy your trip.

Yeah, it's gonna be easy for me since I'm officially and american citizen, But there's still a line for us so its still gonna be yawn.gif but it's gotta feel great to land at LAX after 18 hours.

Edited by shayanshaffey
user posted image

Have an awesome time in LA bro, when I went last, there were lost of Iranians in Downtown LA near Pershing Square. Also loads of nice Mexican restaurants.

I'd play any computer games I have on my laptop on the flight. Maybe you can take out your frustrations with annoying children on a GTA game. Or you can just come here. biggrin.gif

Anyway, safe travels and hope you have fun once you get there mate.

Edited by D- Ice

6g8AhC3.jpg

I like the word Fokker.

I've also never been on nor intend on ever going on an aeroplane in my entire life.

Just came back from a huge trip all over USA, LA -> NY. Flew from Amsterdam to LA in ~16 hours. Since the flight is a long one you can assume that there is entertainment on board, a tv screen in the seat of the person in front of you. Also bring an Ipod or whatever you have just in case you don't like anything they have to offer. Which seems hard cause I had a huge collection of movies/music/tv shows.

Longest flight has been about 10/11 hours from England to Arizona. Not that bad really, since they have some pretty sweet films on board. I can usually sleep on the plane to, bring along my ipod and some noise cancelling headphones for music later on. And even a book.

Shayan Shaffey

EAT DA POOOPOOO! Thumbs up if you've seen that video

Because I got a reminder for spam I would like to clarify: This is related to Toup's post about not sh*ting himself dozingoff.gif

Edited by shayanshaffey
user posted image

Emirates? Well I've been to Dubai on that airline. It was a non-stop trip from JFK International Airport (New York). The thing was like, 25 hours. Wanna know what I brought? iPod, a good sleeping pillow, a PSP (I was young at the time), a nice blanket (for sleeping), and of course, my laptop. Also, the plane has some good media to keep you occupied. Behind every seat there's a "TV" (I like to call it that) and it's filled with music videos and TV episodes. Kept watching South Park and Family Guy episodes non-stop. It was good, and it kept me from having to deal with a tedious plane ride.

Anyways, enjoy the trip! icon14.gif

Shayan Shaffey
Emirates? Well I've been to Dubai on that airline. It was a non-stop trip from JFK International Airport (New York). The thing was like, 25 hours. Wanna know what I brought? iPod, a good sleeping pillow, a PSP (I was young at the time), a nice blanket (for sleeping), and of course, my laptop. Also, the plane has some good media to keep you occupied. Behind every seat there's a "TV" (I like to call it that) and it's filled with music videos and TV episodes. Kept watching South Park and Family Guy episodes non-stop. It was good, and it kept me from having to deal with a tedious plane ride.

Anyways, enjoy the trip! icon14.gif

SOUTH PARK?!!?!! Wow, that's great!

user posted image

They also have music radio stations on those little "TVs". I remember flying to LA and it started playing many songs from K-DST while flying over the Nevada Desert, which is exactly what the radio station is automatically tuned onto during the Airstrip Flight School training and subsequent missions in SA.

It was a very coinincidental and nostalgic experience for me lol. tounge2.gif

6g8AhC3.jpg

I flew my life's longest flights a few weeks back - continuation flights from Helsinki to JFK by Keflavik (Iceland) - and the first 3 hours were bearable, but the 9 hour part from Iceland to New York was purely agonizing.

And, of course, when we were flying back, from NYC to Iceland, there was this 9-year old Icelandic kid sitting behind me, kicking the chair and speaking Iceland (which sounds pretty similar to the sounds I'd believe an infant squirrel would be making if someone was pushing a torch down it's asshole).

The flight company was kick-ass, though. They had a touch-screen TV with a lot of movies and TV shows on it, games, music, stuff like that. Something I'd call the answer to one's prayers on a long flight.

8wjrzl.png

Shayan Shaffey
I flew my life's longest flights a few weeks back - continuation flights from Helsinki to JFK by Keflavik (Iceland) - and the first 3 hours were bearable, but the 9 hour part from Iceland to New York was purely agonizing.

And, of course, when we were flying back, from NYC to Iceland, there was this 9-year old Icelandic kid sitting behind me, kicking the chair and speaking Iceland (which sounds pretty similar to the sounds I'd believe an infant squirrel would be making if someone was pushing a torch down it's asshole).

The flight company was kick-ass, though. They had a touch-screen TV with a lot of movies and TV shows on it, games, music, stuff like that. Something I'd call the answer to one's prayers on a long flight.

mercie_blink.gif LOL, I wish they have some quizzes on the ICE (The name Emirates gives their entertainment system on the flight)

user posted image

Sony Camcorder with STAMINA battery! Trust me, you'll get by just fine, by reason you can put anything visual on a tape, as well as HOURS of audio in HiFi stereo, kind of old school, sure, but I am never far from my cams on a trip!

Take an Ipod, computer with lots of good movies on them, also some homework/revision if you have any, sometimes I get it done on the plane. Pack stuff to drink and eat and also maybe just take a book you're really f*cking into.

Then there's sleep, good old sleep which I always never get on long flights which is so annoying because there's nothing to do.

Shayan Shaffey
Take an Ipod, computer with lots of good movies on them, also some homework/revision if you have any, sometimes I get it done on the plane. Pack stuff to drink and eat and also maybe just take a book you're really f*cking into.

Then there's sleep, good old sleep which I always never get on long flights which is so annoying because there's nothing to do.

Sleep: I can't get it on flights. I just read that Emirates has 3,000 movies on it's entertainment system notify.gif So movies are the last thing I'll have to worry about. I usually take Lufthansa which has a comedy/sport program which you can watch which will give you tips on how to stretch and stuff like that, but I doubt Emirates will offer that. Also, Jet-lag, how do you guys deal with it?

user posted image

I haven't flown in eons, literally, Or taken a train, I prefer I do the driving, biking, on a road trip. While in America, make good use of your time, ENJOY IT!!

The longest flight I have ever had the dipleasure of experiencing would be a 9 hour flight to Sanford, Florida from Manchester. It was awful. We were packed in like sardines; the seats were so close together and there was minimal leg room - and to top it off, we were sat in front of a loud, fat-arsed Essex girl and her kids - though what was I expecting from a budget airline like XL? It doesn't suprise me in the slightest that they've since gone bust and discontinued their services.

The only thing I had to occupy me during the flight was a PSP, which I had installed a PSX emulator and all the Crash Bandicoot games onto. Shame the battery croaked after about 5 hours.

Shayan Shaffey
Well, I read some where on the internet that there are less children on business class, so I guess I won't have to worry about kids. (first time in business YAY!)
user posted image

There's nothing you can do about jet lag. To be honest, I don't usually get it when I fly over into the USA. Because the nearest time zone to the UK is about 8 hours behind if I'm not mistaken. So I usually get up around 6/7am US time and feel fine since my body thinks its about 2-4pm. Best thing to do, is just make sure you get enough sleep.