Could the UK Riots affect GTA V?

Kirsty

As some of you may/may not know, the UK experienced country wide rioting recently. It started in London and spread to various cities in the UK. Thankfully it has calmed down now, but the media have focused their attention to why it happened; the underlying causes.

I didn't make this topic to talk about rioting, but somehow Grand Theft Auto is in the spotlight again because of it.

It all started when a police man made this comment:

Go home, get a takeaway and watch anything that happens on TV. These are bad people who did this. Kids out of control. When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they're playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves

Since then several media outlets have come up with stories, one newspaper even claiming that GTA inspired it all, but then changing their headline before print. Now, a London MP has also condemned 'Grand Theft Auto Culture' - some articles:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gta-inspire...on-riots/082762

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...or-London-Riots

http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/news/totte...ulture_1_993148

We all know as, as gamers, that violent video games always bare the burden of blame when it comes to events like this. Personally I know that video games would never inspire me to commit crime, despite how much of a dedicated fan I could be.

While I don't agree with what is being said, I'm just wondering whether people think this could affect how Rockstar market their games, specifially GTA V which could be announced any time now. Could the riots hold back an announcement, while tension is still high in the UK? Could it change gameplay in terms of adding more morals, like RDR, to show they don't only encourage violent choices?

GTA has experienced its fair share of controversy in the past, but I'm sure this is still a scenario that big companies have to consider when it's games are being smeared by the media.

darrellmonks

3 words for anyone blames gta on the riots. Think Retarded c*nts

Cool story Bro'

If gta had just been released or announced where the game would have attention anyway, it would probably stir up more controversy, but it wouldn't be wise to announce gta in the next days when the news are all over causes solutions to gang culture and violence etc..

Americans may not make much of it, but our government like to make excuses and gta is an easy target for any type of people wishing to blame gta.

EternalAgony

This is why I take all news oulets with a grain of salt. They're meant to be unbiased overseers, but they end up being biased and stereotyped debaters.

GTA is always being smeared in the media in regards to one crime or another, however this has got to be one of the first times I've known it to be linked to such a crime as the riots. These riots are a bit of a sore point for the UK at the moment and some how I feel that announcing the game within the next few weeks / months or whenever they do wouldn't be the best idea.

Given the governments plan to block social media should they need it, they might debate the whole idea of allowing such a game like GTA in the country, considering the controversy that normally surrounds GTA and how it is now being blamed for the riots.

I completely disagree with GTA being blamed for the cause of the riots, but the media want a scapegoat for it and some media groups have a thing against violent games.

If V was going to be announced in the near future, the riots would probably cause a rethink; it would look like R* was capitalizing on the events, at least in the eyes of the tabloids. GTA is a boon to them because a lot of readers who don't play video games know about it (it's that game where the only aim is to kill prostitutes) but don't know too much. It comes up every time something terrible like this happens. Remember how British tabloids ran that story about R* making a GTA making a game based on the Moat murders last year?

On the other hand, R* do like to court controversy, as demonstrated by how far they went to defend Manhunt.

Well here's one American's perspective (mine):

Well the riots are over so, by the time the game is announced, everything should be fine.

The problem is, there are too many idiots in the world. Everybody blames the gaming industry for violence associated with the current generation of children and young adults. Personally, I do not believe it is the gaming industry's fault for causing, but instead the people who go out and commit these crimes and/or riot. The riots in London were triggered by a fatal shooting of a civilian by a policeman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in GTA, I have NEVER seen a policeman kill a civilian that didn't attack them first. I don't know where anyone got the idea to blame GTA in the first place. But it's totally stupid! If blaming a video game is logical, why not take it a step further, and blame the people who invented video games........or guns!? Why not blame the people who made it lawful for certain people to possess firearms!? The only people that we have to blame for these crimes are the people who commit them, themselves. They are the ones who are stupid enough in the first place to let a ****ing vide game influence them! If not GTA, they will blame Saints Row, or Manhunt, or something else. But I digress........

Anyway I don't think you should have to worry about GTA 5 or any future games being banned in the UK. There is NO WAY that anyone can prove that GTA is responsible for the riots, and anyone who says it is is a moron. If it is banned, order another English language copy from another country if you're desperate enough. If the game is banned, well, then apparently there are more idiots in this world than I originally thought!

Everything should be fine by next year.............

EDIT: I agree with Andrew on the whole scapegoat comment. After all, nobody ever wants to fes up and accept the responsibility for themselves, regardless of how much trouble it could cause other (and perhaps innocent) people.

Edited by hitrho5

Long_Haired_Boy

Yeah that riot could effect the announcement.

I'm actually surprised what I'm reading here, do you honestly think this would deter Rockstar from announcing GTA V? I highly doubt that Daily Mail readers and such are their target audience.One cop said it was because of GTA, the media knows that middle age people dislike video games (especially violent ones). The journos then think, hey you know what would sell papers? If we said that a violent video game was to blame for the riots and then get some interview from a police officer with the same opinion. Thats all it is, this in no way will effect GTA V, I promise you that.

I was actually at the riots that occurred in Clapham Junction in South West London, & not to say to much, whatever may or may not have happened, GTA did not inspire anyone at the riots, I am 100% on that.

The obvious inspiration for the riots was the fact that gang in Tottenham done it because of the shooting on their friend, & the rest of the country saw that as an excuse to commit the same crimes, especially seeing as they got away with it. It was all down to pure greed & the over-whelming sense of 'everything is free'.

I'm actually surprised what I'm reading here, do you honestly think this would deter Rockstar from announcing GTA V?

This is a forum, it's for discussing different views.

I mentioned in my post that I don't agree with what is being said, it is indeed a stupid accusation. However, you obviously do not know the power of the media, especially in the UK recently with all the scandals. I do not think a controversy will stop Rockstar announcing or releasing a game, however with it's name being smeared in the press, they obviously have to consider it from a business point of view on what affect it could have on the game. It doesn't matter to us, we're fans that will still buy it, but it matters to shareholders, investors and even the markets that sell the game.

It is indeed a stupid accusation and in theory it shouldn't have any effect on GTA, however as MissCloud has said do not underestimate the power of the British media, it has been allowed to gather far too much power in recent years and unfortunately what people read in it they tend to believe it instantly without understanding that the article written probably has personal and political bias in it.

Rockstar will probably be monitoring the situation, and coming up with the most suitable time to announce it in the UK. I'm not saying this would push back the US announcement date but it could have an effect on the UK date, it all depends on how the situation unfolds with the riots.

I'm actually surprised what I'm reading here, do you honestly think this would deter Rockstar from announcing GTA V?

I mentioned in my post that I don't agree with what is being said, it is indeed a stupid accusation. However, you obviously do not know the power of the media, especially in the UK recently with all the scandals. I do not think a controversy will stop Rockstar announcing or releasing a game, however with it's name being smeared in the press, they obviously have to consider it from a business point of view on what affect it could have on the game. It doesn't matter to us, we're fans that will still buy it, but it matters to shareholders, investors and even the markets that sell the game.

Look, first of all, this isn't even major news, it wasn't like the front page of every newspaper said GTA is evil and causes riots so your argument about the media being powerful is void in my opinion. Secondly, a story like this would have no effect on the share holders opinions becasue Rockstar is a company used to controversy and media attention for the wrong reasons. Whats more, an announcement now would do nothing but increase the value of the shares. Finally, I wasn't just refering to you but a couple of people said it might delay a possible announcement, that would only make sense because so much media coverage would be on the riots and not on the game. Also, no companies like Game or Play wpuld miss out on the cash cow that is GTA. It would be financially retarded not to sell a game that will break records just because it got blamed for something stupid in a right wing newspaper.

EternalAgony

Look, first of all, this isn't even major news, it wasn't like the front page of every newspaper said GTA is evil and causes riots so your argument about the media being powerful is void in my opinion. Secondly, a story like this would have no effect on the share holders opinions becasue Rockstar is a company used to controversy and media attention for the wrong reasons. Whats more, an announcement now would do nothing but increase the value of the shares. Finally, I wasn't just refering to you but a couple of people said it might delay a possible announcement, that would only make sense because so much media coverage would be on the riots and not on the game. Also, no companies like Game or Play wpuld miss out on the cash cow that is GTA. It would be financially retarded not to sell a game that will break records just because it got blamed for something stupid in a right wing newspaper.

If a game is believed to be responsible for the deaths of many, it will be condemned as such.

As long as the announcement date isn't in the next three months, V should be fine.

If a game is believed to be responsible for the deaths of many, it will be condemned as such.

As long as the announcement date isn't in the next three months, V should be fine.

Have there been multiple deaths as a DIRECT result of the riots? No there have not. The shooting in Croydon is thought to be gang related and the hit and run in Birmingham is probably race related unfortuantley. Fact of the matter is, this hasn't been picked up and used as a reason in any major news site e.g. I don't see BBC or Sky reporting this crap.

My statement that the media is powerful isn't void, because its a general truth. Just because it's not on every newspaper right now does not mean it won't be at all, it only takes a couple of reporters to state it and it could be widespread news. Are you aware that Manhunt was banned in the UK? Do you not think that this happening to a GTA game could have serious effects on the gaming industry here and also the financial side of it? It is made here, after all. Yeah, it could have the opposite effect and lead to increased demand, but the reputation would be damaged.

My statement that the media is powerful isn't void, because its a general truth. Just because it's not on every newspaper right now does not mean it won't be at all, it only takes a couple of reporters to state it and it could be widespread news. Are you aware that Manhunt was banned in the UK? Do you not think that this happening to a GTA game could have serious effects on the gaming industry here and also the financial side of it? It is made here, after all. Yeah, it could have the opposite effect and lead to increased demand, but the reputation would be damaged.

First of all I'm from England so I am aware the power the media has and yes I know about Manhunt but that game was just sadistic. End of (As far as I know, its no longer banned and the sequel definately wasn't). Furthermore, if your assuming this is what will hurt the reputation of GTA the most then thats very naive. There have been countless court cases in which people have tried to sue Rockstar over GTA becuase their son killed a cop (blamed on his long playing hours of GTA) or a bunch of kids carjacked some guy and broke his jaw (the kids, in their late teens, said they were imitating GTA). GTA has had so much negative press that something as small as this will have no effect on Rockstar. That is a fact.

EternalAgony

Have there been multiple deaths as a DIRECT result of the riots? No there have not. The shooting in Croydon is thought to be gang related and the hit and run in Birmingham is probably race related unfortuantley. Fact of the matter is, this hasn't been picked up and used as a reason in any major news site e.g. I don't see BBC or Sky reporting this crap.

If one reports it, others will follow. Plus, it doesn't matter who's right, it just matters that the notion is out there, and people will begin to believe it.

Have there been multiple deaths as a DIRECT result of the riots? No there have not.

First of all I'm from England

I'm not going to discuss the rioting, because it's off topic, but I just wanted to point out how ignorant this is considering you are from here. All 4 of the deaths have been directly linked to them.

It is not naive to assume their reputation could be affected because you can't run a business based on assumptions. The UK is taking these riots seriously, of course, so when your company, brand or whatever is named amongst it, how can they just bat their eyelids? This is hardly hot coffee.

First of all I'm from England so I am aware the power the media has and yes I know about Manhunt but that game was just sadistic. End of (As far as I know, its no longer banned and the sequel definately wasn't). Furthermore, if your assuming this is what will hurt the reputation of GTA the most then thats very naive. There have been countless court cases in which people have tried to sue Rockstar over GTA becuase their son killed a cop (blamed on his long playing hours of GTA) or a bunch of kids carjacked some guy and broke his jaw (the kids, in their late teens, said they were imitating GTA). GTA has had so much negative press that something as small as this will have no effect on Rockstar. That is a fact.

We are not saying that this will have a negative impact on Rockstar or GTA, all we are trying to do is encourage discussion on to whether this would effect any announcement date.

The media are powerful that's a fact, one story from them can make or break anything. They could bring the game down if they wanted, they could bring anyone down.

And to say that them deaths are not directly as a result of the riots is absolute tosh, gang and race played no part in it. They were killed during the riots, if the riots had not of happened. They wouldn't of died.

We are not saying that this will have a negative impact on Rockstar or GTA, all we are trying to do is encourage discussion on to whether this would effect any announcement date.

The media are powerful that's a fact, one story from them can make or break anything. They could bring the game down if they wanted, they could bring anyone down.

And to say that them deaths are not directly as a result of the riots is absolute tosh, gang and race played no part in it. They were killed during the riots, if the riots had not of happened. They wouldn't of died.

As Miss Cloud said, it is going off topic to discuss the riots but last I heard, the shooting in Croydon was gang related and yes the riots probably did play apart in that but it was likely just someone using it to their advantage. I'm going to repost the link I put at the bottom of page 1. Have a good read and you might realise that something as small as this will have no effect on an announcement, if anything, it would be a great time to announce it because its in everyones mind. Lastly, the media has tried to bring down GTA before and failed. Its no good blaming societies problems on a video game that has nothing to do with the older generation of people who criticise it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_A...es)#Controversy

One policeman blames GTA, and that's cause to pannic about the future of GTA4?

The riots are nothing to do with videogames, and all to do with parental resposibility.

As much as i want GTA V maybe Rockstar should delay the announcement till about a month after the riots end.

Oh crap i'm sure we all know who's gonna get involved now Rockstar's worst enemy Jack Thompson.

Here we go again confused.gif

Yes, the riots are a direct result of a game that came out almost 3 and half years ago. That's what sparked it. It was like a powder keg and it only took that spark to light it up, 3 and half years later. In fact the riots have been going on that whole time. Indeed there's been nonstop rioting since 2001 when GTA III first made it seem realistic in 3D. The current government of the UK is made of rioters who overthrew the government back then and that's how they know GTA causes it. They're afraid the GTA IV era rioters will finally overthrow the GTA III government.

As much as i want GTA V maybe Rockstar should delay the announcement till about a month after the riots end.

Oh crap i'm sure we all know who's gonna get involved now Rockstar's worst enemy Jack Thompson.

Here we go again confused.gif

Well he was disbarred a while ago so I doubt it

Is there a possibility that GTAV might get banned? Because of this violence incidents?

No, no chance of banning.

@Magic_Al: you forgot to mention the Driv3r riots of 2002. They were like the GTA riots, but not as good.

Yes, the riots are a direct result of a game that came out almost 3 and half years ago. That's what sparked it. It was like a powder keg and it only took that spark to light it up, 3 and half years later. In fact the riots have been going on that whole time. Indeed there's been nonstop rioting since 2001 when GTA III first made it seem realistic in 3D. The current government of the UK is made of rioters who overthrew the government back then and that's how they know GTA causes it. They're afraid the GTA IV era rioters will finally overthrow the GTA III government.

No one here has said that gta is a reason for the riots, actually no journalist has. But if Gta was to be announced thus gaining media attention, then no doubt people will chip in and say 'waah gta promotes violence' and 'GTA will cause even more riots' From the GTA side of things, which is why i signed up to this site, any negative press towards the game will be bad press, which is what R* could do without, which will surely make them think that maybe to avoid all this press they will announce it when the riots are all over and when people arent looking for people to blame