You’ve Been Playing GTA IV Wrong

ska

When Grand Theft Auto IV came out, I was swept away. The scope, depth, and scale of the game were almost too much to take in. It seemed like a game in which anything was possible, like a parallel reality, re-created.

Three years, two expansions, and countless hours of vehicular manslaughter have provided some much-needed perspective. These days criticisms abound, from sluggish controls and a finicky camera to inconsistent characterization and bloated plotting. But of all of Grand Theft Auto (and indeed, Red Dead Redemption)'s issues, one is perhaps the most overlooked: The crummy, distracting mini-map.

That icon-strewn circle in the lower-left corner of the screen is a Rockstar perennial; one could even call it a defining feature of their games. In the real world, have you ever walked down an unfamiliar street while consulting your phone's GPS? You're wandering along, intently following the progress of the little blue arrow on the screen, until you trip over a curb and finally look around, at long last getting a sense of where you are actually standing. Hey, there's a world out here!

http://kotaku.com/5828760/youve-been-playing-gta-iv-wrong

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I saw this over on Jalopnik (although it's a Kotaku article) today. It's a fairly long write-up on how different the gameplay can be for Grand Theft Auto IV, or any other game for that matter, once you turn off the mini-map. It's something I've actually never thought about doing, and just reading this makes me want to go replay IV without the mini-map turned on. Even sounds like a good idea to try other games, for that matter.

Also, posted this in GC because I think it's something that can be applied to a multitude of games, not just GTA.

7FTgFLB.png

This is probably gonna get moved into the IV section, but I hope this isn't gonna get deleted, because this is a very interesting topic.

I started playing IV without the mini-map a few months back - I had left my IV collecting dust in the shelf, but I decided to dig it out when the summer holiday started. I started a new save, like my 9th or something, this time, without the mini-map. It was something I had always wanted to try. Ever since that, I haven't played IV with the mini-map once.

Playing without the mini-map makes everything more intense and makes everything require at least a bit of knowledge of the city (which is not a problem for me though), and it makes chases a lot more difficult, as you can never know whether the cops are on you or not.

To everyone who hasn't tried it - try it.

8wjrzl.png

OverTheBelow

It's annoyingly hard to play (some) missions with the minimap off, so I tend not to disable it.

DU8afL0.jpg

sh*t, I want to play without a mini-map now! Sounds like the game would be ten times better. f*ck, why didn't I think of this!

Finn 7 five 11

sh*t, I want to play without a mini-map now! Sounds like the game would be ten times better. f*ck, why didn't I think of this!

When i finish with III, then VC and VCS again i will try it, it could be interesting.

I paid the mini-map on GTA III little heed, and i enjoyed that game so much, so you might be onto something here.

Adam Jensen

So you have to disable in-game feature to have fun with the game. I didn't have to do that in GTA 3 era games to have fun. Conclusion - GTA IV is a boring game.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

This discussion was brought up within a different topic not so long ago; members saying that you weren't playing the game properly until you turned the mini-map off, or atleast the GPS directional markers on the mini-map. Up until this was mentioned, I never actually realised how much I did actually stare at the map as I was driving around the city, and at times I wouldn't even be looking at the road, but just driving around by following the arrow on the map.

I admit, it does spoil it, but I would never have been able to play without the map...not until atleast a few months of gameplay.

Harwood Butch3r

So you have to disable in-game feature to have fun with the game. I didn't have to do that in GTA 3 era games to have fun. Conclusion - GTA IV is a boring game.

sarcasm.gif

OT: It's something I've thought of doing, but never tried it. I admit I tend to use the mini map way too much. Especially the GPS route. It probably wouldn't be that daunting since I know the map pretty well.

Thinking about it evading the cops would be quite hard not knowing where to escape the "circle". F*** it now I'm gonna play without it.

Edited by Miamivicecity

I think I did something like this once, I didn't disable map blips however.

Just so that I had an idea of which direction I had to go.

WF the Hobgoblin

Tried it. Didn't like not being able to see the er 'cop circle' ha ha, eh... hurm.

I can enjoy IV's amazing LC with it just fine, thanks.

Caveat: I would never say you should play a game a certain way to get the most out of it - it should be good straight out of the box.

I've done a complete playthru of GTA4 with everything switched off, the minimap didn't give me as many problems as the damn weapon icon not being there did. It is a good experience if you've played the game a lot of times and you know what you are doing. I'm doing my second playthru of RDR and going for 100% and frankly, god bless the minimap.

How about this for a GTA4 DLC released after the game is three years old. It adds a Yellow Cab Job for Niko, a Fireman job for Johnny and an Ambulance job for Luis. Niko would be driving round in a Yellow cab and peds would hail him down, get in and say the name of a street and the district it is in. The same with Johnny and Luis, but they'd get jobs over the radio. There would be no GPS to get you there, and you would have to learn and memorise the street names - all against the clock. It would add limitless hours of gameplay, especially if there were random scenarios when you made it to your destination.

Sorry, I'm digressin'

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

MonstaMasha

Small question, but does turning off the mini map disable the GPS voice in cars? I know that that would be very interesting, as you wouldn't want to get any old car, but you would go looking specifically for modern cars with a GPS system. Also, the GPS would tell you where to go, so that's a bonus tounge.gif

Just read the article from the OP, ignore me tounge.gif

Edited by MonstaMasha

vertical limit
Conclusion - GTA IV is a boring game.

Well I don't blame them. It is the first GTA developed for the next gen consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) they were some how testing it, if you have played TBoGT then you would notice it is somehow more fun, with cool new weapons, more helicopters and even more cars. The new features like dancing were also fun to do.

No, you don't have to play anything a certain way, don't jump to random unnecessary conclusions.

I've been playing RDR without HUD since I 100% it. I also play GTA 4 without the radar. Guess I was one step ahead.

Harwood Butch3r

Well I don't blame them. It is the first GTA developed for the next gen consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) they were some how testing it, if you have played TBoGT then you would notice it is somehow more fun, with cool new weapons, more helicopters and even more cars. The new features like dancing were also fun to do.

To be honest I had more fun playing GTA IV than TBOGT. Mainly because I thought Luis was a douchebag. Still even with all the extra features I didn't think it was that much more fun.

I don't think some people have quite got the concept that "fun" like someone voicing their opinion is something that's completely subjective. I always go bowling, play pool, darts etc in GTA IV, because to me that stuff is fun, but I never force it on others.

To be honest I had more fun playing GTA IV than TBOGT. Mainly because I thought Luis was a douchebag. Still even with all the extra features I didn't think it was that much more fun.

I think the only reason people like Luis as much as they do is because TBOGT has more features and they probably spent more time playing it and got attached to Luis more. Luis has no drive, he was basically just Tony's b*tch and didn't really do anything for himself.

All the interesting and character-developing stuff happened in his past. He already had all the stuff he wanted in his life, he was just trying to sustain it really. Kind of like TLAD, but heaps less interesting.

Johnny had his gang falling apart and Niko had a sh*tload of drive through the story (Roman, american dream, Darko etc) whereas Luis had no drive other than his mother and his douche friends.

sorry if this was a bit OT, just had to get it off my chest.

Does anybody have an idea as to what the latest mod for GTA 4 is? Please let me know because I am playing GTA 5 and almost finished it.

Edited by Girish

I never thought about this, but it does actually sound quite interesting. I've never tried it either, but I imagine it would add a new sense of realism to the game. It would make you truly think about where you're going. It will also test you on how well you know the map. People who don't know it would struggle, but addicts to the game would probably find it very easy.

If I decide to play the game again though, I will certainly give this a try, to see how well I cope without the map.

Sometimes I do it to know more the city!!

na89340qv0n34b09q340

I'm attempting this now, I also turned off the hud, Complex aiming, and auto-aiming. It feels more real, but I've been using Taxis more often, because it's confusing.

spaceeinstein

Any games with the minimap off (or any handicaps turned off, like auto-aim) makes them more interesting and challenging to play, not just GTA IV. Unlike most games, GTA gives you the option to turn off the HUD. And please don't feed the troll, you can't reason with those kind of people.

I imagine this would make missions where you have to chase someone really hard unless you know from memory which direction they went.

When I first played San Andreas, the sheer size of the cities and the map felt a bit overwhelming. As I progressed, I started to feel like I knew the streets better. When playing and driving around I could navigate myself to any point on the map just from memory.

Can't say this is the case with IV. Sure, I could probably take an educated guess but I never learnt the streets of Liberty City as well as I knew those of SA, VC or III's LC. I think an over reliance on the minimap is to blame.

user posted image

Take this and shut the f*ck up. Here's your reality. Instead of spending hours of argueing about some feature, spend a few minuts to get to know a modding tool and make a script that does exactly what you want. No programming knowledge needed.

DOWNLOAD

I played GTA IV. Finished it 2 times and played a lot of free roaming and I know almost every single road in GTA IV exept for Northwood in Westdyke and Leftwood some alleyways. Never paid attention to the radar unless using the GPS system for following a certain road.

Edited by ikt

Finally!

I have been doing this all the time...

I have got 100% without any HUD, without GPS in car voice, autoaim, complex aim, and every other assist. i never cheated.

I know every street in LC from my head...

I have finished gta-iv for about 12times and each episode 3-5 times....

Also have finished game where , newer bought weapons in shop, never killed any non mission required ped, without running down people, with shooting accuracy about 90%, and never died or got busted or use mission replay feature... Yes i never failed mission - but EVERY GTA i always play with no busted, never died, never failed mission attitude... If i fail any of that i just load up last save game...

And im on PC... Consules suck!

Harwood Butch3r
And im on PC... Consules suck!

Way to go moron. confused.gif

If you dont have the Mini map on how do you know where to go for mission objectives? Or do you just take cabs?