Computer slows down after some time.

Pooka Mustard

Pooka Mustard

So I bought a new computer with the specs provided in my sig. The computer runs games like Minecraft and Max Payne 2 fine until some time (maybe approx. 1 hour), after that Minecraft begins to unusually lag that I can't move well, and Max Payne 2 begins to stutter. If one of these games slows down, then the Windows and the rest of the games I own will slow down too. Only a restart will make my games run fine again but it still slows down after some time again, restart, and so on. It's driving me crazy, I installed the drivers provided from my motherboard disc, and I even installed at some time the latest Intel G41 Express Chipset driver from Windows Update.

What do I do now to get rid of this problem? I bought the computer to have upgradable specs and better gaming but I have no idea what's the thing that slows down my Windows and the games and only a restart is a temporary fix, which is tedious every moment and later to make a restart to get the games run fine again.

Help is appreciated. Please, I don't want to get no help.

NeedForSpeedXP
So I bought a new computer with the specs provided in my sig. The computer runs games like Minecraft and Max Payne 2 fine until some time (maybe approx. 1 hour), after that Minecraft begins to unusually lag that I can't move well, and Max Payne 2 begins to stutter. If one of these games slows down, then the Windows and the rest of the games I own will slow down too. Only a restart will make my games run fine again but it still slows down after some time again, restart, and so on. It's driving me crazy, I installed the drivers provided from my motherboard disc, and I even installed at some time the latest Intel G41 Express Chipset driver from Windows Update.

What do I do now to get rid of this problem? I bought the computer to have upgradable specs and better gaming but I have no idea what's the thing that slows down my Windows and the games and only a restart is a temporary fix, which is tedious every moment and later to make a restart to get the games run fine again.

Help is appreciated. Please, I don't want to get no help.

It could be a problem with your computer.

When did you buy it?

Please visit my better GTA Forum!

Just click on "better GTA Forum!" and it will take you there.

Pooka Mustard

When did you buy it?

I bought it at 29 of July, means that it's approx 2 weeks at my home.

Could you figure out what the thing that causes that?

NeedForSpeedXP

When did you buy it?

I bought it at 29 of July, means that it's approx 2 weeks at my home.

Could you figure out what the thing that causes that?

I can't because I'm not a computer expert. sad.gif

If there is a computer shop near you, I'd say take it down to them.

Please visit my better GTA Forum!

Just click on "better GTA Forum!" and it will take you there.

Are you sure there is not something draining all the power in the background, have you checked the Processes tab in Task Manager to see what is draining all the Memory, if something seems really high compared to the others shut it down by right clicking and going End Process, and to be honest I think your PC does need a good upgrade even if it is gradual.

Pooka Mustard
Are you sure there is not something draining all the power in the background, have you checked the Processes tab in Task Manager to see what is draining all the Memory, if something seems really high compared to the others shut it down by right clicking and going End Process, and to be honest I think your PC does need a good upgrade even if it is gradual.

If I had a real high process other than the game I currently run, I take it out.

I don't leave anything running with a high end game, and stay like that for the time, the game all of a sudden slows out and Windows itself, then I see no process that makes the stuttering.

If my PC needs an upgrade, what parts should I upgrade to get rid of this problem? I know my video card is an Intel and I hate it, but when a game slows down I quit it and hold left click at the desktop and make my selection box bigger while moving my mouse fast, if I noticed it doesn't get big smoothly then I know it's not a video card problem, but either a processor, RAM or mobo problem, so what should I do if I take the upgrade path?

Well the main things to upgrade are the CPU, RAM and GPU, GPU will be the easiest as all you need is a PCI-E slot I would try and get either a 5700/6700 Series or Higher AMD Radeon Card (Or what ever a nVidia Equiv is), RAM & the CPU will depend on what the Motherboard will handle so I cannot help you with that, but if money is an issue AMD Processes and Motherboards are a good Idea as you can get quite a bit of power for less money than an Intel Version. could you post more info of what you are willing to do.

Pooka Mustard
Well the main things to upgrade are the CPU, RAM and GPU, GPU will be the easiest as all you need is a PCI-E slot I would try and get either a 5700/6700 Series or Higher AMD Radeon Card (Or what ever a nVidia Equiv is), RAM & the CPU will depend on what the Motherboard will handle so I cannot help you with that, but if money is an issue AMD Processes and Motherboards are a good Idea as you can get quite a bit of power for less money than an Intel Version. could you post more info of what you are willing to do.

I'm just willing to fix this problem, I'm not into all these upgrades all at once, as the graphics card is good for now until nVidia knocks it out, I just want to get rid of this problem with minimal upgrades, and so, less money spent.

Getting rid of this issue is what I'm willing to and the moment, and I can't afford upgrades at the moment, so if I know what's the thing that causes all that, I'd replace it with the best one I could find.

By the way, is a Core 2 Duo processor good? I've been told that GTAIV needs it, so I'm just asking if it is.

A Core 2 is not the newest or best, but for your motherboard it would be, i think it is a step up from the Celeron D depending on which Core 2 you get.

Added:

I cannot be to sure what is causing the problem maybe an upgrade for more RAM could ease the problem.

If both RAM Slots are already used try replacing both with two 4GB 1333 chips.

Edited by ALMOST610

Pooka Mustard
A Core 2 is not the newest or best, but for your motherboard it would be, i think it is a step up from the Celeron D depending on which Core 2 you get.

Good you told me, If it was for the processor I'd go with a Core 2 Duo.

All that remains now is how to fix the cursed problem. I never knew I could get a lot of replies that short, thank you guys for helping me out until that stage of the problem game.

I cannot be to sure what is causing the problem maybe an upgrade for more RAM could ease the problem.

Posted that again just incase you missed it above.

Is there any chance you could tell us what Local PC store you place to go to so we can have a look around there site and find you what we think is best, and also do you know what PC it is you have (Make & Model)

Pooka Mustard

Posted that again just incase you missed it above.

Is there any chance you could tell us what Local PC store you place to go to so we can have a look around there site and find you what we think is best, and also do you know what PC it is you have (Make & Model)

I don't know where it was sold, I made a relative of mine go to buy me a good computer and thought it was good until I found out this problem. I shouldn't make relatives buy me again.. The store is outside of the US.

I didn't miss what you posted above, in fact I've seen it.

All what I know is that my case is an Active one, left it at it's same condition since it was bought. However, the model or PC make, dunno. All what I know is that the motherboard disc had two drivers for the graphic cards (one especially for it and the other is a Media Accelerator), and one driver for my audio card, and the drivers are for both cards, so I assume Foxconn was the maker of the PC, however I'm unsure.

I actually meant the Local PC store where you would purchase the new parts, the MOBO is a Foxconn but they dont make whole PC's just parts for them it could be a custom built pc.

Pooka Mustard

I actually meant the Local PC store where you would purchase the new parts, the MOBO is a Foxconn but they dont make whole PC's just parts for them it could be a custom built pc.

Once again, I live outside of the US, and if I looked to an upgrade I'd check the nearest store to me. Whatever the computer is, I would like to know exactly how to know the model. I putted dxdiag to work, and noticed that the manufacturer and the system model are both O.E.M

What does it means anyways?

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, usually they will be the Either the Motherboard Manufacturer or the Systems Manufacturer, if it says OEM my guess is that it is a Custom PC so there will be no model number anywhere.

On a normal branded PC it would be in DXDiag under System Model or it can be found on the case somewhere (If It is a Branded PC, Customs wont have it only the Case Model)

Pooka Mustard
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, usually they will be the Either the Motherboard Manufacturer or the Systems Manufacturer, if it says OEM my guess is that it is a Custom PC so there will be no model number anywhere.

On a normal branded PC it would be in DXDiag under System Model or it can be found on the case somewhere (If It is a Branded PC, Customs wont have it only the Case Model)

I have nicely check all 4 sides of the case, and looked above it to see, but I found nothing. Plus if the case gets moved too much, it shuts down, so I need to move the case carefully while not shutting down, and so can't check the bottom of the case, the last side I didn't check. But who would place stickers at the bottom of the case?

I would see, later.

You then clearly have a custom PC, The first thing I would do is look into how much x2 4GB Single DDR3 RAM (Either 1333 or 1066 Speed), from what I have found your motherboard will only support a Maximum of 8GB of Ram and has only 2 RAM Slots (DDR3) so by replacing your present RAM with that you will get the max possible from that part.

Judging by you have a 3.20Ghz Processor I think the RAM would be a more likely contender for the lack of speed at times, even try just getting 1 new 4GB RAM stick (1333 or 1066 speed) and if the problem does not improve just take the RAM back to the Local PC Store.

You may notice that I keep posting 1333 or 1066, that is because there is different speeds to RAM they are the two highest speeds your MOBO will support, it is no use buying large amounts of RAM if the speed they run at is not as high as possible.

If you get a spare moment try and check what speed RAM you are presently using, you might have to open the PC and turn it off to do so.

EDIT:

Done a little research and if you really have an Intel Celeron D 352, some info to know on it is that it was Launched in 2006 and Intel Recommended price for Retail is $40 (USD I Think), also which Intel Core 2 Duo did you plan on upgrading to?

Edited by ALMOST610

Pooka Mustard

You then clearly have a custom PC, The first thing I would do is look into how much x2 4GB Single DDR3 RAM (Either 1333 or 1066 Speed), from what I have found your motherboard will only support a Maximum of 8GB of Ram and has only 2 RAM Slots (DDR3) so by replacing your present RAM with that you will get the max possible from that part.

Judging by you have a 3.20Ghz Processor I think the RAM would be a more likely contender for the lack of speed at times, even try just getting 1 new 4GB RAM stick (1333 or 1066 speed) and if the problem does not improve just take the RAM back to the Local PC Store.

You may notice that I keep posting 1333 or 1066, that is because there is different speeds to RAM they are the two highest speeds your MOBO will support, it is no use buying large amounts of RAM if the speed they run at is not as high as possible.

If you get a spare moment try and check what speed RAM you are presently using, you might have to open the PC and turn it off to do so.

EDIT:

Done a little research and if you really have an Intel Celeron D 352, some info to know on it is that it was Launched in 2006 and Intel Recommended price for Retail is $40 (USD I Think), also which Intel Core 2 Duo did you plan on upgrading to?

Ok, now I have a custom PC. But now what?

These RAM stuff is complicated to me, that's my first time getting into these complicated stuff. All what I knew was to buy the upgrade and you're done, but now choosing an upgrade is crucial due to these info.

I fear that by opening my PC I would ruin a part or get a cable accidently un-plugged that I later have no idea why my computer doesn't run. Could I know what kind of RAM I use by programs or so?

About the Core 2 Duo I have no idea what are you talking about, but it could be middle of the way. Since you told me the processor is too old, I should get something newer, and affordable.

EDIT: I'm going Minecrafting on my old laptop, so I may check this topic again later.

Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez

Slowing down after time ... maybe it's a heating issue?

Check your temps with CoreTemp or HW Monitor and report back, just to be sure.

Pooka Mustard
Slowing down after time ... maybe it's a heating issue?

Check your temps with CoreTemp or HW Monitor and report back, just to be sure.

I don't think it is an overheating issue, however, I think that it has to do with my hardware, since I only restart to temporary fix the problem, and it restarts quick for the games to run fine again. However, I'll check my computer temp and report back later.

OverTheBelow

Probably temperature problems. Clear out any dust that may of built up inside the computer.

DU8afL0.jpg

Pooka Mustard

I've grabbed HW Monitor (why does CoreTemp needs it's specially made processors anyways?) and I have lots of temp stuff. Which are the most important of them?

OverTheBelow

Your core temps and your GPU temperature while gaming should not go above 90C. If they do then thats probably the reason for it slowing down, as it throttles itself when it gets too hot to prevent damage.

DU8afL0.jpg

Pooka Mustard
Your core temps and your GPU temperature while gaming should not go above 90C. If they do then thats probably the reason for it slowing down, as it throttles itself when it gets too hot to prevent damage.

My core temp and GPU mustn't go over 90C...

I'm still unsure what thing does determine my temp of both core and GPU, but the Temperatures tab says that max of the TMPIN0 is 92C and it is now value 86C (I even seen it touch the 90C)..

Exxon, do you know how to determine the core and GPU temp?

Pooka Mustard

Psssst! Looks like HW Monitor hates both my processor and my GPU. It doesn't list them. I only get the fans, motherboard and hard disk but not my processor and GPU. Why are these programs suckers? Why not just calculate the temp without looking into the parts used in the PC instead?

What now?

I couldn't see any of my pc parts first, you have to start it as admin to get it to work right.

Atleast, that helped me. See if it helps and report back.

Pooka Mustard

I couldn't see any of my pc parts first, you have to start it as admin to get it to work right.

Atleast, that helped me. See if it helps and report back.

Run as Administrator you mean? I always log into my computer as an admin with a picture of Link (lol), and I ran it now as an administrator, I didn't get the other parts. Only the hard disk and the mobo.

Hmms ... then I don't know what to do else, sorry mate confused.gif

But I think it's the harddrive, since it reaches +90 C.

If you'd buy a new one, you could test it, but I think that's it.

Pooka Mustard
Hmms ... then I don't know what to do else, sorry mate confused.gif

But I think it's the harddrive, since it reaches +90 C.

If you'd buy a new one, you could test it, but I think that's it.

Looks like I understood it..

Hard drive temps are always at 40C (lol), while the mobo's TMPIN0 have reached MAX 100C...

90C....jesus you can fry an egg on that thing