Ground Dissapearing With a Decent card

piemaster

I just upgraded my Graphics card from a 512mb 8800GT to a GTX 460 2GB. On High settings, my ground dissapears, and everything gets blurry, just like what happened with the 8800GT I replaced. My sliders are around 25% full, and everything is on high except night shaddows on medium. I have a friend with the same exact card and he can do Very High without the render problem. It wont even render at 1024x768. Would overclocking my graphics card help at all? Or is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a Phenom II x4 @ 3.2 ghz, and 4gb of ddr3.

I ain't a genius,but did you try to lower the graphics or reinstalling the game?And what's your OS?

OverTheBelow
I just upgraded my Graphics card from a 512mb 8800GT to a GTX 460 2GB. On High settings, my ground dissapears, and everything gets blurry, just like what happened with the 8800GT I replaced. My sliders are around 25% full, and everything is on high except night shaddows on medium. I have a friend with the same exact card and he can do Very High without the render problem. It wont even render at 1024x768. Would overclocking my graphics card help at all? Or is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a Phenom II x4 @ 3.2 ghz, and 4gb of ddr3.

Got the latest drivers installed? You shouldn't be having these issues even at standard clocks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista...hql-driver.html

DU8afL0.jpg

It's called 'pop in', I've seen it happen on faster hardware than yours.

that is not pop in and is a very uneducated thing to say. pop in is when trees and buildings etc suddenly pop in as you go along.

the instance the op is having is either os related, left over driver segments from old card, or game file problem. op what os are you running, what driver version for video card, and what motherboard do you have?

Well, the PSU I bought to run the GTX 460 is failing, so I sent it back this morning for a replacement. Right now im using my 8800GT with driver version 275.33 on Windows 7. The driver I was using with my GTX 460 was what ever came with the disc, didnt even have a version number, so that could be the problem. When I get my replacement PSU from Newegg, Ill download the driver from the Nvidia website instead and see what happens.

Well, the PSU I bought to run the GTX 460 is failing, so I sent it back this morning for a replacement. Right now im using my 8800GT with driver version 275.33 on Windows 7. The driver I was using with my GTX 460 was what ever came with the disc, didnt even have a version number, so that could be the problem. When I get my replacement PSU from Newegg, Ill download the driver from the Nvidia website instead and see what happens.

discs that come with computer hardware in most cases are honestly just packaged to further decay our environment. they should just come with a note to go to blah blah blah website and download the latest drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly got my new Power Supply and my GTX460 is up and running. I am still getting slow rendering. Im at driver version 280.26. Any ideas? Im running on high settings, which I think I should be, since a friend with the same card can run everything except for shadows on very high. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but nothing changed. I suppose I could re-download the game from steam...

Edited by piemaster

I finaly got my new Power Supply and my GTX460 is up and running. I am still getting slow rendering. Im at driver version 280.26. Any ideas? Im running on high settings, which I think I should be, since a friend with the same card can run everything except for shadows on very high. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but nothing changed. I suppose I could re-download the game from steam...

but does your friend have the exact same computer as you.... you cannot just compare video cards

I finaly got my new Power Supply and my GTX460 is up and running.  I am still getting slow rendering.  Im at driver version 280.26.  Any ideas?  Im running on high settings, which I think I should be, since a friend with the same card can run everything except for shadows on very high.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but nothing changed.  I suppose I could re-download the game from steam...

but does your friend have the exact same computer as you.... you cannot just compare video cards

No, he has 4gb of ram like I do, and he has a 3.0 ghz dual core, whereas I have a 3.2 quad. Both AMD. Not sure what his is, but mine is a Phenom ii x4

and a different motherboard can mean a big difference, and what about different ram types/timings/speeds

Go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Rockstar Games\GTAIV

and delete the 'Settings' folder.

Now start up IV, reapply your settings and see if it still happens.

FIOszpJ.gif

He literally has a $5 Biostar AM2+ motherboard, and I have a Gigabyte GA-870a-UD3. When I get home today I will try to delete the settings folder.

Not sure what his ram is clocked at, but his graphics card can do all very high+high shadows on stock clocks (Factory OC, same as mine) and with a little bit of OC, all high settings. His CPU is somewhere around 3-3.2 ghz. He is off and on OC'ing it, but 3.2 max.

Edited by piemaster

My PSU failed AGAIN. Old one still works, so I sent it back for a refund and now im getting a HCG 750. Should be here by friday at the latest.

My PSU failed AGAIN. Old one still works, so I sent it back for a refund and now im getting a HCG 750. Should be here by friday at the latest.

AGAIN? as in it has happened before? id question if that motherboard is a problem.

The old PSU still works, but it could be the motherboard. Hope its not, but at leatst I would have a reason to upgrade to an SLI am3+ motherboard... It could also be that my graphics card needs 24 A on a rail, and the rosewill was only providing 20. The new one im getting has 40 Amps on each 12V rail, so I hope I'm good. A month or so ago I did get some signs the motherboard could be failing, but that was for one day, and then it stopped. (Saying I had a new CPU when I logged on)

If it is my motherboard, what would be a good choice for $150 USD? Im looking for 2-way SLI and AM3+. Ive found this one, but the current BIOS seems to be all screwed up. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128514

Edited by piemaster

My Antec HCG 750 arrived today, and ive been playing IV. So far it hasn't shut down (Knock on wood) and I deleted the settings folder like you said, and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Warlord!

this was the replace power supply topic i have been looking for. glad its sorted.