If you can mod, can you port?

CommonSeb

I have had a longer argument with a friend at work.

This comes as a (probably very stupid) question from someone who knows next to nothing

about modding but I can not think of a better place to get a qualified answere.

Here it goes:

You guys can create amazing mods for an already released pc game. Damn it, you can recreate san andreas with

the rage engine! How much work would it be, and is it possible, for modders like yourselves to port a game from console

to pc?

My best answere in this discussion were "If it was possible then we would probably be playing Red Dead Redemption on PC by now"

And all this wondering has got me craving for an explanation catspider.gif

Sorry for creating a new topic just for this but I just had to...

This comes as a (probably very stupid) question from someone who knows next to nothing

Here it goes:

You guys can create amazing mods for an already released pc game. Damn it, you can recreate san andreas with

the rage engine! How much work would it be, and is it possible, for modders like yourselves to port a game from console

to pc?

My best answere in this discussion were "If it was possible then we would probably be playing Red Dead Redemption on PC by now"

Port? No.

Recreating it using a program that converts the models and put them in the RAGE engine and some scripters? Possible. But hard.

spaceeinstein

This has nothing to do with coding, should've started in IV Other.

Anything is possible, but you first need to have people who have knowledge on how to do the task and then have them motivated enough to do that task. It's really not hard to put SA into the RAGE engine (or converting models from one GTA to another, so that doesn't even come close to porting at all...). So far it just consists of a few tasks simple enough for most people to do, since RAGE already has everything a GTA-like game needs, like cars.

I'm actually not impressed that people managed to put SA, VC, or III into RAGE; those people aren't creating any original content. I'm surprised it took this long to make them. From what I last saw, there's nothing to do in those mods. All you can do is roam around. I don't think NPCs spawn at all. Do you consider that amazing? Even the WTC mod looks more impressive to me because the models are at least built by hand.

As far as I know, the only mod that came close to transferring an entire game into a GTA game is the GTA: LC mod for VC. None of the conversion mods for RAGE comes close. So transferring an entirely different game into another one, that is something I think no one here would want to do. Just converting the base maps models would be vastly easier but it's much easier to access the tools to convert the models from older GTAs than from other games like RDR.

Edited by spaceeinstein

Anything is possible, but you first need to have people who have knowledge on how to do the task and then have them motivated enough to do that task. It's really not hard to put SA into the RAGE engine (or converting models from one GTA to another, so that doesn't even come close to porting at all...). So far it just consists of a few tasks simple enough for most people to do, since RAGE already has everything a GTA-like game needs, like cars.

I'm actually not impressed that people managed to put SA, VC, or III into RAGE; those people aren't creating any original content. I'm surprised it took this long to make them. From what I last saw, there's nothing to do in those mods. All you can do is roam around. I don't think NPCs spawn at all. Do you consider that amazing? Even the WTC mod looks more impressive to me because the models are at least built by hand.

As far as I know, the only mod that came close to transferring an entire game into a GTA game is the GTA: LC mod for VC. None of the conversion mods for RAGE comes close. So transferring an entirely different game into another one, that is something I think no one here would want to do. Just converting the base maps models would be vastly easier but it's much easier to access the tools to convert the models from older GTAs than from other games like RDR.

Than you for taking time to answere smile.gif

Would like to argue but have no knowledge to back it up. And you seem to know what you are talking about.

thaCURSEDpie

As far as I remember no NPCs spawn yet because there's no decent way to export/import paths...

But that's maybe getting a bit too much in depth.

To answer the question asked in this topic:

Porting is really, really hard. This is because the game wasn't designed to be played on a PC, but on a console. The first thing you'd have to do is copy all files onto your computer. That's nice and all, but what now? You have a bunch of files on your computer, but the computer doesn't know what to do with it... So you need to figure that out yourself.

If you really wanted to do this, it would be VERY time-consuming. To take an example: the actual code (game-engine, decisionmaking, etc) is run in an executable file. If you open this file, it looks like rubbish: it's not meant to be read by humans, it's meant to be only read by the processor. (look up: assembly languages).

You'd have to 'find out' the meaning of this code, rewrite it in a higher-level language (prolly C++) and compile for your PC.

Basically you're building up the game from scratch, only then you are trying to do it by solving a puzzle containing millions of pieces (you don't even know how many pieces there really are).

And then I've not even begun on API calls which of course won't migrate to your PC natively, image files you need to decode, audio, models...

It's a mess tounge.gif.

spaceeinstein

As far as I remember no NPCs spawn yet because there's no decent way to export/import paths...

I know, that's why I'm not impressed on what has progressed so far. Those projects mainly focus on converting models. I have played many total conversion mods where there's nothing to do in them and many of these new projects are no exceptions. That's why I have become unimpressed at people merely converting and placing models into another engine.

Edited by spaceeinstein

Just converting the base maps models would be vastly easier but it's much easier to access the tools to convert the models from older GTAs than from other games like RDR.

That point is not true. Once you have the model in max, selfmade, RDR or from wherever, the skill needed is exactly the same. Its not harder to make RDR models into IV as it is with SA models.

Problem is: even if you remodel SA, which would be a huge effort and 400% more difficult compared to a plain convert, Rage would quit right after hitting the exe.

There is no space left. All you could do is use the materials from IV, use bumpmaps and else. Fact: IV models are NOT better than SA models. They just use better shaders and bumpmaps.

But the main problem is another one, noone mentioned it before: there are no tools. Think about how long ZM is supporting IV vehicles - noone even tried to make a Max script afaik.. Flitsikker&else have developed their own tools to convert SA to IV, besides the existing ones. In my eyes, that makes IV:SA impressive. Tho the end result is not impressive to any user, but users don't look behind the curtains.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it goes:

to pc?

A port is next to impossible. Not because it's impossible, but it would take a ridiculous amount of time.

You'd basically have to remake every bit. I'd be more feasable to remake the game.

When you play a game on a console and on a PC, the game looks the same, but behind the scenes, they're like Yin and Yang.