Lithuania's mayor cruising for a crushing!

Dobleh

The mayor of Lithuania's capital, Vilnius, has been filmed using an armoured vehicle to crush a car parked illegally in a cycle lane. "That's what will happen if you park your car illegally," Mayor Arturas Zuokas, an avid cyclist, says in a clip posted on the Vilnius City website. The apparent owner then arrives to see his wrecked Mercedes being towed. – via BBC

Blatant PR stunt, police corden off road with one car in it. 100% sure thats a set up

Publicity stunt, indeed. The owner seemed way too calm, shaking the mayor's hand and acknowledging his mistake. If it was anyone else, the mayor would have had the living daylights knocked out of him.

Also, what happened to the good 'ol days of towing away illegally parked cars?

So rather then just tow it away, they run it over and smash glass and god knows what else all over the street, meaning that they now need to pay someone to clean it up? This lacks logic suicidal.gif

But like you said its more then likely just a PR stunt.

SIG-2.jpg

OysterBarron

i just feel sorry for the poor 5 year old that was in the back!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Yeah guys it's a publicity stunt. Notice how there are no cars there at all. I used to drive through that place on a daily basis when I was working for the Lithuanian Parliament , it's usually packed. Also that mayor hosted a couple of lectures at my uni, he used to be a businessman so he knows his sh*t.

user posted image

While obviously it is a publicity stunt I believe people who have no respect for cyclists should have that or worse done to their vehicle and have to pay for the removal of their vehicle along with a hefty fine.

Who rides a bicycle after they're 15 or so anyway? Get a car you f*ckin hippy!

uYW1Olw.png

Lithuania sure is screaming for attention right now dozingoff.gif

Pretty funny nonetheless

user posted image

^ They're not, the guy got elected recently so he's trying to bring some humor into the whole thing. All major papers just thought it would be cool to report this stunt.

Who rides a bicycle after they're 15 or so anyway? Get a car you f*ckin hippy!

You can't get a driver's license in the EU if you're under 18 bro

user posted image

Publicity stunt, indeed. The owner seemed way too calm, shaking the mayor's hand and acknowledging his mistake. If it was anyone else, the mayor would have had the living daylights knocked out of him.

1. He was shown riding his bicycle carefully and responsibly in that lane. Bull crap, that's staged.

2. He is nice enough to sweep up the glass himself. Bull crap, that's staged.

3. The "owner" came out within five minutes, yet didn't notice them planning this? Bull crap, that's staged.

I agree, PR stunt.

pkmTc.gif

I believe people who have no respect for cyclists should have that or worse done to their vehicle

And I believe cyclists who have no respect for motorists should be scraped off of the road with a shovel.

smile.gif

Slosten.gif

I believe people who have no respect for cyclists should have that or worse done to their vehicle

And I believe cyclists who have no respect for motorists should be scraped off of the road with a shovel.

smile.gif

Dur, that's what happens anyway ya?

Narcis_speed6
I simply love how he leaves the place on a bike, 'haters gonna hate'

AlexGTAGamer

Did the owner of that smashed car just thank him for smashing it?

smile.gif

Dur, that's what happens anyway ya?

I can think of one cyclist it hasn't happened to yet, unfortunately.

Slosten.gif

smile.gif

The problem is, it's usually idiot motorists causing the accident because they don't understand that bicycles are vehicles that legally belong on the road (there's a similar problem with car/truck drivers and motorcycles because car drivers often can't comprehend and respect safe-driving distances from the bikes). Sure, there are bleeding-heart annoying as f*ck cyclists (you know, the kinds that participate in critical masses and sh*t, giving the rest of us a bad rap) but when you're used to riding bikes as often as you drive, you tend to see things in a different light.

4XEtraA.jpg

So when a cyclist dashes through a red light or ignores a stop sign, or weaves their way through traffic, it's my fault because I don't understand that they legally belong on the road, and have to follow the same laws that the rest of us are expected to follow?

Slosten.gif

OysterBarron

typical cyclist in my town! when the lights facing you go green its safe to cross where the cyclist is!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

So when a cyclist dashes through a red light or ignores a stop sign, or weaves their way through traffic, it's my fault because I don't understand that they legally belong on the road, and have to follow the same laws that the rest of us are expected to follow?

You understand that usually is the operating word in my post, right? More often than not, bikes getting hit are from getting cut off or people pulling out too far into a bike lane. If the cyclist gets hit from running a light, of course it's their f*cking fault - where did I say they could ignore traffic laws? I suggested the complete opposite. It's just the fact that you think it'd be okay to splatter somebody on the pavement with much less protection (read: none) than you in a car because they're riding like an asshole is really disturbs me, especially since you obviously have some sort of predisposition that all cyclists are like that (if you go anywhere that has a large biking population, you'll realize that isn't the case whatsoever).

4XEtraA.jpg

You understand that usually is the operating word in my post, right? More often than not, bikes getting hit are from getting cut off or people pulling out too far into a bike lane. If the cyclist gets hit from running a light, of course it's their f*cking fault - where did I say they could ignore traffic laws? I suggested the complete opposite. It's just the fact that you think it'd be okay to splatter somebody on the pavement with much less protection (read: none) than you in a car because they're riding like an asshole is really disturbs me, especially since you obviously have some sort of predisposition that all cyclists are like that (if you go anywhere that has a large biking population, you'll realize that isn't the case whatsoever).

I was being sarcastic in my first post, but honestly, if someone on a bicycle runs a red light or ignores a stop sign and ends up getting hit, it's no skin off my bones, just like if someone in a car runs a red light or ignores a stop sign, gets hit, and ends up seriously wounded or even dead, it's no skin off my bones. If you're a cyclist and you're somehow offended by all of this, I apologize, because I'm only referring to the arrogant minority that cause so many problems for other people, but I stand by my opinion.

Slosten.gif

Not offended at all, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've actually heard the opinions that cyclists belong on the sidewalk because they're not cars (and some more violent opinions which is why I responded the way I did). I've actually been yelled at after being cut off and nearly hit from a car turning into my lane a handful of times. People just don't know how to drive around bikes here, and this is in a sizable metropolitan city too. Cincinnati has sh*t for public transportation, so when I don't feel like driving and looking for parking in the more populated parts of the city if I'm not going long distances, I'll ride my bike - and a lot of people are starting to as well.

If a cyclist breaks traffic laws and I see them do it, I'll let them know. He makes other cyclists look bad as well as putting himself and people around him at risk.

4XEtraA.jpg

I know a lot of people here dislike cyclists since the oil money is here, many people working on the rigs like to buy the big diesel trucks which take up all the space on the roads and they don't like anyone being in their way (not to mention drivers in Alberta are terrible). To them, cyclists are an inconvenience. I feel bad for the cyclists, though, because at least in Edmonton, designated bike lanes are pretty much non-existent; there's a few near the University, but that's about it and the police force is pretty strict about enforcing the no bikes on the sidewalks, so the cyclists do end up on the roads (which is, of course, perfectly legal). As I said, though, people don't like that and they will do whatever they can to force the cyclists off the road and onto the sidewalks which is unfair.

I have no problems with cyclists on the roads as long as they obey the rules of the road (which, 99% of the time, is not an issue). The only time, as a driver, that I've had a problem with a cyclist was when he went from biking on the sidewalk and then suddenly decided to cut across four lanes of traffic without warning; I was quite pissed since I could have hit him, but at the same time, it was his fault for being a moron. I know when he stopped after crossing the road, someone gave him a good yelling, but he just gave them the finger and went on his way.

Aside from that, I've never really encountered any problems with the cyclists in the city. Granted, I rarely drive since I don't own a vehicle and when I do take public transportation, it's the LRT, so a person riding a bike shouldn't be on the tracks in the first place.

[EDIT] Grammar.

Edited by Icarus.
clEsyRO.gif