Help - I'm going crazy!

number13

Hi all,

Hopefully someone's experienced this problem before and can help me, as it's driving me insane.

I bought GTAIV from Steam the other day (as part of the Complete GTA Pack) and I'm having a really annoying problem with it.

Bascially, the game starts fine and runs smoothly enough. Until I hit anything.

I can get into a car and drive around, and it's quite happy to let me, but the second my car touches anything else - another car, a lamppost, a tree, etc - the game freezes. Sound continues, but the rest hangs, and even Task Manager can't make it quit - I have to do a hard reset. I've tried this with the lowest settings for all the graphics options, the auto configure, the highest, etc. All with the same result. Weird thing is that impacts in the 'benchmark' don't have this effect.

Has anyone had this problem and have any idea how to fix it?

My specs are:

Windows 7 Home Prem (64bit)

Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07Ghz 4.42Ghz

4 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Could be a driver related issue. Have you updated your video drivers? If not, do so.

Also, try deleting all files from the Settings folder located here - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\

You can also try running the game in Win XP SP3 or Vista SP1/SP2 compatibility modes.

I've updated all my GPU drivers. Was the first thing I thought of, but no joy.

How do I run it in compatibility mode via Steam? I'm a Steam newbie, so I've never used it before - is it just a case of finding the GTAIV exe and setting that, or do I have to do something in Steam itself?

I tried, as a test, not getting into a car at all, and the game let me run around and punch people, etc, fine, but then I got clipped by a car turning a corner and it froze again. It seems to be directly related to cars impacting. It's weird as hell.

OverTheBelow

Go to the Steam folder -> steamapps -> common -> GTA 4 folder, then find GTAIV.exe in the directory. Right click -> properties -> compatibility tab -> "Run this program in compatibility mode.". Do the same for LaunchGTAIV.exe.

DU8afL0.jpg

Well, I've tried everything mentioned so far, but no joy. Still freezing the second a car impact occurs sad.gif

If your system is freezing, it probably has nothing to do with the game directly. It will probably be a driver problem or maybe there are some errors on the HDD. You may want to run chkdsk to check for problems.

If your system is freezing, it probably has nothing to do with the game directly. It will probably be a driver problem or maybe there are some errors on the HDD. You may want to run chkdsk to check for problems.

It's pretty much a brand new system. GTAIV, Steam and Photoshop CS5 are the only things installed on it so far. I've ran chkdsk, but nothing comes up.

The driver thing is hard to pin down tho, seeing as it's not a random error. I can play the game on foot, or driving, for as long as I want right up until the point a car hits something on-screen, and it INSTANTLY freezes.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something missing somewhere - a sound file for the impact noise or something? Would that cause something like this to happen?

No, under any conditions the game should not cause system freezes requiring a hard reset.

Make sure you have installed all drivers available for your system, especially motherboard. Also make sure to load safe default settings in bios.

No, under any conditions the game should not cause system freezes requiring a hard reset.

Make sure you have installed all drivers available for your system, especially motherboard. Also make sure to load safe default settings in bios.

It's not that the system itself becomes unresponsive. If I ctrl-alt-delete I can bring up Task Manager and go into and use other programs. It's just that GTA won't close, even if I "end task" on it.

Which is weird as well, I guess.

I'm having the EXACT problem. I have actually been playing the game for about 2 weeks now w/ no problems. It just started yesterday or the day before. Help me!

YankeesPwnMets
I'm having the EXACT problem. I have actually been playing the game for about 2 weeks now w/ no problems. It just started yesterday or the day before. Help me!

Where did you get the game from?

Well, for the time being I have it working. Not sure if this is what fixed it but...previously I was using a PS3 controller to play the game, but i didn't like using it b/c i had heard that using it to play PC games can mess it up so I bought a wired 360 controller. I plugged in the 360 controller and updated the driver and I assume thats when the problems started. Apparently I didn't remove "ALL" of the drivers that I was using for the PS3 controller. Well, I removed them and everything is working fine...so far. Hope this helps someone else.

P.S. I thought it was weird that all 4 lights around the XBOX button wouldn't stop blinking...go figure

Well, for the time being I have it working. Not sure if this is what fixed it but...previously I was using a PS3 controller to play the game, but i didn't like using it b/c i had heard that using it to play PC games can mess it up so I bought a wired 360 controller. I plugged in the 360 controller and updated the driver and I assume thats when the problems started. Apparently I didn't remove "ALL" of the drivers that I was using for the PS3 controller. Well, I removed them and everything is working fine...so far. Hope this helps someone else.

P.S. I thought it was weird that all 4 lights around the XBOX button wouldn't stop blinking...go figure

I'm using a wired 360 controller as well. I also have all four lights on the controller flashing. Do you only have one light on the controller now?

Hmm, the plot thickens.

I wasn't using a PS3 controller, but I was previously using a Logitech gamepad for playing San Andreas with.

I'll give purging the controllers a try.

yeah seems like you have the same problem. delete any drivers you have for the logitech controller. hope that helps.

yeah seems like you have the same problem. delete any drivers you have for the logitech controller. hope that helps.

I uninstalled the Logitech drivers and it caused a BSOD. Had to eventually completely reinstall Windows 7.

After that, however, GTAIV now works fine - I only installed the 360 controller.