Seeking advice regarding gta 4 for PC

DreadWizard

DreadWizard

I want to get GTA 4 for the PC, I already have it for the PS3 but I like to play modded games. So here is my list of questions and I would be thankful if people could help me.

1. Can you play GTA 4 "modded" if you get the steam version?

2. Can the game be played with a dual GPU video card or will it throw a fit? I was going to buy a GTX 590 but might get the 580 (single GPU)

3. Does the game run in windows7 or do you need to run it in XP mode?

4. What is the better video card for GTA 4? NVIDIA or ATI? I know some games hate certain brand cards.

Thanks in advance for any advice / answers you can give me.

OverTheBelow

1. Yes, but it is much harder to play on old patches with this version.

2. Dual GPU configurations tend to perform the same or worse than that of a single GPU configuration with GTA 4. Get the 580, it'll be more compatible with not only GTA 4, but all games in general.

3. It'll run fine in both.

4. This game does not "prefer" any brand.

You should probably note that GTA 4 can only use 3 cores effectively, so it might end up as your processor being the bottleneck if it isn't at a fairly high clock speed with your 580/590.

DU8afL0.jpg

DreadWizard

2. Dual GPU configurations tend to perform the same or worse than that of a single GPU configuration with GTA 4. Get the 580, it'll be more compatible with not only GTA 4, but all games in general.

You should probably note that GTA 4 can only use 3 cores effectively, so it might end up as your processor being the bottleneck if it isn't at a fairly high clock speed with your 580/590.

So the only concern seems to be getting the Steam version? I assume steam is patched to a latter version that does not like mods? Hmm.. is it possible to "downgrade" a steam version and use mods with a Steam version? I cannot find the game and addons in local stores anymore.

OverTheBelow

So the only concern seems to be getting the Steam version? I assume steam is patched to a latter version that does not like mods? Hmm.. is it possible to "downgrade" a steam version and use mods with a Steam version? I cannot find the game and addons in local stores anymore.

People have problems with running older patches with the steam version. But it's personal preference really. Some people like 1.0.4.0 for the old shadows, you will probably be happy with the latest patch as it is one of the more mod-friendly patches.

You could also get the game on Amazon I guess.

DU8afL0.jpg