What did RDR get right?

outlaw46

I've been replaying Red Dead Redemption and Bully this summer in anticipation of the next GTA announcement (already played through L.A. Noire) and it got me thinking:

What do you think R* could possibly be adding to the next GTA that it didn't have before, after seeing the huge success that was RDR?

I think they should implement...

1) the weapon wheel selection strategy

2) at least the ability to acknowledge the NPCs (i remember doing this in SA)

3) ability to carry medicine with you and heal yourself in fights without searching for a health kit or body armor

4) (speaking of fighting) i think i now prefer the health recovery like RDR where your screen gets darker until death instead of the set health level in GTA

just a few i wanted to share with the community and i wanted to see what you all thought...

personally i hated the weapon wheel the gta 4 d pad shifting was perfect and a lot quicker. i think they will include npc side mission like kill a theif or stuff and as well as other npc side things. the medicine thing you said sounds pretty good. i would like to see some weapon customization not to the full extent like cod. but stronger bullets faster rate of fire and a silencer. finnaly i would like to say a mod is going to lock this topic because we have a wishlist. that is all

i also like the idea of buying deeds to horses and maybe they might include that idea this next time around but with cars instead. For instance, you could purchase a car at a dealership and always have the "deed" (the rights) to the car so you can choose to drive it whenever you go to a safe house.

i also like the idea of buying deeds to horses and maybe they might include that idea this next time around but with cars instead. For instance, you could purchase a car at a dealership and always have the "deed" (the rights) to the car so you can choose to drive it whenever you go to a safe house.

I can buy the "right's" to a car when I steal it off the f*cking street.

Anyway's, Yes, I would love to see pretty much every improvement that was in Red Dead Redemption, but even better.

Meh, I don't know. I prefer the classic weapon switching with the d-pad. And I'd hate health generation, I'd much rather have a health bar. I do like the interaction with the NPCs.

One thing I really hope GTA V has that RDR didn't though? A lobby system.

the nameless

Good sugestions so far, but they wont appeal to the darn realistic brigade. I would like the weapon wheel, it is a good feature, I liked it in RDR and the Assassins Creed series. However, I like the original GTA health system, it limits the ammount of bullets you can take. The auto regen system works well in games like Uncharted with multiple difficulty settings, but not for GTA for me.

Regarding the medicine, I think to fit in with the current system of eating to replenish health, you could buy snacks to carry around with you, rather than eating them there and then, and just select them when your health runs low.

the hadoken nigga

No one can deny RDR did awesome on multiplayer the free roam automatically waiting lobbies are the shiznit and I think for GTA V the first person in free roam lobby should have rights to change setting like pedestrian levels weather etc....

The idea of Safes was just suggested in the thread about payments in game. I can see the idea from RDR, where safe cracking is more the plot line. For those who don't like that Niko or your character would pull a gun out of their ass in essence, the weapon selection wheel, mentioned, does feel comfortable and really did not detract as it might sound

I'd think horses and cars in the same game would provide a very interesting concept! It didn't really happen in RDR, though I hoped it would

Edited by Slamman

the hadoken nigga
The idea of Safes was just suggested in the thread about payments in game. I can see the idea from RDR, where safe cracking is more the plot line. For those who don't like that Niko or your character would pull a gun out of their ass in essence, the weapon selection wheel, mentioned, does feel comfortable and really did not detract as it might sound

I'd think horses and cars in the same game would provide a very interesting concept! It didn't really happen in RDR, though I hoped it would

the missions for the government you get to drive in a car maybe they were hinting at something

I seriously doubt any hint, but it's odd that the cars and horses in terms of what you could do, were really segregated within the game. There was certainly plenty of discussion once the date was known. There was a car, RIGHT at the beginning of the game, yet none in Blackwater one could actually grab a hold of.

AndrefromEstonia

I must say, some of you are suggesting that you should have the ability to buy cars or something and take them home...

WELL, that just isn't grand theft auto anymore then! Grand theft auto means stealing cars...you would take the point away from the series. Altough it would be kind of challenging...collect the money to buy the car and then bring it to your home/safehouse.

I do like the idea of healthpacks also...and since we are talking about bringing stuff from RDR, why not horses then biggrin.gif

user posted image

Could you not buy cars in SA once you had done imports or bought car dealerships? As I recall, you could sell or buy, and store in San Fierro as well

Your read my mind, sir.

As for the first post ideas, I'm not fond of the last one, GTA is fine with a health bar. It would be too easy in an open-world game to just flee out of ennemies range. Plus who doesn't like these moments when your health is very low and you have to be extra careful?

AndrefromEstonia
Could you not buy cars in SA once you had done imports or bought car dealerships? As I recall, you could sell or buy, and store in San Fierro as well

Indeed... But basically, i could only buy cars that werent very rare from there. Just normal cars, so thats why i never used that option. If you can buy cars, then they should be rarer then other cars on the road.

user posted image

What RDR got right was a structured Free Roam MP with stuff to do, GTA V should expand on this. I would suggest adding similar modes to Turf War, Cops and Crooks, Car Jack City and Mafia Work to the list of things to do in Free Roam. Also the ambient challenges were cool - GTA should have a ton of them too.

The weapon wheel was crap.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't see the weapon wheel being a negative, I didn't like the idea until I got into it, it's no problem at all now. It's like making the switch from PS to XB controllers, if you think about it

darrellmonks

Alot of people who will buy gta are just CoD fanboy retards who are better off playing saints row 2. GTA is taking a more realistic approach based mainly on the story and I prefer it much that way. But a few things the non-hardcore gta players complained about was the following.

I found Niko Bellic a much better character and more badass than John Marston but the magority didnt see it that way. The next GTA needs a stereotypical "badass" like John Marston. He needs general badass look like John Marston or a Tommy Vercetti. He need to be physically strong. I remember in GTA IV if you were having a bad day a woman could cause Niko trouble hand to hand. In the next GTA the protag needs to be like 6 foot 2 atleast and body equal to an american footballer and peds are easily dealt with like in San Andreas except ofcourse for certain characters and peds who are more challenging to knock out.

The main character needs to be as good with guns as John Marston. Yeah Niko was in a war but only in his teens and for 2 or 3 years. John Marston was a "gunslinger" all his life and was clearly better with a gun than Niko. The next character needs a more OTT backstory. Maybe an ex soldier who fought in Iraq for over 5 years and he was renowned in his unit for being good with a gun. And during the main story he has something simular to dead-eye.

One thing the fools I know complained about how slow the game was and they had only played for 1 day. The game needs to get to the stage where you are in gun fights sooner like in RDR.

GTA V shuld copy RDR multiplayer and expand on it.

And lastly but mostly the game needs vary. There needs to be tonnes of cloths, atleast 3 times more then San andreas. It needs planes, maybe the character flew a plane in the war. In needs car customization. Hair stlyes, Gang wars, drug wars, stamina and muscle upgrade via a gym, It needs a huge city like LA Noire but have a little less detail than LA noire and make the city bigger. It needs good characters (GTA IV had the best characters in any video game/game ever). It needs hilarious guys like Brucie and Roman, badass guys like Jacob and packie, sexy women something GTA IV lacked. Its needs some OTT but not silly ones like saints row.

And lastly its needs a badass soundtrack as good as Vice City or San Andreas, one of the main thing my friends complained over was gta 4s bad soundtrack, i thought it was good but it didnt match VC or SA.

Sorry for off topic. I didnt read the topic correct until i had half this wrote. Doubt much read it anyway biggrin.gif

Cool story Bro'

Original Light

In RDR if you run out of ammo in a gun you keep it, but in GTA 4 Niko takes the gun and throws in on the ground and you have to buy a new one which I hate. sad.gif

ViceCityFTW

Shooting was excellent in RDR IMO.Also,euphoria animations were tuned up,it was more responsive and faster while looking even better.Weapon wheel I didn't like,but I definitely liked shooting.

In RDR if you run out of ammo in a gun you keep it, but in GTA 4 Niko takes the gun and throws in on the ground and you have to buy a new one which I hate. sad.gif

definitely this needs to be in GTAV! I hated in GTA4 running out of ammo in an awesome gun early on in the game and then not getting the chance to use it anymore.

speaking of buying ammo, I liked the gunshops in RDR and I think Ammu-nation could make a comeback where you can buy guns and/or ammo only. I also liked the idea of selling items at stores to make money instead of just having to rely on missions for your income. Maybe the next GTA could have something similar to this although I'm not sure what exactly you'd sell to a store (definitely not going to be skinning animals!)

Regarding health regeneration:

Hand-to-hand combat = health regeneration (unless severe and you don't get a chance to recover so you'd die)

Guns, explosions etc = standard health bar decrease like it is currently

^I agree, RPGs were so damn expensive! tounge.gif

And health regeneration is a big no no, makes games way too easy and takes the originality away from GTA, heck health bars have been there since GTA 1!

I wouldn't mind having an ammo chest like RDR had, saves you having to go to the gun store/ring up Little Jacob.

Original Light

definitely this needs to be in GTAV! I hated in GTA4 running out of ammo in an awesome gun early on in the game and then not getting the chance to use it anymore.

speaking of buying ammo, I liked the gunshops in RDR and I think Ammu-nation could make a comeback where you can buy guns and/or ammo only. I also liked the idea of selling items at stores to make money instead of just having to rely on missions for your income. Maybe the next GTA could have something similar to this although I'm not sure what exactly you'd sell to a store (definitely not going to be skinning animals!)

Drugs? If it's a secret store...

But who would we sell to? We just can't go the 7-11 with organs from a dog we just skinned in the park. And if we have to collect flowers in GTA V I'll just kill myself. Apart from animal skins and flowers, there weren't many things we could sell in RDR. Treasure hunting would be inappropriate in a modern city.

As for gunfights, I enjoyed them more in GTA than in RDR. Can't explain why though, I'm just more confortable with GTA IV firefights. Maybe because of the automatic guns, but I'm not sure, I loved the Desert Eagle in IV more than any pistol or revolver in RDR.

We could pawn all the TVs and HIFIs we steal in home invasions, plus rings, watches, necklaces etc which we mug from NPCs. We could also sneak into a zoo and steal a rare beast for a discerning collecter, a museum to pinch works of art, aswell as of course, vehicles for people. GTA in a GTA?! Crazy Sh*t.

Deliver stray dogs to a Korean restaurant.

Robbing Home Invasions in San Andreas? I don't see that relating to Red Dead Red. (joke) What they got right is animals in the game, it really added to a rich Open World style game, which is where Rockstar excels currently.

I laugh at how seagulls and flower picking drove some of you nuts, you want wall to wall action, non stop, whereas Rockstar offers a varied paced game, on both fronts. I'm sure most took to some form of cheating, or gave up on those longer endeavors

Edited by Slamman

IMO:

- Weapon Wheel: Yes it's from Assassin's Creed, but it really does work fast when you get used to it, playing both games near enough at the same time I was able to flick the Wheel open and choose a gun in barely a second. The old method in GTA IV just feels outdated and slow.

- Inventory: Only a small thing in RDR, but being able to carry items such as medicine (Painkillers could be used for Modern Day), along with small clothing items such as the bandanna,or Item Maps and Ownership Deeds (which could be used for Apartments like they are in Chinatown Wars), it just added a small variety to what your character could take with them depending on the situation.

- Searching Bodies: It's realistic and it isn't a chore, much better to have the main character search the body of a goon they've just gunned down to get their ammo and items compared to the GTA IV method of the Ammo and Items just appearing on the floor glowing.

- Detailed Menu + Social Club: I think this one is a cert as it was in L.A.Noire to, but being able to go into the Pause Menu and check weapon stats, linking Social Club IN the game instead, etc, just solved a load of issues in regards to tracking.

- OPEN MISSIONS: Holy hell, this one needs to be in the next GTA, the Stranger Missions of RDR are brilliant, Open ended and feel different from the regular structured missions, complete opposite of GTA IV's where Stranger Missions were just normal Missions.

- Unique Interiors: Ok, this one is down to more Space issues, but with the smaller amount of buildings in RDR, it allowed Interiors to be unique and have their own style, you'd be hard pushed to find two places in the game that were the same, unlike GTA IV, where every Cluckin' Bell, Burger Shot, Interior Hallway, etc, were all the same repeated over.

- Multiplayer: Ditch the sh*tty one from GTA IV and bring in the awesome one from RDR, that's all.

- Set Costumes: A lot will disagree with this, but I find set costumes for the characters to be better compared to the "throw your own together" method, and RDR certainly had a lot of choice, a lot of them even being unlocked by doing challenges, it made it feel more rewarding to unlock costumes and outfits.

Anyway, yeah, overall, gameplay wise, RDR was brilliant and really does feel like the natural step up for GTA, GTA IV feels more like a game that's stuck between era's where as RDR felt like the first true Next Gen style GTA, which is Ironic, I would like to see a lot of gameplay elements from RDR appear on the next GTA, if they don't, then it really will be a let down.

I've been replaying Red Dead Redemption and Bully this summer in anticipation of the next GTA announcement (already played through L.A. Noire) and it got me thinking:

What do you think R* could possibly be adding to the next GTA that it didn't have before, after seeing the huge success that was RDR?

I think they should implement...

1) the weapon wheel selection strategy

2) at least the ability to acknowledge the NPCs (i remember doing this in SA)

3) ability to carry medicine with you and heal yourself in fights without searching for a health kit or body armor

4) (speaking of fighting) i think i now prefer the health recovery like RDR where your screen gets darker until death instead of the set health level in GTA

just a few i wanted to share with the community and i wanted to see what you all thought...

yeah, I like these ideas BUT I think for the weapon wheel, the game should freeze in the background while you're selecting your weapon. I can't tell you how many times I've died because I was at low health and I was deciding on weapon whilst having an army of NPCs shooting at me. Although, I really don't mind the weapon scrolling in GTA 4, if the wheel is implemented into GTA 5, I think the freeze feature could be useful. Also, as per your concern with GTA 4's health meter. Also, maybe we could just have slowly regenerating health, like in RDR, but WITH a visible health meter to see how close we actually are to dying. It was kinda hard to figure that out in RDR. Acknowledging NPCs: I don't really care, but why not. I like the medicine idea.

One thing I think RDR also had that should return in some form were horse deeds. These allowed permanent ownership of the horses you captured no matter what happened in the game. A few days ago, I suggested either implementing a car dealership that would allow you to keep the cars that your purchased FOREVER or somehow have the ability to acquire car registrations to spawn cars without cheating, kinda like RDR did with horses. For more info on this idea, feel free to view my thread at the link below:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=482709

CryptReaperDorian

Most people didn't know, but you could cycle through weapon categories in GTA IV. If you held L1/LB, then pressing any direction button (up, down, left, right). I really didn't like the weapon wheel in Red Dead Redemption since it would tend to select a weapon that I didn't want to equip.

About the inventory, I'm unsure about that. I think the game will be too easy if you could carry items to replenish your health. If you could carry this stuff, then it should be very limited.

Health regeneration is definitely a no. The same health system was used in every GTA, and it should stay that way. Besides, it's one of the few things from previous games that is still present today.

Now I will talk about the multiplayer. I know many people liked the multiplayer in Red Dead Redemption, but I prefer to access game modes with the phone (like in GTA IV). Why should I go through through long loading screens for a Free Mode, and then I would be able to go into a Team Deathmatch? Not only that, but just about every Free Mode I joined in Red Dead Redemption kicked me out.

I know many people liked the multiplayer in Red Dead Redemption, but I prefer to access game modes with the phone (like in GTA IV). Why should I go through through long loading screens for a Free Mode, and then I would be able to go into a Team Deathmatch? Not only that, but just about every Free Mode I joined in Red Dead Redemption kicked me out.

Then you have problems with your Routrer, seriously, the GTA IV method sucked, you say why should wait for Free Roam to Load? Compared to GTA IV which kicked you back to Single Player anytime a GLITCH, CONNECTION LOSS or ERROR happened? That was terrible and made Multiplayer worthless. A match ends, no one continues, OH BACK TO SINGLE PLAYER FOR YOU!

I have to say, being honest, if anyone here says they prefer Multiplayer on GTA IV over RDR, then I have to say, you don't like Multiplayer do you? Either that or just blinded by GTA fanboy fever.

Really, what you pointed out, Here's what GTA IV would do:

Boot > Load Single Player > Get access to Mobile Phone > Select match > Load up Multiplayer

Where as RDR:

Boot > Choice of Multi or Single > Free Roam > Option Menu displaying ALL playing Modes and Quick Access.