The Movement to Ban Children in Select Places

Pagelzilla

Recently I've seen articles popping up regarding new "child-free" conveniences. This means that businesses are banning children from their property either altogether or restricting children to certain areas.

Article

I think this is a fantastic idea. I would pay an additional fee if it meant that my flight wouldn't have children. However I can see tons of parents being completely shocked and appalled by this trend too. As the author of the article above points out, "When did children become the new second-hand smoke?" To which I would reply: when parents stopped disciplining their children and letting them act like spoiled sh*ts wherever they go.

What do you think about this new trend?

Chinatown Wars

Oh man how I would love this. No more screaming or complaining little kids running around. I think that they should apply this to Gtaforum also.

I can't see it working. As you said, many parents that see their children as squeaky-clean angels will cause an uproar and that will in turn generate stigma. Soon after, you'll be "that arsehole who pays extra to remove kids from conveniences". I too have been victim of horrid little sh*ts ruining plane journeys.

That said, there are exceptions that prove the rule. With every brat who can do no wrong in his dumb parents' eyes, you're going to get the kids that are genuinely good company and are generally quite polite.

I think the sad thing is, those with great kids will be more understanding of this than the parents who have the sprogs of Satan as children. It sounds like a good idea on paper and suggested properly, but I just can't see it working.

@Chinatown Wars: Bye then.

I think that they should apply this to Gtaforum also.

They used to. There were times you could get banned for letting it be known that you're underage. I miss these days.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Don't you remember when you were kids

Yep. I was a great kid. Stick me in a bouncy chair in front of the TV and I'd be quiet for hours. That argument is going to come up a lot with this, but it just doesn't apply.

I don't understand why people get so mad at a baby screaming on a flight, it's nothing to do with the parents, that's just what happens when you put a small child on something that goes over 200mph at +30,000ft lol. You all did it as well.

As for businesses restricting their property I don't see it working either, took long enough for the smoking ban to take proper effect. And really it's unfair how children are just put into one category and it's assumed that if you go to a restaraunt where there are children, or anywhere else, then they will be an annoyance. But really 6/10 times they do absolutely nothing wrong, at least in my experience. Plus you can't exactly kick all kids out of a public place without a proper reason e.g. alcohol.

This forum isn't so bad either, the maturity of most of the younger members is actually alot better than the older member from what I've seen in alot of cases, I've been suprised numerous times by finding out how young some people are when I though they were like 20 due to their posts. There are just as many idiotic adults here - that goes for any forum. People like Sam998 making loads of accounts and spamming cause he got banned from a forum? Really pathetic. Most trolls you'll find aren't actually even kids.

Really don't see this working.

I grew up in Soviet Union. We were expected to walk in columns and stay quiet. Unless on a playground, of course. On playgrounds we could behave like children. It strikes a nice balance. Children are disciplined, the public places stay nice and quiet, and children can still let off their steam.

You can say all you like about the Soviets, but the education system was fantastic from earliest of ages.

I don't understand why people get so mad at a baby screaming on a flight, it's nothing to do with the parents, that's just what happens when you put a small child on something that goes over 200mph at +30,000ft lol. You all did it as well.

Babies, sure. Kids 3+ aren't babies.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Yep. I was a great kid. Stick me in a bouncy chair in front of the TV and I'd be quiet for hours. That argument is going to come up a lot with this, but it just doesn't apply.

Haha same but I still wish I was a little kid again, thats why I piss about constantly

Haha same but I still wish I was a little kid again, thats why I piss about constantly

Yeah, what's all this about growing up! You only live once, your supposed to enjoy being young.

I got another angle, but not going to explore it too far... You've seen public XX online, How in the heck they do that with the threat of kids outside?? Strange stuff

Yet another case of "small minority ruins it for the majority"

If we are all about freedom, why are we banning kids from select places? Not even fascist dictators would do this. Too many stupid laws are trying to be passed nowadays

user posted image

Babies, sure. Kids 3+ aren't babies.

Yeah okay, fair point. But any flight I've been on (and that's alot) it's usually only infants that cause the most disturbance. If there's some 5 year old screaming then you could put the blame on the parents (who are probably only like 19 knowing today's standards) - but in most cases, normal family assumed here, it is no problem. And that goes for any public environment.

Doing something like this and restricting access just because a small minority of children aren't diciplined enough to not cause trouble doesn't seem a very good idea to me.

Yet another case of "small minority ruins it for the majority"

This is really what I'm trying to say. Thank you Mr.Mister.

I would really love to see a kid free zone in restaurants.

You know, so I can eat without some kid running around screaming and complaining, or what really gets under my skin, the ones that like to stare at people.

Edited by Runey.
user posted image

I'm rather indecisive about passing a law like this. I think in some circumstances, children should not be allowed. Then again, not all parents let their children run loose and wreak havoc. It's not to say businesses or corporations wouldn't abuse a law like this, but using it lightly doesn't sound like a bad idea.

7FTgFLB.png

Of course, more shops could just be open 24 hours, and while at the police station I DID notice a curfew sign on their wall, You can't have kids up at all hours of the day, and I'm a NIGHT SHIFT worker and I never got out of the staying up all night routine, it's very hard to do that!! I go to the Goodwill thrift shops close by and the other day another screaming child, just thinking about it makes me a bit hostile. It really does get to you. Then again, I was told I cried a lot as an infant as well, then you go and feel the opposite later in life. That's an oddity too

As a person with a autistic brother, he is 21 and is very noisey at times. He will make inane grunting sounds and the like which is very annoying. I understand that kids who are doing it on purpose should be asked to leave, but this would also affect people who simply can't control themselves. Totally not fair

Dumbass lawmakers. You guys really need to start focusing on real problems

user posted image

AlexGTAGamer

When you lot say "kids" what age range are you talking about? 0 - 18? 3 - 16?

As a person with a autistic brother, he is 21 and is very noisey at times. He will make inane grunting sounds and the like which is very annoying. I understand that kids who are doing it on purpose should be asked to leave, but this would also affect people who simply can't control themselves. Totally not fair

You can usually tell the difference in an autistic person who can't control it and a spoiled little sh*t that has parents that think their kid can't possibly be annoying.

user posted image

I don't understand why people get so mad at a baby screaming on a flight, it's nothing to do with the parents, that's just what happens when you put a small child on something that goes over 200mph at +30,000ft lol.

A few weeks ago I was going away for a holiday with some mates. We were flying at 6am, so obviously the sensible thing to do was to go round one lad's house and pull an all nighter to get our taxi at 3, hang around the airport for a few hours and then sleep once we were in the air. It was all going to plan, until we actually got on the plane. Now, I can't really sleep well in moving vehicles, but I'd have easily got to sleep in my state if only there wasn't two kids crying and shouting all the damn way. I'd have given any of the staff an extra £30 there and the if it meant I could move to a part of the plane without children (but we were flying on a budget 'cos that means more booze money, so the plane was pretty much the size of a large bus in the cabin).

I know that's just how kids behave when they're bored, I'm sure I wasn't quite the little angel I remember being. But they can be kids over there, away from me when I'm trying to sleep on a plane.

Edited by Robinski
user posted image

Since when did it become a right to be seated somewhere where there is no annoying noise? I think it's up to us civilians on how we handle annoying kids in public places. Theres no need for government intervention.

First world problems... gotta love em

user posted image

AlexGTAGamer

Oh yeah worrying about noise is much more important than other problems in the world, like disasters, disease, death, wars or crime. sarcasm.gif

Noise is bad, except in designated areas, such as Rock Concert venues! YEAH!

My personal favorite, At times I get loud at home, but the neighbors will complain if they get fed up. Suffice to say though, 24 hour businesses could make more money, I always wonder if it does in fact, cost them more to remain open for business?

God damn right. take your snotty, loud and ugly children to Chuck-E-Cheeses or McDonalds.

fV9tG4b.gif

Theres no need for government intervention.

There is no government intervention. Right now it's completely up to the business in question, and if they want to ban children, who are you to deny them? If you don't approve, don't use their services. I'm sure their competitors would be just as happy to take your money.

Slosten.gif

This isn't about law, this is about businesses enacting rules.

It's purely market-driven, and the market will decide if this is a profitable idea

I don't understand why people get so mad at a baby screaming on a flight, it's nothing to do with the parents, that's just what happens when you put a small child on something that goes over 200mph at +30,000ft lol.

A few weeks ago I was going away for a holiday with some mates. We were flying at 6am, so obviously the sensible thing to do was to go round one lad's house and pull an all nighter to get our taxi at 3, hang around the airport for a few hours and then sleep once we were in the air. It was all going to plan, until we actually got on the plane. Now, I can't really sleep well in moving vehicles, but I'd have easily got to sleep in my state if only there wasn't two kids crying and shouting all the damn way. I'd have given any of the staff an extra £30 there and the if it meant I could move to a part of the plane without children (but we were flying on a budget 'cos that means more booze money, so the plane was pretty much the size of a large bus in the cabin).

I know that's just how kids behave when they're bored, I'm sure I wasn't quite the little angel I remember being. But they can be kids over there, away from me when I'm trying to sleep on a plane.

Well that's just a consequence of flying on a budget airline where they don't care how uncomfortable or annoyed you are, and seat you wherever there is space, that is a different problem altogether.

And yeah I can't believe this is what some people choose to focus on when there are much more important problems going on in the world. They're just children, and at one point in your childhood I bet you were screaming like mad and pissing off a number of people - but of course you didn't give a sh*t at the time.

Most times when children are actually a real problem it's down to the parents who don't even have knowledge on raising a child in the first place, and are too busy at the bar while their kids run around causing a disturbance. Why should the child be banned from somewhere when they don't know any other way to behave due to their parents?

Plus its already being debated that children are forced to grow up too quickly so you have to find the line between undisciplined and just having fun.

Edited by SmC12

Well, there ya go, keep them all together.

One thing that really irks me is people taking their kids to the movie theatre. You know, the loudmouth, kick the back of the seat in front of them brats. I don't mean to watch Toy Story or Cars or whatever. I mean these idiots that take their 5 year old to watch A Nightmare on Elm Street or something like that.

Edited by Runey.
user posted image

Since when did it become a right to be seated somewhere where there is no annoying noise? I think it's up to us civilians on how we handle annoying kids in public places. Theres no need for government intervention.

When you are paying for the services of a nice night out at a restaurant - you should totally expect to be seated somewhere where there are no annoying noises.

It isn't government intervention, it is proprietors exercising their right to refuse service. And since the shrill of a screaming kid cuts through me like a rusty knife - I'm all for it.