Living on campus vs living off

E.A.B.

Most people around here are college types (or at least of that age).

Well, maybe in forums other than the GTA specific ones.

Anyway, simple question: Should I live on campus or off? Pros and cons?

If I lived off campus, apparently, I'd get 5000 dollars since I signed up for Tuition grants but other grants already pay the full cost of the college (which I find wasteful, but if I can get a new PC out of it, well, fine). Thing is, I've been thinking...

...I can't cook (that many things)

...or wash my own clothes.

...or be responsible...

Am I getting in way over my head here? Plus, I don't want to be in debt. Is going into >6000 dollars for a full year bad? I know interest can f*ck you in the ass real nice and good.

On Campus Pro's

- Away from family

- Independent

- Mix with students

- Live like in the movies

Cons

- Expensive

- You miss family

- You could be stuck with a retarded roommate

Off Campus Pro's

- You get $5000... nuff said

Con's

- You have to transport there everytime

It really depends how far you are from the campus and if you can afford it.

If it's your first year of uni, I'd suggest living on campus to get the feel for uni life and everything. If you're just looking at living off campus now, it might be a bit late in the game to find a place as well.

Hell, cooking and washing your clothes is easy. I would suggest getting a place off campus because I hate living in the same room with someone else. It's different though because I'm not in college, I live in barracks. Same kind of idea though.

For what it's worth, I lived on campus for my freshman and sophomore year of college and I absolutely loved it. Sure living in a dorm isn't the most glamorous or enjoyable way of living, but it's the social aspect that comes with it. There's always something going on on campus; always running into people, seeing girls from class, etc.

Moving off campus for the final two years was beneficial because I had to concentrate more on my studies and get away from the mischievous, often hectic, campus life. But there's nothing I'd trade for those first two years on campus. Man that sh*t was fun.

For the record: I have a dorm reserved and just need to sign off on some ish. So it isn't too late for me at all.

Live like in the movies

LIVIN THE DREAM

I would suggest getting a place off campus because I hate living in the same room with someone else.

It's NYC. I'm not gonna bother looking elsewhere since ~6000 for a year is f*cking golden. ALL UTILITIES PAID + GYM AND WIFI.

Just hope the wifi is good enough for TF2.

drive

Don't have a car. Don't have a license.

It's an hour commute (give or take a few minutes). But I also have, like, two dead hours between one of my classes. I'm mostly doing it for the growing aspect.

That, and anything longer than 15 minutes of commuting puts me in a down-ish mood.

Edited by E.A.B.

kmlwin.1996

Living at campus is a s*it in our country. Most of campus livers are bad guys.

Please do yourself a favor, OP. Live on-campus for at least one year. Getting that "college experience" as well as being so close to the full resources your university offers is an invaluable experience. If you live on-campus you'll be more likely to become involved in student life, you're less likely to skip classes, and you're forced to make connections and interact with your fellow students.

and interact with your fellow students.

Aka, you'll be drunk at least 3 nights out of the week.

user posted image

Out of curiosity, how old are you? No offense but You seem like a very irresponsible, spoiled kid. Can't cook, wash, drive...

If you can't do those things then just live on-campus and things should go better off for you, the only problem is the getting a retarded roommate but you can change most of the time.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Live on campus and you'll learn to take care of yourself fast.

University and college is as much about the social side of the experience as the academic, if you want to make the most of your time there liveon campus, get in the mix and make new friends. You'll love it.

mIHXV.jpg

The only way to get a real college experience is to live on campus. Everyone I know who commuted the first year completely regretted it, as would I. Plus, most schools offer a meal plan, which is what I'm doing, where you just pay for the whole year to buy food from whatever food places you have on campus, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about cooking unless your school doesn't provide a service like that.

As for laundry?

1. Take a good armful of clothes or what would typically fit in the washer at your school.

2. Read label on detergent bottle as to how much detergent to add to your load of laundry (most have lines in the caps).

3. Start the washer so that it fills with water and add your cap of detergent.

4. Close washer.

5. Return sometime later to retrieve clothes.

6. Throw in dryer, or if that's too complicated, just hang them so they air-dry.

Laundry is the simplest thing in the world. The only way you can f*ck it up is by throwing a ton of bleach in there or something.

Anyways, you'll meet your life-long friends in your dorm if you live on-campus. Commuting sucks no matter what position you're in. Gas is expensive as hell, and it's only gonna get more expensive (and you're talking an hour commute? That's a lot of money spent on gas. There goes a good chunk of your $5000). Since you don't seem to know how to drive, how are you gonna get there? A cab? They're expensive as well. Just live on campus. It teaches you to be independent and live on your own. You won't regret it.

I'd recommend living in halls/dorms to anyone, for a year at least. I've just finished my first year and I lived in halls and it was a blast. I don't think it'd be a great thing for me to go back there again this year though (hence why I'm not), because I don't think I could function properly in second year, where grades on assignments actually matter. Living in halls means you're socially active pretty much 24/7 and it leads to some pretty fun times and a lot of drinking.

It's also great if you're not that independent to begin with, providing you've got shared facilities that are shared with quite a number of people. Max said above you'll learn to take care of yourself a lot, which is true if you're with a bunch of people like yourself. If you get lucky you'll have someone (or even better some people) who enjoys cooking, and if you're really lucky a neat freak who'll compulsively clean said shared facilities. I lucked out and got someone who loved cooking and pretty much fed 6 of us religiously, provided we put in the money.

user posted image

I would say live on Campus one year. I'm a Senior in High School so I have no college experience really but I have the same doubts with living on campus since my parents just bought an apartment beside the university I'm probably going to (I'll most likely get in). It was for investment purposes really but if I decide to go to this university I'll just move in to the apartment. I'm actually looking to live a semester in the Campus to get the feel for it. I'm actually really interested in people's replies. tounge.gif

WF the Hobgoblin

Travelling can be a real b*tch. I'd say campus for that reason alone.

My college is just a hour by transit, so I travel to and from home and it isn't that bad. but living off

campus will be fun since you get to be independent!

Cooking can be challenging, but it's a life long essential experience. Just buy a cookbook or you guys can learn a thing or two by

making some dishes you guys would like to try from the internet. This helps you save money to use on more important stuffs.

And for a day out, you guys can try out some Shabu-Shabuclick here too

I personally prefer shabu-shabu restaurants with individual small hot pots so you get to add your own seasoning and put

in foods that you like to try out.

Edited by Stinky12

...or be responsible...

You have to do those things no matter where you live. Well, except maybe cook....although, I've never really heard good things about campus supplied meals.

I say off campus is the way to go. I did my time off campus, but then again I didn't go to university straight out of high school and already had my apartment.

My wife lived on campus(different school) and it seemed way more social, but it felt more like camp then actually living independently. She eventually changed schools and just moved into the apartment.

Live on campus and you'll learn to take care of yourself fast.

University and college is as much about the social side of the experience as the academic, if you want to make the most of your time there liveon campus, get in the mix and make new friends. You'll love it.

Max missed out the part where you bone a load of chicks in your block/ hall.

At least live on Campus for your first year; get to know people, take care of yourself within a safe environment (as it'll be covered by the education body, sorta). Then, when you get too annoyed at others not washing up, stealing your forks and 3AM fire-drills, move off.

Plus, I moved out as I was on my 2nd Strike for Illegally Downloading on the University's Network. moto_whistle.gif

oldschoolsigs14.png

Here in the UK I commuted to & fro every day.

It sucked. Live in! It's better.

...or be responsible...

You have to do those things no matter where you live. Well, except maybe cook....although, I've never really heard good things about campus supplied meals.

Really? Half of my college dorms don't even have kitchens. We're basically required to do a meal plan and eat the school's food. I hope I get a dorm with a kitchen, cuz I'd really like to cook or at least learn. I thought all colleges worked this way, but I guess I'm wrong.

...or be responsible...

Really? Half of my college dorms don't even have kitchens. We're basically required to do a meal plan and eat the school's food. I hope I get a dorm with a kitchen, cuz I'd really like to cook or at least learn. I thought all colleges worked this way, but I guess I'm wrong.

It's the same around here too Panz (with the meal plans I mean). They probably figure the drunken students will come home after the bars and try to cook food.

user posted image

I prefer to live near but not on campus. I can't really cook either, and my girlfriend feeds me only when she's in the mood. (She eats salads and other rabbit food, so she would cook for me separately.) But there are plenty of microwaveable foods in the supermarket. Some of them are quite edible and it costs about the same as cooking yourself. So it's not really a problem.

The only thing that would be a problem is if I didn't have a car. While I enjoy walking to my department when the weather is good, when it's not, being able to drive there instead is a big plus.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I've been thinking of this and living off campus is much better. Not only will you save cash, you are also free from campus police and you can pick your own roommate (if you even want one).

You can also stay with relatives for a little bit which allows you to save even more

If your a terrible cook, just buy some containers of fruit and a already cooked chicken

Edit: After reading every post, is living on campus better? I've found bachelor apartments within a 10 minute walk range from college for only 570 a month with utlities included (minus electricity/cable/Internet)

Edited by Mr.Mister
user posted image

It's the same around here too Panz (with the meal plans I mean). They probably figure the drunken students will come home after the bars and try to cook food.

My halls were self catering last year, with a big old kitchen for 8 of us to share. There are about 7 or 8 different halls though, and only 2 or 3 were catered for.

The drunken cooking happened a lot, and surprisingly only set off the fire alarm 3 or 4 times in the early morning. Good thing was most of us never eat anything near the amount we drunkenly cooked, so breakfast was regularly ready when you woke up as long as you're prepared to eat it cold.

user posted image

Plus, I moved out as I was on my 2nd Strike for Illegally Downloading on the University's Network. moto_whistle.gif

pfft; torrenting? That's bull.

Bullsh*t that they wouldn't allow it, I mean.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? No offense but You seem like a very irresponsible, spoiled kid. Can't cook, wash, drive...

Well, for the driving part; it's really not that big of a deal since this is NYC. Parking and traffic can be hell in Manhattan, which is why the subways are so packed. Long Island, on the other hand...well, you can't really walk anywhere...except to 7-11's, maybe.

I'll refute it a bit though (not that I'm offended, since I see your point and kinda agree); wouldn't having a car make me spoiled as opposed to not having one? monocle.gif Afterall, cars cost money, which poor people don't have.

Oh, and I'm 19.

Don't worry about cooking or doing laundry, household type sh*t. Google knows all. Seriously, you'd be surprised how many Yahoo Answers there are about how to bleach your clothes.

Anyway, here are some pros and cons...

Pro

-A dorm room makes a good bachelor pad for scoring

-You can find single units with no room-mates at some places

-There's usually people around in the recreation room or commons area of your dorm to hang around with

-If you're at a party school, great parties

-You don't have to worry about finding parking

-You can wait 'til the last minute to go to class since you're so close

Cons

-The bathrooms are f*cking disgusting. Be prepared to flush for other people and wipe their whiskers out of the sinks. OH, DON"T SHOWER WITHOUT FLIP FLOPS, fast track to a staph infection

-It's hard to get a decent internet connection in some places

-People steal your food out of the community fridge

-There's always someone cooking/doing-laundry/showering when you want to

-Getting books or packages delivered is really lame, especially if the UPS/FedEx guys don't care that no one is there to take them on the weekend

-People knock the power out with over-powered microwaves or hot plates frequently

-Early morning fire drills really suck ass when you're trying to sleep in

I'll second living off campus at first. If things don't work out and you don't want to keep going or want to change majors next semester or something, it really sucks to have to move all your stuff out.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

My first year I lived on campus in the dorms, for the rest of my college life I'll be living in my fraternity house which is 2-3 blocks off campus, so it's not really like commuting at all but I'd definitely recommend living on campus your first year. Good times were had.

I imagine my response will just echo what has already been said.

I commuted for the whole 3 years at Uni, nearly 50 miles every day, although I didn't have any choice, I do wish I had stayed in halls or other studen accomendation in the first years, simply for the social stuff and the girls inlove.gif but never mind, I saved a lot of money I guess.

Definitely go for living on campus for first year, its the least important, then for the second and particularly third, focus on your education, and whereever you feel that you will get most work done, live there.

Good luck . icon14.gif

7cg1vNw.png

Long_Haired_Boy

Campus life is only fun the freshman year. Lol