Great Comic Minds

Slamman

I know comedy gets on here from time to time, but I'd like to revive something current. Each person pick a favorite of theirs to highlight... A few at max, per posting,

Just pick a person you think the World is a better place because they make you laugh, year after year, after year....

I was thinking, no one can take this guys' place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Martin

Edited by Slamman

Brown Sugar

Will Ferrell has to be one of the most consistently funny guys out there at the moment, he has made a few disappointing films in the past but apart from that his writing and acting in films, tv and even standup has been second to none.

Steve Martin's always been a great personality for film, but I've never found his stand-up routines to be very good, and I've heard quite a bit of them.

Will Ferrell, another hilarious guy constructed for the camera, but I can't imagine he'd be too funny just telling jokes. It's his goofy persona that makes him so funny to play almost any character. I've always enjoyed him.

David Cross on the other hand, fantastic stand-up routine. Among my favorites. There are few comedians I can listen to and afterwards feel more informed and enlightened. Plus, he's just full of funny.

Edited by TheCacti

This is going to be a British post.

I'm assuming we're talking about comedic actors or is this just about comedians in general?

Either way, I'm picking Bill Bailey as one of my firm favourites. I suppose you could class him as an all-round entertainer; as well as doing stand-up shows, he's been in a fair few TV shows, a couple of so-so movies and also plays a variety of instruments, which are always staples of his act. I'm fairly sure at least one of his DVDs is a show that revolves around music. It might not sound great, but I genuinely loved his style. He seems peppered with that traditional British awkwardness.

On the subject of comedians, I do like Ross Noble a lot too.

If they've done more for comedy in general then anyone on the planet, yeah! haha A salute to their genius

RE: Steve Martin, he's very musically accomplished, and in the live shows, he balances that, jokes, and juggling, so I'd say he's pretty good, Acting and writing just add to that resume

Edited by Slamman

@Craig: I saw Bill Bailey live at Sonisphere a few week ago, I got right to the front. It was pissing it down but absolutely hilarious. Myself and everyone around me dancing along to the BBC News rave music, it was AWESOME.

My favourite comedy mind is Eddie Izzard. He goes off on crazy tangents that leads to hilarious "what the f*ck" moments of zany lunacy. Combining slapstick visual humour, silly voices and situations to historical figures and incidents, he's just crazy to watch. Doesn't hurt that he's a history nerd, atheist and dresses in women's clothing, a lot like myself.

Edited by SIKKS66
user posted image

RE: Steve Martin, he's very musically accomplished, and in the live shows, he balances that, jokes, and juggling, so I'd say he's pretty good, Acting and writing just add to that resume

I know, he's a very good banjo player, too. But being talented in other arts does not necessarily transpire into comedy.

Pardon my sh*tty attitude, but I hate "comedians" who base their entire act off of something other than actual comedy. They are the bottom of the barrel, and every time one of them strikes a TV deal/series or tour, an angel dies. Like those no-talent ass clowns you see on Comedy Central who play guitar the whole time and just add some wacky lyrics into the mix. They f*cking suck, and they ought to know it. Juff Dunham is another example, he's an insanely talented ventriloquist, but about as funny as my grandmother. (my grandmother isn't very funny).

Here's another Multi-talented fellow... Of course, impersonated here, but I would point out Music is not on it's own comedy, but you put it in comedic context, which is what Martin does. Well, just from movie work alone, he's done great. But I like his stand up a lot!

This is normally pulled for Rights by Universal, so you'll forgive the quality and reverse imaging, it's the longest clip from SNL

I'm laughing so hard I can barely type! tounge2.giflol.gif

Edited by Slamman

LongHairedFreakyGuy

On the subject of comedians, I do like Ross Noble a lot too.

Caught quite alot of his Biker Tour in Australia, and grew to like him.

My personal favourite, in terms of general comedy, has to be Lee Evans:

Everyone on "Whose line is it anyway?" and there are a lot of them.

I like either version really, and all of the cast is hilarious, and talented, I mean seriously, it has to be difficult to pull stuff out of the air like that.

38773_s.gif

Mister Pink

Not to everyones taste but I do enjoy Tom Green's silly, provocative and tongue-in-cheek humour.

Also, can't believe the Monty Python troupe haven't been mentioned yet! This sketch is genius. If you like humour this is a must watch, classic.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Everyone on "Whose line is it anyway?" and there are a lot of them.

I like either version really, and all of the cast is hilarious, and talented, I mean seriously, it has to be difficult to pull stuff out of the air like that.

Can't believe this show isn't on anymore. Used to be on Dave, but now it's completely gone, unless I'm missing it?

Not sure if it fits in here, but with the mix of 'magic' and comedy, this guy was one of my favourites as a kid.

user posted image

I miss Bernie Mac. icon14.gif

fV9tG4b.gif