87' Toyota Supra V8 Swap

corvettelover

corvettelover

Okay, I found a nice V8 Swap Supra for a good price, but I'm worried about it being road legal.

Would it be road legal? And if not what would I need to do to make it road legal?

Will insurance be insane for it?

Thanks

Aren't you about 16?

Anyway, I don't see any reason why a properly done swap would be illegal. Most of them use the V8 from the Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400, which are basically a Supra underneath. It's one of the easier swaps out there- all one needs to do is drop in the front subframe and engine mounts from an SC or Soarer and then your away- though wiring them can be a challenge. Why wouldn't it be road legal? That said, insurance is likely to be pretty high for it.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

corvettelover

Aren't you about 16?

Anyway, I don't see any reason why a properly done swap would be illegal. Most of them use the V8 from the Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400, which are basically a Supra underneath. It's one of the easier swaps out there- all one needs to do is drop in the front subframe and engine mounts from an SC or Soarer and then your away- though wiring them can be a challenge. Why wouldn't it be road legal? That said, insurance is likely to be pretty high for it.

Actually, I'm about 18.

But what about the lack of smog equipment?

And I think it's a 350 Small Block Chevy swapped into it, the car itself look very nice, no visual mods, stock wheels, new looking paint, good sleeper till you hear it.

Edited by corvettelover

Depends where you live. Some states will require it come out of a same year or newer vehicle. Some won't give a sh*t. Some states, you won't have to delcare it through insurance. Others you will. Really that's just mainly for appraisal value on full coverage.

uYW1Olw.png

corvettelover
Depends where you live. Some states will require it come out of a same year or newer vehicle. Some won't give a sh*t. Some states, you won't have to delcare it through insurance. Others you will. Really that's just mainly for appraisal value on full coverage.

So if I don't get full coverage I'm all good most likely?

Not sure if I'm buying it or not, would be awesome, but it probably get terrible gas milage being a V8 and 3500 pounds.

The gas mileage on one isn't that bad unless it has 4.11 gears or something similar. Hell, the 350 in my friends Cadillac Fleetwood that probably grosses around 5k with him and all his gear in it will get 27 mpg with 2.73's and .70 OD. Besides that, I've never really seen a straight 6 (what the original engine was on the supra) get all that great fuel mileage.

Although it really depends what all is done to the 350.

Edited by Lurch

uYW1Olw.png

Also a suggestion, I'm sure the workers at your local gas station would be more than happy to take your... "tip". If you catch my drift. devil.gif

Also regarding straight 6's, the rb25 and rb26 are Skyline engines, and even with turbo I've seen them get in the mid and high 20's which isn't bad at all compared to some new cars today. Of course not all |6's will get that much but just an example.

Also regarding straight 6's, the rb25 and rb26 are Skyline engines, and even with turbo I've seen them get in the mid and high 20's which isn't bad at all compared to some new cars today. Of course not all |6's will get that much but just an example.

If you spend all your time driving off-boost then perhaps, but drive it how it's designed to be driven and good luck seeing higher than high teens to low twenties. When I ran my S4 I struggled to see more than 20mpg when "pressing on" and the AZB motor is significantly more modern and more refined than the RB25/26, both of which were a good 15 years old by the time the R34 went out of production.

Turbocharged petrol engines over, oh, about 2.5l in size are never going to be the last word on fuel economy. Many are likely to be thirstier than a considerably larger N/A V8 engine when used "properly" due to the sheer volume of air that even the standard turbos are capable of forcing into the cylinders.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4