More Than One Time Period?

powerchord

What if the story in the next GTA took place in two parts? One part in an earlier time period and the other in a later time period. The map would undergo changes from one time period to the next. The radio would change, and your character would be older, etc.

I think it's a supremely cool idea.

Nah man, GTA is all about one engrossing storyline! But if they made it interesting it would be cool! biggrin.gif

It'd be different, but it's not really my thing. I'm sure R* could do something to make it seem more appealing, but it's something I could still do without. I like it better that each story in GTA takes place in one time era, and changes eras over different games for an overall larger storyline. Like how they did it in the GTA III era.

ok what if i wanted to play in the first area of time, not the second?

user posted image

AnthMUFC-Champs

Well in the Fake leak "GTA Chicago" (which was a prank by a GTA fansite) there was multiple era's. Personally i would not favour it but an a whole i would not mind if this happend it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Long_Haired_Boy

I couldn't even finish reading without hearing Driver Parallel Lines in my head.

I already thought about this some time ago... and maybe it could be a great idea! I'm not telling that should be a big time space between the two "stages"... it could be something like this: You go and complete one of those types of missions that necessarily force the protagonist to "stay low" for some time, or even getting out of town. That time space between the stages could be something like 2-3 months... and when we return to the city, it won't necessarily have to be DIFFERENT from the "stage 1" city... but some things could have changed, like some buildings that were under construction could now be ended, or other simple things like this. It isn't really necessary to have a different soundtrack or anything like that, at least it isn't needed IF the time space isn't very large like I said... but this idea working together with a nice storyline that could actually make sense with this, could end up in a nice game!

As long as a time machine was included so I can switch between the two time-zones at will, then sure.

What if the story in the next GTA took place in two parts? One part in an earlier time period and the other in a later time period. The map would undergo changes from one time period to the next. The radio would change, and your character would be older, etc.

It's something they've done before, only in separate games (GTA III and LCS; VC and VCS). If they do try it, it'll mean the map is not going to be as sprawling as people hope, or that the difference in time will be no more than a decade (to save on graphical changes).

Perhaps this could happen as a DLC instead of in the main game?

Personally i think this would be a great idea and would work best in Vice City, we could have our protagonist ungoing something in an earlier time but something happens and he has to go away and come back, once hes back it is the current time. Though it isnt playing in both time periods i think that would be the best way to get two diffrent time periods

Finn 7 five 11

I haven't played mafia II but didn't the protagonist age throughout the story?

I haven't played mafia II but didn't the protagonist age throughout the story?

yes it spanned 8 or so years

I love this idea, and I think it is highly likely to happen. If it doesn't happen at launch, I can see them doing it with DLC.

TrevorSpeed914

Jack Marston from RDRedemption in the early gangster days mixed with WWI or WWII?

I do think this idea but i'm not sure it'll be good for a GTA, as people have already stated GTA has always been a game set in one time period so this 'season' thing could change that aspect but who knows, if R* attempted it i'm sure they could pull it off.

It's something they've done before, only in separate games (GTA III and LCS; VC and VCS). If they do try it, it'll mean the map is not going to be as sprawling as people hope, or that the difference in time will be no more than a decade (to save on graphical changes).

Perhaps this could happen as a DLC instead of in the main game?

I suggested this as a DLC a couple of days ago. cool.gif

As I mentioned in that post, I suggested they could go with different characters for the IV DLC, that interacted with Nikos story, well before it came to light.

Listen to me. cool.gif

Just use flashbacks. It would be cool if they use different seasons of the year too.

Jack Marston from RDRedemption in the early gangster days mixed with WWI or WWII?

WW1 would be most likely.

Yl8KS.jpg

I don't see how GTA gameplay could be improved being in two different historic moments... since one would greatly depend on the other. I think I would change the game so much that maybe a new franchise would be needed.

Maybe my words don't have too much meaning or coherence but I really don't see how it could improve the game. It would somehow affect the sandbox environment because what if you must see some characters in the latest moment but then you kill him in the past moment, they are going to vanish or something? I don't get it, it's too much butterfly effect-like

I don't see how GTA gameplay could be improved being in two different historic moments... since one would greatly depend on the other. I think I would change the game so much that maybe a new franchise would be needed.

Maybe my words don't have too much meaning or coherence but I really don't see how it could improve the game. It would somehow affect the sandbox environment because what if you must see some characters in the latest moment but then you kill him in the past moment, they are going to vanish or something? I don't get it, it's too much butterfly effect-like

No one said time traveling. Have you played Mafia II? They did this right, it was nice to see the city change.

Yl8KS.jpg

As some people already said, GTA is all about a storyline where you control the main protagonist from the beginning of the game to the end without interruption.

But I'm all for a DLC which would take place in a different time than the original game.