New problem: GTA:SA will not start

xXTristar101Xx

xXTristar101Xx

This is a new problem that I've encountered. I've also went out to buy the game, pretty cheap (thanks, lil weasel). It installed fine, but when I try to play it, it won't start up.

Ex: After double-clicking the shortcut, it will say that "GTA San Andreas has stopped working". It does nothing else.

Solutions I've tried: Win98 Compability, reinstallation, administrator mode, downgrading to 1.01 (It's a V2 disc)

But the downgrade won't work either. It tells me when I go to the "gta_sa.exe" that it's not the old file. "This is not the old file. But the file with the same name exsists, the files do not match." And then the "stopped working" message pops up again, as if I were trying to start the game again.

But this is also what I found out that's a mystery to me. In the "GTA San Andreas User Files", there's no "gta_set" file. Yet everything else is there (Including the SAMP files, which is used for playing SAMP (duh)).

What should I do? Thanks for all help provided. Even if it dosen't work.

Edit:

I use a HP P-Series Laptop, and I have an Intel Quad-Core. I use nVidia at a small extent for my graphics.

Edit 2: I am using Windows Vista Home Premium has my OS.

Edited by xXTristar101Xx

The gta_sa.set file is not created until you get to the main menu of the game.

However, I'd like to know where the SA-MP files came from. They're not a part of the original game.

xXTristar101Xx
The gta_sa.set file is not created until you get to the main menu of the game.

However, I'd like to know where the SA-MP files came from. They're not a part of the original game.

I downloaded SA-MP after I installed the game. I didn't even bother to play the game before I installed it, so yeah I just installed it afterwards.

And that must be why. But I can't even start the game period. And it's a brand new bought game. So that's weird.

Arsen Vitiuk

My suggestion is to remove the SAMP scripts and try to launch the game again. If it not works, a simple re-install may help.

xXTristar101Xx

My suggestion is to remove the SAMP scripts and try to launch the game again. If it not works, a simple re-install may help.

Just attempted. It still does the same thing.

Edit:

I've seen a few people use System Restore to fix their GTA:SA problems. Should I do the same?

Edited by xXTristar101Xx

Strip everything out including the SAMP. It is important to get a clean working Disc installed game before you do Anything to mod it.

1) Uninstall SA.

2) Delete the installation folder if it still exists. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

3) Delete the Virtual Store copy of the installation folder too. The Appdata folder might be hidden. (e.g. C:\Users\???\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

4) Delete the gta_sa.set file from your user files folder.

5) Reboot.

6) Reinstall SA.

To Unhide Folders:

START > User > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options> Show Hidden files and Folders.

Note: the GTA_SA.set file is created upon closing of a Game session to hold game play data OS settings/drivers config etc.

xXTristar101Xx
Strip everything out including the SAMP. It is important to get a clean working Disc installed game before you do Anything to mod it.

1) Uninstall SA.

2) Delete the installation folder if it still exists. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

3) Delete the Virtual Store copy of the installation folder too. The Appdata folder might be hidden. (e.g. C:\Users\???\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

4) Delete the gta_sa.set file from your user files folder.

5) Reboot.

6) Reinstall SA.

To Unhide Folders:

START > User > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options> Show Hidden files and Folders.

Note: the GTA_SA.set file is created upon closing of a Game session to hold game play data OS settings/drivers config etc.

lil weasel, you did it again. Thanks man. No wonder how you got that badge.

Nice to see your working! icon14.gif