USCG Question

SlickSpencer8

SlickSpencer8

Hello thier,

I was wondring if anyone knows good information about the United States Coast Guard (USCG). I will be taking my ASVAB test less than 1 month and I have been studying down hard on the books. Although I am worried about boot camp, right know I am streesful about the ASVAB test. I am not good at math nor my vocabulary. Is the ASVAB really difficult test? and if i get a poor grades on those could i fail the whole thing?

And if anyone has been at the USCG boot camp, could you please tell me your story on how it was, aswell as the ASVAB test. Also please no military flame wars. Thanks dozingoff.gif

My buddy just went into the coast guard, he tells me that the test wasn't too bad. He said also that the boot camp was hell, but all boot camps are he says. Sounds like a very rewarding career choice though!

I don't know much about the test/training, but it does sound like an interesting job. Good luck.

user posted image

SlickSpencer8
My buddy just went into the coast guard, he tells me that the test wasn't too bad. He said also that the boot camp was hell, but all boot camps are he says. Sounds like a very rewarding career choice though!

Sweet! Yeah, that why i wanted to join cause there seems like unlimited things you can do thier and yeah I have till next year to get in good shape biggrin.gif

@The-King: Yeah, i really don't give a shi*. All branches have a certin job they do to protect our proud nation. To me they all do great and to my mind, no military is better than the other. They all go out and serve and protect.

@LithiuM: Thanks! icon14.gif

The test itself isnt to bad if you've been actually studying for it. I wouldn't worry so much if you struggle with math or vocab. As long as you'll nearly ace the other sections then your overall score shouldn't be to bad. Just make sure you don't spend to much time on a question you know you wouldn't be able to answer within the allowed time since its going to be easier just to roughly ''estimate'' since its multiple choice and then move onto questions you really do know the answers to.

The main thing to remember is that all Military test findings are for the Good of the Service.

If your vocational schooling was for a mechanic you will be posted to the bakery school, etc.

Don't worry about any tests in the military.

If they need a specific job and there arn't enough candidates they will fill it anyway with what they have. icon14.gif

orly.gif Remember:

From Aztec Shore to Arctic Zone,

To Europe and Far East,

The Flag is flown upon our ships

In times of war and peace;

Never have we struck it yet,

In spite of foemen's might,

Who cheered our crews and cheered again

For showing how to fight.

<Chorus>

We're always ready for the call,

We place our trust in Thee.

Through surf and storm and howling gale,

High shall our purpose be,

"Semper Paratus" is our guide,

Our fame, our glory, too.

To fight to save or fight and die!

Aye! Coast Guard, we are for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_C7m_5aZXQ

I thought it was a rum deal when in 1967 the USCG was transfered from the Treasury Dept.

Edited by lil weasel

SlickSpencer8
The test itself isnt to bad if you've been actually studying for it. I wouldn't worry so much if you struggle with math or vocab. As long as you'll nearly ace the other sections then your overall score shouldn't be to bad. Just make sure you don't spend to much time on a question you know you wouldn't be able to answer within the allowed time since its going to be easier just to roughly ''estimate'' since its multiple choice and then move onto questions you really do know the answers to.

Thanks for the good suggestions!! icon14.gif

Off topic : I swear you lived in the UK.

Jesus'En'Hitler420

I actually just had my appointment with a recruiter and I turned in my SS# and birth certificate and etcetera. I'm curious about what would disqualify you from joining the CG or any other branch? I am more concerned about the CG though because they only have around 50,000 enlisted and I can't help but think that because of the small force size that they would turn people away more easily than other branches.

(Section 8)... Homosexual proclivity.

Physical defect.

Felony conviction.

Moral turpitude

Lack of or Poor Education.

It is possible to fail the ASVAB, but you have to practically try to do it. As long as you know fourth grade math and sixth grade English you should be fine. Some services accept scores lower then others. I just finished up my service with the Navy last October. The Navy trains separate from the Coasties, so I have no idea what your boot camp experience will be like. Probably a lot of marlinspike and shipboard fire fighting, though. Those two things never change. Learn the history of the Coast Guard. That will definitely help you on the written tests you will have to take through boot camp. You should also be able to hit at least 60 push-ups/sit-ups and run a mile and a half to pass your physical exams. If any opportunity arises to take on a leadership role during training, do it. It can make the difference of coming out of boot camp as an E-1 or an E-3. Making promotion to E-4 obviously comes a lot faster if you are already ranked higher then your peers. You need to make E-5 before you start earning any real money.

Boot camp seems daunting and you are going to want to blend in and escape the notice of your Division Commanders... don't. Volunteer for everything. It's only two months of your life and it will make the first two years of your service a lot more rewarding if you can make E-4 right out of the gate. Not to mention you will get out of a lot of the bitch work.

im50CZq.gif
Mii44or.gif

SlickSpencer8
because they only have around 50,000 enlisted

Well the United States Coast Guard is smaller in then the nypd. so...

The ASVAB is easy, but you should still try to do the best you can so you qualify for more jobs. I don't really know anything about the coast guard bootcamp or anything, as I'm in the Navy. Our bootcamp was a joke. Try to get as much rate as you can right off also.

Now excuse me while I get shipped to the middle east today. confused.gif