RAM not running at stock speeds

YankeesPwnMets

YankeesPwnMets

I recently bought RAM for my Dell Inspiron 518. It was made by PNY, and it was a PC2-6400 stick. My original 2GB stick that Dell put in was also a PC2-6400 stick, and before I upgraded the RAM, it was always stuck at 400 Mhz. I bought a new 2GB 800 mhz stick from PNY, and both sticks are still 400 Mhz. I don't have much experience working with OEM BIOS so does anyone think they could help me?

The BIOS reports that RAM is in Dual Channel mode and the speed the BIOS shows is 800 Mhz

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1

4GB DDR2 PC2 6400 RAM

Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.2 Ghz

Intel Integrated Graphics

Both sticks are at their stock 1.8 V. The stick that came with the Dell is from a manufactrer called Elpida. The stick I bought is from PNY

The memory slot config goes like this on the motherboard:

DIMM_1 (White)

DIMM_2 (Black)

DIMM_3 (White)

DIMM_4 (Black)

The original stick was in DIMM_1, so I put the stick I bought into DIMM_3

Here are some CPU Z screenshots: These CPU Z screenies were taking with Prime95 running and I modified the Blend settings so that P95 would use 3072 MB of RAM since about 700 MB was being allocated at the time

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1912586

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Oh, I've had a similar problem with Dell, not related to dual channel or seemingly memory branding but rather the motherboard iteration. I can't speak for that model, but I own D800 I mentioned here long ago, and JELLY has joked about, he'll remember I'm sure. However, I still use one and bought another, My RAM was the highest DDR speed but I found if I had bought a Precision versus the Latitude, I'd get the full RAM speed, whereas the D800 runs at the lowest DDR speeds, but still looks and acts the same, it's some sort of performance question with the Precision series, but I'm not too happy to learn of this, it is true, however! DELL cheated customers! haha

YankeesPwnMets
Dual Channel. 2x 400Mhz = 800Mhz

The first stick was running at 400 Mhz even before I install the second stick. I still have my Dell invoice from a few years back when I got it and it says the RAM has a speed of 800 Mhz

leik oh em jeez!

Technically when DDR memory is running at 400Mhz, it's moving twice as much data, so it's the same as 800Mhz SDR. CPU-Z shows ALL DDR RAM at half speed. This is normal.

If it makes you feel any better, here's my E8400 system with 2x OC'ed 1Gb OCZ 800Mhz DIMMs:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by leik oh em jeez!

DDR - Double Data Rate. However, it's best to run close to the FSB for the CPU in the same system as far as upgrades I believe

I've got 4 GB RAM, CPU-Z is showing:

(Type RAM: DDR2)

Max Bandwidth : PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Manufacturer : Swissbit

What's the speed of my RAM, also 800 MHz?

And what's the difference between DDR, DDR2 and DDR3?

YankeesPwnMets

DDR is 184 pin. DDR2 and DDR3 sticks have 240 pins

DDR2 RAM voltages are 1.80 V. DDR3 is normally 1.50 V or 1.65 V

There are more, but I'm too lazy to explain it all tounge.gif