Motioncapture

leyja

Is motion capture a good idea for gta v .......as long we dont have to tell whos lying or telling the truth in every cutscene

i personally didnt like the way LA Noire looked so no, but if they can do it while still having a GTAesque look then i suppose, but i dont think there is anything wrong with how the grpahics were in IV so many people beg for realism but its a video, you want realism go live your real life

Why not theyve being trying to get the game a more realistic feel but not like a simulator so la noire is la noire and gta is gta so i do favor motioncapture over rendered graphics like they do in other games

Almost all modern games use motion capture, including every GTA since GTA2.

Of course, OP is talking about MotionScan, the technology behind LA Noire's real time face scan, capture, and render technology.

And no, GTA doesn't need MotionScan.

Thanks ^^^ for correcting my mistake but how much you wana bet rockstar is going to use motionscan for gta v

If GTA has been in development for a while, it's unlikely R* have used MotionScan. Its use is not just limited to capturing "truth or lies" expressions however; it is useful for capturing a very large quantity of different people's faces and expressions in a very short amount of time without going through the extremely time-intensive process still in use by most developers. That is its true potential: R* could save thousands of hours in future game development by purchasing the technology from Team Bondi. Its only limitation is that it captures the person's face only- for now- and that the model will look like the finished product; but this opens GTA to famous actors again.

Remember how ugly all the women in IV looked? With MotionScan, R* can finally make the hookers pretty wink.gif

We don't need MotionScan, seriously, the L.A Noire faces were fugly. It would be a waste of money, and dare I say it, a waste of diskspace. I wasn't too happy about three disks for the 360, so GTA would be the same and as I passed into a new island "Please insert disk 2 to continue" NO THANKS.

We don't need MotionScan, seriously, the L.A Noire faces were fugly. It would be a waste of money, and dare I say it, a waste of diskspace. I wasn't too happy about three disks for the 360, so GTA would be the same and as I passed into a new island "Please insert disk 2 to continue" NO THANKS.

While I agree it shouldn't be used, if they were to use it there wouldn't be any issues with going to another part of the map. Like in L.A. Noire, only the story would be split up among discs.

GamerShotgun

Besides... I'm not that lazy to change a disc to another....

Im lazy, I was not happy about getting up to change the disk :L

American? moto_whistle.gif

Check out this video to see some of the plans Team Bondi (who owns the tech) has for MotionScan:

(acting as a middleware company for other developers, doing full body motionscan). Edited by Adriaan

Im lazy, I was not happy about getting up to change the disk :L

American? moto_whistle.gif

Check out this video to see some of the plans Team Bondi (who owns the tech) has for MotionScan:

(acting as a middleware company for other developers, doing full body motionscan).

I am british actually. An no, I am not fat.I just feel that video games are for chilling out and doing nothing, with LA Noire I had to move to progress through the game :L

Finn 7 five 11
If GTA has been in development for a while, it's unlikely R* have used MotionScan. Its use is not just limited to capturing "truth or lies" expressions however; it is useful for capturing a very large quantity of different people's faces and expressions in a very short amount of time without going through the extremely time-intensive process still in use by most developers. That is its true potential: R* could save thousands of hours in future game development by purchasing the technology from Team Bondi. Its only limitation is that it captures the person's face only- for now- and that the model will look like the finished product; but this opens GTA to famous actors again.

Remember how ugly all the women in IV looked? With MotionScan, R* can finally make the hookers pretty wink.gif

There is another side to this argument, Motionscan is still very time consuming, the acting would take much longer, since it is not just reading from a script, cutscenes would have to be done a lot more often, and better actors would have to be hired, which costs more money.

You must also take into account the amount of time it takes to put all this film together, there are (if i remember correctly) 16, or 32 cameras filming at the same time, then all the video has to be processed, and made to fit together in a smooth motion.

The motion Scan technology is ridiculously expensive anyway, i don't see it worthwhile for Rockstar at this stage, it would be a nice implement, but it really isn't necessary for Grand Theft Auto, normal animations look great on some games, such as uncharted, i could mistake that for motion scan at times

Harwood Butch3r

I am british actually. An no, I am not fat.I just feel that video games are for chilling out and doing nothing, with LA Noire I had to move to progress through the game :L

So what happens when you open up your game case? Should the disc jump and insert it self into your 360, because you shouldn't have to do anything?

Multiple disc games are nothing new. I still remember PS1 games with multiple discs. Seriously it takes what? 5 seconds to swap over the disc? F*** it's not like it's hard work. confused.gif

Anyway I don't really see the point of motion scan in GTA. It looked amazing in LA Noire, but since we're not determining if someone is telling the truth, doubting them, or accusing them of lying I don't see much point.

They are not using MotionScan like LA Noire because then Rockstar would have to find the exact actors

they wanted in the game to portray the characters R* envisioned.

also rockstar used image metrics technology for GTA IV which seems to get the job done.

Personally, I thought LA Noire looked awesome. I liked being able to recognise the actors.

it's not necessary but I'd enjoy it.

They already use motion capture.

we know he corrected himself in the 5th(?) post i believe, he meant motionscan but i understood what he meant from the beginning

Edited by AndreaXCII

scotland4life

There's no logical reason to use MotionScan in GTA. L.A. Noire depended on it for the game to work and was a fundamental game mechanic. MotionScan in L.A. Noire was the crux of the game and if it didn't have it, it wouldn't be nearly as brilliant, nor as groundbreaking, as it is.

Yes, MotionScan looked great (perhaps the faces were a touch blurry up close but a small complaint) and it would be great if every game could support it to add to the realism, but the fact is no game other than L.A. Noire really requires it, not to mention the amount of space the data takes up on 360 discs. It isn't feasible.

Edited by scotland4life

For those complaining on swapping discs in the x box version of la noire blame it on microsoft i aint a fanboy but rockstar could really use motionscan type of hardware to make people more reallistic and i dont see why the races in la noire look ugly maybe its time to get a new pair of glasses?

Ispintechno

I'm playing LA Noire right now and the faces look amazing! Ugly?

Grand theft auto has ugly faces. Just look at Niko's mug. Too ugly for the movies.

I would welcome this type of motion capture to the franchise, not just for cut scenes but the huge difference in all the characters just walking around. I'm very impressed.

That said, I don't think it's necessary but I would be very happy if it had it, especially for how long we have waited. If we ain't getting the game until late 2012 I would even go as far as saying we should probably expect it. The bar has been raised at R*.