Graphics Card Advice

_Rob_

Hi, I'm running the motherboard graphics card at the moment, but am frustrated about the low fps in games etc, so I want to get a decent graphics card as cheap as possible.

My specs are

Motherboard

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Manufacturer: ASRock

- Model: K10N78FullHD-hSLI.. 

- BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.

- BIOS Model: Default System BIOS, version P1.70

- Connections: PCI1 (Free), PCI2 (Free), PCIE1 (Free), PCIE2 (In use)

- Ports:

Processor

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Model: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor (Quad Core)

- Clock Speed: 2300 MHz

- Socket & Cache(s): CPUSocket, 2,048 KB L2 Cache, 2,048 KB L3 Cache

Memory

¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Size: 3,326 MB RAM

- Type(s): 2,048 MB RAM (DDR2-266 PC2-2100 133 MHz, DIMM), 2,048 MB RAM (DDR2-266 PC2-2100 133 MHz, DIMM)

Harddisk

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- File Format(s): NTFS (C:)

- Size: 465.76 GB (465.76 GB (C:) )

- Free Space: 22.55 GB (22.55 GB (C:) )

Drives

¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Type(s): C: Local Fixed Disk, D: Unknown, E: Unknown, F: Removable Disk, G: Removable Disk, H: Removable Disk, I: Removable Disk, J: Unknown, K: Unknown, L: Unknown

- Model(s): C: MDT MD5000AAJS-00TKA0 ATA Device IDE, D: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device, E: MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000, F: Unknown, G: Unknown, H: Unknown, I: Unknown, J: MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0001, K: MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0002, L: MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0003

Sound Card

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Manufacturer: Realtek

- Model: Realtek High Definition Audio

Display

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Manufacturer: (Standard monitor types)

- Model: Generic PnP Monitor

- Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (Widescreen 16:9 WXGA Full HD 1080p/i)

- Color Depth: 32-bit

- Refresh Rate: 50 Hz

Mouse

¯¯¯¯¯

- Manufacturer: Microsoft

- Model: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

- # of Buttons: 2

- Connection: PS/2

Keyboard

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Model: Standard PS/2 Keyboard

- Type: Enhanced (101- or 102-key)

- # of Function Keys: 12

Network Card

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Model(s): NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (Ethernet 802.3), RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card (Ethernet 802.3)

- Addresses: IP: 192.168.1.74, MAC: 00:1F:1F:35:19:05, DHCP: 192.168.1.254

DirectX

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Version: 10.1

Operating System

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

- Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic

- Version: 6.0.6001

- Service Pack: Service Pack 1

I want a graphics card good enough to run current gen titles, GTA, Arkham Asylum etc and give me a good amount of room for 3DS max etc as I rely on that for work. Any advice is appreciated smile.gif

friendly luggage

What's your PSU and does it have any 6 pin connecters? If not you will be limited in your choice and will probably have to go for a 5670.

Lowest price new on Amazon £51.95

Sapphire 5670 on Amazon

Seems to run well smile.gif

Not sure which patch he's using though

Until we know your PSU make and model we're stuck for choice sad.gif

Edited by illegal_luggage

Well I had a "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series" which ran IV perfectly and used that with the same PSU with no issues so :S

Well I had a "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series" which ran IV perfectly and used that with the same PSU with no issues so :S

Still that card is old, the current generation requires more power.

Do you have a certain budget?

3lIXKDi.png

Under £50 would be nice, I guess I can stretch to a PSU if needed.

Under £50 would be nice, I guess I can stretch to a PSU if needed.

Then you'll have to go with illegal_luggage's suggestion (5670), best value there for £50 icon14.gif

Edited by PrometheusX
3lIXKDi.png

corvettelover
Right oh, then I think I will, much appreciated everyone smile.gif

Hey, if you wanna wait a day or so I can tell you how a 5670 runs IV, I have a XFX 5760 DDR5 512MB coming in the mail, If you get one make sure its DDR5, the DDR5 version is close to as fast, and sometimes faster, than the 9800GT, depending on the game.

corvettelover
OK I can wait, thanks smile.gif

Hey, you don't need to upgrade your PSU, the 5670 only take a max of 61W if I remember right, so it doesn't even have a power connector, it just takes its power from the PCI-E slot.

I'll post back when I get the card and run IV, I can tell you how it runs Crysis 2 if you'd like also smile.gif

Not worried about Crysis, but IV for sure, especially with modding finally taking off tounge.gif, cheers. user posted image

Alright bro.

This is the thing with using generic PSUs. It's not really wise to put much, if any load on them, especially with a modern system, coz they rarely supply the power they're specd at. So I recommend upgrading your PSU regardless of whether you get a video card that needs external power or not.

I'd personally get this 1GB HD5670 and this 350W Antec at the least.

FIOszpJ.gif

corvettelover

Alright bro.

This is the thing with using generic PSUs. It's not really wise to put much, if any load on them, especially with a modern system, coz they rarely supply the power they're specd at. So I recommend upgrading your PSU regardless of whether you get a video card that needs external power or not.

I'd personally get this 1GB HD5670 and this 350W Antec at the least.

Well, I don't know about his PSU, but I ran a 9500GT on a 250W PSU for 2 years without a single problem, this was a DDR2 factory Overclocked version. I guess if he has the money he could get a new PSU, but I think his 450W PSU would be fine, even if its a crappy generic one.

I personally wouldn't risk my parts with a PSU that doesn't supply what it's rated. Upgrades are expensive, and I don't wanna kill my parts. I'd end up saving more by spending a little extra on a good PSU than cheap out and stick with a generic and damage/fry all my parts.

FIOszpJ.gif

leik oh em jeez!

What about an HD4850? It's only DX10 and runs a little hotter, but is a bit faster, and you can probably find one cheaper.

Nevermind, got a new job today and in celebration I bought the 5670, thanks all for your help biggrin.gif

corvettelover
Nevermind, got a new job today and in celebration I bought the 5670, thanks all for your help biggrin.gif

Did you run IV yet? It runs IV @ 1680x1050 all high setting except texture which is forced at medium (i got the GDDR5 512MB version) very smooth, haven't tried very high cause High looks good to me, plus R* say's that Very High shadows is for 2GB video cards. I'm trying Overdrive right now to see the improvements of Overdrive. I just got the video card in the mail this morning.

It hasn't arrived yet, I only ordered it today tounge.gif, and if your talking to me Warlord. unfortunately Vista.

corvettelover

It hasn't arrived yet, I only ordered it today tounge.gif, and if your talking to me Warlord. unfortunately Vista.

64 or 32? I had Vista 64, but I installed a 7 32bit trial and man, IV stutters like a motherf*cker, did it with my old gpu too, so I gotta install Vista 64 again to get rid of the stutter. (I have a 64bit processor and 5GB's of ram)

You shouldn't be dissapointed with the 5670, some games it beats the 9800GT by a few fps and some the 9800GT beats it by a few fps.

Overdrive gives you an extra 10gb/s memory bandwidth over stock, so you should try it. It brought mine from 64gb/s to 74gb/s, not bad at all.

If you run a patch with the old shadows you should be able to run very high, with 1.0.7.0 it runs it smooth at high. I'm not sure about Very High on 1.0.7.0, but I'm assuming it'll slow it down quite a bit.

Which 5670 did you get?

The one posted earlier with a link to Amazon, and it's 32, but I ran IV perfectly with my old card and patch 1.0.7.0 before it died, (death was unrelated).

corvettelover
The one posted earlier with a link to Amazon, and it's 32, but I ran IV perfectly with my old card and patch 1.0.7.0 before it died, (death was unrelated).

Ah, you got a Quad Core, it should run even better for you. I got a AMD 64 X2 5200+ so I'm a bit CPU limited now.

This is why I recommended upgrading the PSU as well.

FIOszpJ.gif

It wasn't that that killed it, it was the fact a toddler spilled cola on it confused.gif

Finn 7 five 11

It wasn't that that killed it, it was the fact a toddler spilled cola on it confused.gif

Save up for a PSU anyway i think, you can get a good brand (good quality) with = or higher wattage for $45-60 from newegg, or are you from the uk?

Edit: i thought you were from the UK i wasn't sure, but i just saw the flag.

Yes from the UK, but won't getting a higher wattage PSU send too much power to my PC?