authenticity

gtafanjw

what if R* would pay a real company to sponsor the game ( Like you can wear Jordans or Drive Cadillacs. )

Thoughts......

The game would lose its charm. Part of the appeal is the fact everything in game exists within its own unique universe. The only real world name that's welcome in GTA is R*, for obvious reasons. And I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

plus gta is a PARODY of the real world, and companies don't want their products being mocked.

I don't think any car manufacturer would sponsor GTA given the tendency for those cars to flip over, burst into flames and explode.

Wouldn't like it.

I prefer R*'s made up brands, companies etc.

Same here.

I enjoy the parodies. That's about 90% of their humour afterall.

user posted image

Kwandilibro

I not only prefer parodies over real life brands, but would rather R* put their money to better use than copyrights.

Tsar_Smirnoff

Yeah, I love the brands that they make up in the GTA universe. I like seeing billboards that say "e-Cola: Infectiously Delicious!" as opposed to a simple Coca-Cola advertisement. Plus, the brands have become part of GTA's identity now.....I mean if anyone mentions Sprunk, Burger Shot, or Cluckin' Bell, most people in the gaming community know you're referring to GTA.

28a3ogg.jpg

I read somewhere before Vice City was developed that Rockstar actually did want real car licences. Car manufacturers didn't agree though because of the way you can destroy them, run over people with them etc.

Just bad publicity I guess is the only thing.

TenEightyOne
NO. because the made up names make me chuckle.

Precisely this.

Train Hard, Pro Laps.

I still laugh when I read that for the 1,000,000th time smile.gif

The whole way Rockstar pardoy brands creates a more imersive environment then if we had adverts for real world brands all the time. If Rockstar did use real world brands for the game, then It would ruin it for me. As I'd feel the game is just one huge advert, not to mention I'd want to pay a hell of a alot less for it knowing the game has been subsidised.

Mainland Marauder

There's too much product placement in games as it is. While it can lend an air of realism in some things - say, real-life stadium ads in a sports game like FIFA - part of GTA's appeal is those parodies, where people drink Sprunk and not Sprite etc. The radio commercials, instead of being funny, are the same drink-Bud-drive-Ford-eat-McDonald's crap you hear on the real radio.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

The parodies are what lend a great deal towards the humor and satire of GTA culture, why would any GTA-fan in their right mind want to take that away?

I'm sure brands the OP mentioned would love to have their products associated with senseless killing, too!

The game would lose its charm. Part of the appeal is the fact everything in game exists within its own unique universe. The only real world name that's welcome in GTA is R*, for obvious reasons. And I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Well, sonnyblack said it all, in my opinion!If that would happen some day (which i really don't believe it could or should happen...) GTAs would lose a lot of its SOUL, got it?... i mean, that's one of the main brands of the series, and don't want it otherwise too. cool.gif

KEEP IT REAL, R*!!!!

Mainland Marauder

I mean, seriously, would you rather have your character eat/replenish his health at a boring old KFC or at Cluckin' Bell, being served by minimum wage workers dressed like the freakin' San Diego Chicken?

Cluckin' Bell guy > Colonel Sanders

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

Sunrise Driver

Real cities, street, building names - would like (GTA London for ex.).

Real brands, car names - nah.

TenEightyOne

I guess there's another problem (as alluded to above).

There are people in real-life who commit quite horrible crimes; if they're found to own a copy of GTA then we see the tired old GTA-Breeds-Killers press stories... which conveniently ignore the view of research which finds that video games keep kids OFF the streets. Ah well.

Still, imagine what would happen if Pizza Hut got themselves into the game. We all like to go in, replenish our health, belch, waste the place in a hailstorm of hot lead. In the game, of course.

One real-life day someone's going to actually rob Pizza Hut and actually shoot somebody - it'll suddenly be GTA's fault but the focus will also fall very heavily (and very negatively) on Pizza Hut themselves. I can't see any market-leading company wanting to lay themselves open to that kind of event.

Mainland Marauder

"WASTED! This trip to the hospital is brought to you by State Farm Insurance. Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there!"

barf8bd.gif

Ispintechno

Authenticity is just fancy talk for killing creativity.

I prefer to think of GTA as a separate universe like on fringe. Somewhere Walternate is pulling strings over there.

"WASTED! This trip to the hospital is brought to you by State Farm Insurance. Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there!"

barf8bd.gif

Ok I think I'd actually laugh pretty hard if I ever seen that in game. lol.gif

Harwood Butch3r

Bad idea. Pretty much agree with everyone else.

I love that GTA makes fun of real life branding. If it had real brands like car manufacturers, fast food outlets, clothing etc it would feel "too" real. IMO

LA Noire features real cars, but from what I've seen I think it still uses fictional branding.

GTA wouldn't be GTA without its real life piss takes.

maybe if the entire company was rapidly losing money and needed extra profit so they added ads in the game. . . .

no, the fact its a gta game itself pays off for the company i bet, having actuall brands and stuff would be to real for me and i love the satirical look on the world in gta

It wouldn't be any fun.

Who doesn't like driving along and being met with a billboard for Prolaps. I laugh every time.

allhailkingryan

I suppose it would be cool to wear real branded clothing, aswell as the GTA pisstakes. But clothing is the only RL thing I'd like to see in gta