Do you live a "healthy" lifestyle?

BondTrader

BondTrader

Well, we've all seen in on the news lately. The high obesity rates, people dying of heart attacks caused by cholesterol and etc. We see many countries' governments fighting obesity and promoting healthy eating and exercising. The greatest example is probably First Lady Michelle Obama (I don't wanna see anyone getting off-topic and flamming her husband) trying to promote a "healthy" lifestyle to children.

Personally, I do care about my health, my nutrition isn't the greatest but I usually don't eat fast-food and exercise multiple times per week. I believe that a healthy lifestyle is important, but I am not "extremely careful" about it. I don't check the calories in everything I eat. I just eat the regular rice, meat, potatoes, salad etc. Drink water and exercise.

Please share your opinions on the importance of a "healthy" lifestyle.

Do you live a healthy lifestyle? To what extent do you care about your health?

I've got an extremely fast metabolism, so I don't really need to worry about any abundance of fat or calories. I eat fast food a lot, mostly because it's cheaper and faster (whodathunk) than going to the store and preparing dinner. I still make home meals every week, but one day will usually comprise of a McChicken.

I run around my neighbourhood everyday and I lift weights every other day, but that should be required for anyone. The main problem of health I have is extremely high blood pressure. Other then that, I don't regularly consume any sort of outside stimuli (drugs, over the counter pills) aside from the occasional bottle of Jack Daniels a week.

kzgN7qp.png

I hardly live a healthy lifestyle, but like the above; my metabolism is extremely fast. No matter how much I eat, I remain thin so I don't really have a need to exercise as I am not at risk of putting on excess weight. I do eat fruit and vegetables as well as other food of nutritional value on a near-daily basis, though (as well as other junk food) so that would probably be a factor, and during the warmer months; I will do mild exercise two to three times a week, such as weights or running, depends. smile.gif Whereas during winter, I normally don't exercise at all because it is often too cold to go outside and run.

As for a "healthy lifestyle", in my opinion; I think that people who have a genetic risk of heart disease, or cancer; or other related diseases; should be the only ones that have to really worry about their health, and watch what they eat. People who are prone to putting on excess weight (or have a history of being overweight) should also be watching what they eat, too. Obviously people who are overweight should put the effort into doing regular exercise to loose their weight--but for people who don't do exercise and can eat however much and whatever they want and still not put on weight, then why the hell not do that? It would be a pretty lazy lifestyle that may lead to problems later on in life, but still. tounge.gif

RE9mJnf.png

exercise and my way of life are combined, I dont lift weights or go runnin, I just have to work hard a lot and this results in me staying fit and strong, I do care about what I eat also, but I'm not fussy and always make sure I finish what is on the plate, nothing worse than wasting food.

7cg1vNw.png

I used to not care so much. I also had a fast metabolism but I think it's starting to slow down because my body is really showing what I eat if I consume unhealthy foods often enough. I do have a bit of a gut, but I'm not overweight.

Why I care now I have no idea. Or rather, I don't know why I never really cared before. As recent as a few years ago, I'd stuff myself with fried foods and baked goods for the sake of convenience and taste. Who wouldn't? Effects started to show though, and I realised I can have my cake and eat it too (literally) providing I look after myself a bit.

I now eat a lot of fish, fruit and vegetables. I aim for 5 a day and almost always reach it and beyond. It's a placebo effect too - I feel good for doing it. Obviously it doesn't show an instant change, and you'd be a naive fool to believe the effects are immediate, but it's a contribution and certainly adds to the long term benefit.

I used to swim 100 lengths of my local swimming pool before discovering pie. I should really take that up again. The one thing I do neglect is exercise. I always try and convince myself I get enough of it at work. I work at a residential care home so I'm naturally running about like an idiot when I'm putting people to bed, getting them ready in the morning and so on. It's often hard to stick to a healthy eating schedule due to my work hours but I do quite alright.

So, yes, I do care about my health. I'd hate to hit 30 and feel like I'm waking up with sugar sweats and a craving for burgers. I know that's an exaggeration somewhat, but I'm starting to get just how important it is to have well-oiled cogs.

Dying of a heart attack is certainly worse that wasting food. wink.gif Plus, anything you can't fully digest just becomes sh*t anyway! At least I'd feel comfortable throwing my leftovers in the compost. Not quite ready to start defecating in the garden. wink.gif

I, once upon a time, had this mythical fast metabolism. It does not last forever. There are a few simple things I've learned to avoid, as far as diet goes, and I'd argue that number one on that list is Glucose/Fructose. Also known and High Fructose Corn Syrop. And most other sugars as well.

I don't believe in calorie counting, either. In my adventures with fitness, calories have been the most abstract measurement I've ever tried to record. Not only is it imprecise, but incredibly misleading.

So yeah, for the past 4 years or so, I've actively tried to live a healthy lifestyle. With mixed results. But I do feel healthier, and I'm the most physically fit I've ever been in my life. Which is a good feeling as well.

I don't believe in calorie counting, either. In my adventures with fitness, calories have been the most abstract measurement I've ever tried to record. Not only is it imprecise, but incredibly misleading.

I share this opinion. Counting your intake ruins meal times and impairs taste. It seems like a strong and unusual stance, but it's true - if you can't trust a lasagne before you eat it, you're just going to be thinking of what it's going to do to your body and what you'll have to do to balance it out.

I too have a really fast metabolism, but I know it won't last. I go running with my dog 4-5 times a day and try to eat relatively healthily. I eat 2 apples a day, but it doesn't exactly do my teeth very good, killer on the enamel. I have a banana about every other day and usually have 2-3 different vegetables with my tea. But some days I just have 2 apples as far as fruit and veg goes (I really love those blood apples).

I only drink water, apart from with my tea when I have orange, but the diluted stuff not proper juice. I don't like tea, coffee or fizzy drinks. But just because I eat plenty of fruit and veg doesn't mean I don't have lots of bad things as well, I don't go out of my way to avoid any things. If I want a chocolate bar or a bag of crisps I'll have them.

People often criticise the government or other organisations for sticking their oar into people lives and for telling them how to eat and what they should and shouldn't do. But I think they have every right, especially here in the UK when the fatties get their treatment on the NHS, costing the tax payer billions every year.

I think it's important to live a healthy life style, but I think too many people today don't know what that really is. You see people "dieting" and eating low calorie foods, and half the time they're as guilty as being malnourished as fight people are of being over-nourished. There's a real give and take in our society when it comes to the idea of a "healthy" lifestyle.

Unfortunately I think too much of it is wrapped up in consumerism. People want to lose weight and look great more than they really want to be healthy, but there is a market for both... So not only do you have things like the "48 Hour Hollywood Diet" which is nothing more than a crash course of laxatives, but you also have health stores like CNC that sell all sorts of vitamins and what not and while that's great, too many people look at the items they're purchasing as if they're some kind of "cure all". There is a huge market built around the "health" industry, and so in a lot of ways I don't think that a lot of the people encouraging others to be fit and active are really doing so in the better interest of that person's health.

Personally I think living healthy is about your quality of life while you're still here. You can swim laps every day, watch your diet, and still wind up dead from a heart attack just on a whim--it actually happens quite a lot. The point about living healthy to me is so that you can actually enjoy the time you've got here rather than suffering from various health ailments or limitations. I mean, if you're going to die at 60 no matter what, would you rather be healthy enough to swim laps in a pool or stuck on a Hover-round sticking yourself with glucose meters because you gave yourself diabetes?

I don't live a healthy lifestyle at all though. I'm pretty sure I'll probably die at 40 or 50 if I don't change the way I live. I pretty much pay no attention to what I eat or how active I am, and the crappy thing about that is the longer you go along that route the harder it is to actually change. My biggest problem is just staying committed to exercising.... It's just so easy to make a choice like, "Well, I'll do it tomorrow." I remember talking to a that just had a heart attack about how he forces himself to run and he says, "Well, I just look at as If I don't do this today I won't be alive tomorrow and decide if I want to die tomorrow." Seems a little bit extreme to me, but I guess it's a good way to look at it.

I don't think the government has a right to step in and tell people what they should eat and can't eat, and I don't think that fat people shouldn't be allowed to get health care even if the majority of their problems are caused by their weight. I mean, I'll agree that there's a whole hell of a lot of fat people out there that are just lazy and don't want to lose the weight, but I think a lot more of them have a few underlying medical conditions that makes it a lot more difficult for them... And no, I don't mean a thyroid issue. I mean when Big Susanne eats all her life and her family celebrates it by calling her "Big Susanne" and then when he's 24 weighs 500 pounds and his having heart attacks... Well, it's a little late for Big Susanne to go jog her ass around the block, and I don't think we should leave people like that to fend for themselves.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I think that sometimes this sort of issue can be over dramatised and made out to be a lot worse than it is. This doesn't mean that this particular issue is not a problem because it certainly is and it's a very big one, but at the same time, I think you get people who can take the issue too far.

They act as if it is completely wrong to eat any type of food which is remotely unhealthy. There is nothing bad about having the odd McDonald's here and there. As long as you do this sort of thing in moderation, it is absolutely fine. There will always be a certain group of people with an attitude that differs to this. They are of the opinion that you will become fat unless you stick to a strictly healthy diet with no food which would be considered 'bad' for you, when in reality you need to have some of these types of food.

I think that sometimes this sort of issue can be over dramatised and made out to be a lot worse than it is. This doesn't mean that this particular issue is not a problem because it certainly is and it's a very big one, but at the same time, I think you get people who can take the issue too far.

They act as if it is completely wrong to eat any type of food which is remotely unhealthy. There is nothing bad about having the odd McDonald's here and there. As long as you do this sort of thing in moderation, it is absolutely fine. There will always be a certain group of people with an attitude that differs to this. They are of the opinion that you will become fat unless you stick to a strictly healthy diet with no food which would be considered 'bad' for you, when in reality you need to have some of these types of food.

The issue with becoming fat is not from eating food with fats in them... it's all about calories. If you go over your BMR daily, you will gain weight.. that simple. As for if I lvie a healthy lifestyle, yes, I live an extremely healthy one. And the whole moderation thing is true, but the definition of moderation should really be only once or twice a week .

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I live healthy:

I drink NOTHING but water. I save money by going to the tap(thankfully Boston has excellent water).

I shop on the PERIMETER of the Super Market. This is where the whole foods are located. Try your best not to buy anything in the aisles, that is where the sh*t food is.

I WALK as much as possible even though I own a car. Walk everywhere. Get a dog if you have to. Just walk!

SLEEP!!! This is the most underrated aspect of living healthy. 8 hours is preferable, but you won't get it if your mattress sucks. Invest in a good mattress, it will be the best thing you ever buy!

Don't STRESS! Are you in immediate physical danger? If yes, then stress! If no, then relax! Remain optimistic and you'll be amazed at how few "problems" you actually have. Tip: The TV is making you depressed.