Problem with C Drive

pauliux2

Everything looks just fine...Until i refresh My Computer...Look:

(SORRY FOR THE BIG PICS!!!)

Look at the C Drive space...

user posted image

After two minutes...

http://i.imgur.com/B40p7.png

So as you can see,the space is getting lesser and lesser...I aint installing/downloading anything..What could be the promblem?

Temp files and/or the page file using hard drive space.

You really should free up some space as having full hard drives like that can slow your computer down.

Temp files and/or the page file using hard drive space.

You really should free up some space as having full hard drives like that can slow your computer down.

About the D Drive..Guess who has tons of movies blush.gif

About the C..I don't know where the space dissapears...One day its about 2GB's,the other day its about 100 MB's..

OverTheBelow

Perhaps you should consider getting a new harddrive - The Samsung Spinpoint F3 would be a fantastic suggestion for good price|performance ratio.

It'll probably be the temp folder using up space on C. Every time you load a page or an image or thumbnails they are saved into the temp folder till you restart or whatever. Check if your recycle bin is empty to try and redeem a bit of space.

DU8afL0.jpg

james227uk

Try a program called WinDirStat. It will show you which folders/files are using the most amount of space

Personally I like TreeSize better. Mostly because you can have it added to the contextual menu so you can right-click any folder to see how much space just it is taking up

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

WinDirStat is just too funky and fancy for me

Tornado Rex

Start > Right click "Computer" > "Properties" > "Advanced System Settings" > Click "Settings" under "Performance" > "Advanced" tab > Under "Virtual Memory" click "Change" and you can change it to a different drive if you want, lower it, etc. I wouldn't lower it but changing it to a different drive might not be a bad idea.

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-virtual-memory and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

nightmaredemon

when was the last time you did a virus scan in safe mode?

when was the last time you emptied the %temp% file or prefetch file ?

when was last time you did a disc clean?

I take it that your C and D are partions of the same HDD ?

what programs/games/applications are you running when this happens?

Start > Right click "Computer" > "Properties" > "Advanced System Settings" > Click "Settings" under "Performance" > "Advanced" tab > Under "Virtual Memory" click "Change" and you can change it to a different drive if you want, lower it, etc. I wouldn't lower it but changing it to a different drive might not be a bad idea.

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-virtual-memory and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

Guees what?!

NOT RESPONDING...

user posted image

when was the last time you did a virus scan in safe mode?

when was the last time you emptied the %temp% file or prefetch file ?

when was last time you did a disc clean?

I take it that your C and D are partions of the same HDD ?

what programs/games/applications are you running when this happens?

1.Yesterday

2. ...Dont even remember

3.Yesterday

4.Yea

5.Internet i think... But even when i leave it,without any programs on..It's still getting lesser...

EDIT:Treesize crashed too...

Edited by pauliux2

OverTheBelow

Just go download CCleaner and use it to easily clear up any unwanted files. Then you'll atleast have enough harddrive space left so that it doesn't make the OS painstakingly slow to attempt these other fixes.

DU8afL0.jpg

nightmaredemon

CCleaner is a bad idea I have had to fix many peoples computers who have run it and it mess with their machine.

When you did the disc clean did you also remove old restore points?

what browser you using?

your virtial memory is about right could be set to just 3336mb

Remove Treesize program (if it dose not do it go in to the program folder and remove the Treesize program folder and do a search for any other folder/files it might have place on your drive) then do the %temp% and prefetch again and delete everything in there.

then do another Disc clean and ensure every box is ticked.

Did you make sure that your virus scanner was upto date before you ran the scan and that your safe mode was without networking.

have you done any updates of any programs just before this problem started?

have you installed any programs just before this problem started?

to do %temp% and prefetch do the following, press the windows key and R together this brings up the Run box just type each in one at a time.

for a C drive I would normaly say that you have atleast 100Gb not 50Gb with modern operating systems

Finn 7 five 11
CCleaner is a bad idea I have had to fix many peoples computers who have run it and it mess with their machine.

Thats why you people shouldn't let it autoclean and get it to scan and then you manually delete the registry that is safe to delete.

So many people that know so little about computers.

Like someone said above, after you free up some space, get a new HDD and install it, then make everything save into that.

nightmaredemon

Thats why you people shouldn't let it autoclean and get it to scan and then you manually delete the registry that is safe to delete.

So many people that know so little about computers.

Like someone said above, after you free up some space, get a new HDD and install it, then make everything save into that.

unless you know what you are doing with the registry it is always a bad idea to mess with it, so many people put their faith in programs like CCleaner and wonder why things go wrong.

Clearly this is not a simple case of the hdd not having enough space the the comment about just putting in a new hdd wont slove the problem, however a good idea it is to always have a hdd that is acting as a backup drive but again it dose not slove the problem of way the machine is acting in this manner.

If your statement about people knowing so little about computers is about me, I would just like to say that I am a highly qualified IT Manager

OverTheBelow

I think you'll find I suggested him to clean some space from his harddrive using the tool - letting it play with the registry won't do much to contribute towards this. It is fairly difficult to break a computer using the application's primary function, that is the hard-disk cleaner.

DU8afL0.jpg

nightmaredemon

Cleaning some space is a great idea.

However that is not the problem here

ionGeneral

Start -> Computer -> Select Hard Disk| Right click the Hard Disk ->Properties -> General -> Select "Disk Cleanup". It will scan. Then make sure you sick all the boxes in the Cleanup Utility and click on "OK". A prompt box will appear. Click on "Delete Files". smile.gif

To the problem at hand......

Boot into SafeMode and see if you get the errors with the programs you're saying are crashing.

If not then there is something running that's causing the problem, most likely a virus or malware. Scan in SafeMode and clean it out.

Is so then that doesn't mean it's not a virus, it just means it's a seriously nasty virus and you'll have to use a boot disc that will run a virus scan to clean it up.

Off topic, kind of, about CCleaner and the registry.

CCleaner doesn't remove anything that your registry doesn't need to keep things running smoothly. I have seen in the past while running Win98 it was either the registry cleaner the M$ offered or Norton Utilities that cleaned out the registry and it prevented .HLP files opening with the right exe. But things like that are rare. Also keep in mind that CCleaner does offer to let you save the changes that are being made to a .REG file so all you have to do is run that file and everything in it will be put back. I do this all of the time even if the entry is just 1 thing, unless it's a repeating entry that will either not get removed, for whatever reason, or does get removed but comes back when you run the program again (example TeamSpeak3 has a registry line that does this) and those a put on exclude so they don't show up again. And I run CCleaner's registry cleaner until it doesn't return any issues.

Seeing what CCleaner wants to remove from the registry and then manually removing it is actually a bad idea for most people, not that I suggest it for the "experts" either. Because it's very easy to select the wrong thing and removing something that looks similar, or just being in the wrong Key to begin with.

The average person wouldn't know how to get into the registry manually or know what they should and shouldn't be doing once they are in there.

I have seen CCleaner cause some issues, but usually minor, while it's doing the system cleaning. This is usually because it cleans out things like cookies or history from a browser that you didn't want to be removed.

Saw this type of problem a few times. Once a client of my just bought a new laptop with a 500GB HDD, the next day it only has 100MB left.

So what I did was enable hidden files and then started to highlight a few folders at a time, check properties to see which one is eating up all that space. Once I've narrow it down, turns out this single file (don't know where it came from) was consuming 400GB! Deleted that culprit and problem solved.

If it does not delete you can use Malwarebyte File assassin to help you get rid of it.

Start -> Computer -> Select Hard Disk| Right click the Hard Disk ->Properties -> General -> Select "Disk Cleanup". It will scan. Then make sure you sick all the boxes in the Cleanup Utility and click on "OK". A prompt box will appear. Click on "Delete Files". smile.gif

Im doing that EVERYDAY...

To everyone:Thanks for the help,i will try your suggestions smile.gif