2500K/HD6950 Crossfire, doesn't run even 800x600!

Derppy

I can't believe the performance I'm getting with this game. I mean, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm using the Steam version and I'm running it with Intel 2500K, two 2GB HD6950 cards, 4GB of DDR3 ram and it's installed on SSD drive. I got the most recent (11.6) Catalyst drivers and the most recent application profiles.

I couldn't get even 60 average FPS in the benchmark at 800x600, with low settings! (The game defaulted to that for some reason and didn't let me pick other settings without using the -norestrictions flag.) When I tried to run 2560x1440 @ medium/high settings in the actual game, I got something like 20 FPS average.

Another weird problem is that FRAPS is reporting ~5500 FPS in some loading screens and the text "shine" effect is going nuts.

Really disappointed in the performance, since I can run just about anything else at 2560x1440 with high/max settings, sometimes just dropping a few levels of MSAA for smooth 60 FPS.

corvettelover

I can't believe the performance I'm getting with this game. I mean, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm using the Steam version and I'm running it with Intel 2500K, two 2GB HD6950 cards, 4GB of DDR3 ram and it's installed on SSD drive. I got the most recent (11.6) Catalyst drivers and the most recent application profiles.

I couldn't get even 60 average FPS in the benchmark at 800x600, with low settings! (The game defaulted to that for some reason and didn't let me pick other settings without using the -norestrictions flag.) When I tried to run 2560x1440 @ medium/high settings in the actual game, I got something like 20 FPS average.

Another weird problem is that FRAPS is reporting ~5500 FPS in some loading screens and the text "shine" effect is going nuts.

Really disappointed in the performance, since I can run just about anything else at 2560x1440 with high/max settings, sometimes just dropping a few levels of MSAA for smooth 60 FPS.

The benchmark isn't accurate at all, for me it runs slower than the game does while playing.

Did you try overclocking your CPU and/or disabling Crossfire? Although, 25-30FPS is all you really need for this game.

What settings and patch? The new patch(es) are much more demanding than the old ones, try high shadows instead of very high and lower detail and view distance.

What did you get from the benchmarks, all you said was it wasn't 60fps. I'm guessing your CPU is the bottleneck, or Crossfire is screwing the game up.

EDIT: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/...50_9.html#sect1

6950 2GB gets about 30fps at 2650x1600 with latest patch. Thats pretty much all your gonna get. Sorry

Edited by corvettelover

I didn't OC my CPU and I didn't disable Crossfire. I don't believe I'd need to do either of those to play the game.

It's the Steam version, so it's the latest patch. I've tried various settings, but always ended up with less than 60 average FPS and really bad FPS drops. Even with low settings. I want a constant 60 FPS, even if I have to sacrifice a ton of detail. I think the difference between 30 and 60 is huge and I'd much rather play an ugly game that runs perfectly smoothly, than a pretty game that doesn't.

http://www.etechnopedia.com/pc_gaming/saph...benchmarks-3856 - This says you should get 62.5 FPS on 5760x1080, with high settings. That's double the resolution I got. You linked a result for single GPU at 1600p res.

OverTheBelow
I didn't OC my CPU and I didn't disable Crossfire. I don't believe I'd need to do either of those to play the game.

Well, you better believe it. GTA4 will only use 3 cores and usually only one card of your crossfire configuration properly. In some cases, crossfire will deteriorate performance with this game.

The benchmark tool is broken and is in no way a method to signify real-time gameplay. It is pre-scripted, leaving more CPU power from the 3 core limit to feed the GPU's information. Overclocking will almost certainly prove better ingame framerate.

DU8afL0.jpg

YankeesPwnMets

I have a very similar config to yours Deppy, but I have a 2600k. Deppy, if you bought a 2500K, you really should overclock. If you bought a K series processor and you don't plan to OC, you just wasted $25-$30 because the normal 2500 would have been good enough.

For me, I didn't need to disable Crossfire, but that varies from system to system. You should just disable it and try again. It takes one press of a button to disable it and one press to enable again. No need to be stubborn about it.

Another thing: The benchmark isn't accurate. There is no traffic, no pedestrians and there are no reflection effects, which are pretty big performance hogs. I hit 65 FPS in the benchmark but I don't get close to 65 in game. I get 45 in game and in my opinion, if you can run GTA IV at high settings and 40 or so FPS, you should be happy. Your asking for too much. Be lucky that the game even installed and ran on your system, because in some people's machines the game refused to install. You bought thousands of dollars worth of hardware. Use it to run at higher settings. There is absolutely NO POINT in buying expensive hardware and running a game at 1024 x 768 just to hit 60 FPS. Do you see people that run those i7 Extreme and dual GTX 580 systems play games at 1280 x 1024 to get 120 FPS? No, they run it as high as it goes, and 45 should be enough to satisfy the gamer

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Well, seems the game still isn't optimized at all. I don't really fancy playing it, if I have to drop my resolution to 800x600 to get even nearly steady 60 FPS.

Maby it's a personal preference, but I don't know how you guys can sacrifice smoothness for better graphics. If they made high resolution 120hz IPS-panels, I'd use them and drop even more details to have constant 100+ FPS. Sadly, DVI-D limitations only allow 1080p@120hz or 1600p@60hz and monitor manufacturers are afraid to release miniDP-only monitors. For now, 60 FPS is all you can get and it's ok for me, not perfect after you've seen 120FPS, but it's still ok. It doesn't need to be the minimum FPS, I can tolerate some random FPS drops to 30-40 FPS, they are noticeable, but don't really break the immersion yet.

Of course it's nice to have smooth lights and shadows, no aliasing, realistic reflections and really big textures, but I believe those should come in when the game runs smoothly.

But that's pretty offtopic.

I don't OC the processor, because I don't have a third party cooler yet. I bought it (the K-edition) so when it comes to the point where games don't run well enough, I can get a proper cooler and squeeze some more juice out of it. Not really doing it just for GTA 4, since I haven't seen performance issues with any other, even more recent games.

corvettelover
Well, seems the game still isn't optimized at all. I don't really fancy playing it, if I have to drop my resolution to 800x600 to get even nearly steady 60 FPS.

Maby it's a personal preference, but I don't know how you guys can sacrifice smoothness for better graphics. If they made high resolution 120hz IPS-panels, I'd use them and drop even more details to have constant 100+ FPS. Sadly, DVI-D limitations only allow 1080p@120hz or 1600p@60hz and monitor manufacturers are afraid to release miniDP-only monitors. For now, 60 FPS is all you can get and it's ok for me, not perfect after you've seen 120FPS, but it's still ok. It doesn't need to be the minimum FPS, I can tolerate some random FPS drops to 30-40 FPS, they are noticeable, but don't really break the immersion yet.

Of course it's nice to have smooth lights and shadows, no aliasing, realistic reflections and really big textures, but I believe those should come in when the game runs smoothly.

I don't OC the processor, because I don't have a third party cooler yet. I bought it (the K-edition) so when it comes to the point where games don't run well enough, I can get a proper cooler and squeeze some more juice out of it. Not really doing it just for GTA 4, since I haven't seen performance issues with any other, even more recent games.

As far as you don't go crazy with OC'ing the CPU you should be fine, I've overclocked my AMD 64bit 5200+ Dual Core to 3.something GHZ and it was fine, I have my GPU also OC'd to 455MHZ from 333GHZ (mem) and it brought the bandwith from 10GB\s to 15gb\s, so OC'ing does help, my cpu oc gave me around 5-15 fps more in Rigs of Rods (extremely CPU intensive game if you got the right cars loaded) and its very stable, no artifacts or crashing.

If you decide to play IV, try disabling Crossfire and/or oc'ing the CPU as I and others have said before, it should give you much better performance.

OverTheBelow

Hah, in that case I never want to see 120 frames per second on a 120hz monitor! I can only dread the amount of graphical options I'd have to turn off in order to maintain that on newer games. tounge.gif This game is pretty much renowned for being quite unoptimised, but it is definitely not the worst I've seen in the last few years.

I completely agree with you on the subject of framerate. What fps you feel comfortably playing at definitely is personal preference. These days, after getting used to 60fps for so long I am at the point where I would not enjoy a game as much if were at 40fps compared to 60fps. suicidal.gif It annoys me how most people act like there is no difference, but in turn I actually see a world of difference between 30 and 60.

The Sandy Bridge processors are fantastic overclockers, you could probably get it to around 3.6ghz on all 4 cores before it starts getting too hot. Though, 4.5ghz is a much friendlier clockspeed to GTA4 and the processor won't even break a sweat reaching that clockspeed, provided the cooling is sufficient.

DU8afL0.jpg

OverTheBelow

It's not renown, it's notoriety.

The word would mean exactly the same thing only in a different context.

When did you become a grammar nazi? tounge.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

It's sad some have a nice system like 1,000 times better than what I have and they don't know how to

take full advantage of it.

At 800x600 the CPU is doing all the work, your video cards are idle.

A single card can play most of today's game at a high resolution of 1920x1200.

To take advantage of your CFX setup, you need to run it with eyefinity as in 3x 30" LCD monitors.

Edited by Stinky12

I had a similar problem and I thought it was corrected by installing the ATI Display Driver. I was able to set the setting high. But after a reboot of the system or exiting the game I had the same low 800x600 setting. (Same configuration: i5 2500k + 2xHD6950)

So to 'solve' this:

Everytime I install the ATI Display Driver (currently 11.6) (Win7: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pag...win7-32.aspx#2). And do not reboot and just do repair/modify and after that you'll be able to change the setting.

It's a really really bad port and it makes me sad. And I'll definitely will be considering PC reviews before buying. And I will not support a game that's a bad pc port or punishes the honest buyer (= DRM). I really hope they'll step up their game for GTA V. But anyways, hope it was useful!

At the moment it works everytime for me.

Edited by Caryntjen

It's not renown, it's notoriety.

The word would mean exactly the same thing only in a different context.

When did you become a grammar nazi? tounge.gif

A fair knight or a hero has renown, a mass murderer or a rapist has notoriety. One is good, the other is bad, I don't see how could they mean the same thing.

yea you could prolly try disabling crossfire, i run eflc on recomended settings and fraps says i run at about 60fps with just one EVGA GTX 460 1GB SSC+ so you should be able to hit 60fps easy. my proc is only a Athlon II x4 630 2.8ghz

Recomended settings for me:

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: Medium

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4

Night Shadows: Off

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 31

Edited by lnknprkfn