San Andreas Radio Stations Question

T3HM3T4L

Hi there, I'm new here and tried to look around for an answer, but it was hard enough finding a topic about my issue, let alone one about the ps2 version instead of pc.

My question is: I have a guide that I can follow to replace the radio station music tracks to other songs, but can I get rid of the commentary and adverts that play between them? Replacing with blank, short files maybe? I hope someone around here can help me. smile.gif

foxunitone

The radio stations is SA are set up to detect things like time of day, missions passed, weather conditions etc. Your safe bet is to replace SONGS only! In testing, it has been found that using short audio clips (2 to 4 seconds) can cause the files to corrupt and the game to crash. These short clips are fine for ambient loops but not for radio. Testing has also shown that audio clips that are too short or 2 long can cause the game to get confused and have extended periods of "dead air" on the radio as well. Please note that any song you replace will have to be broken into 3 parts. A short intro segment, a large main segment and a short outro segment. That is the way the game reads them. This allows for it to pick an intro to the song based on current conditions as well as the outro. Also note that any audio file above 10.5mb has been known to cause corruption and crashing in tests also. Safest to keep them UNDER 10mb.

In short, you can replace the adverts and commentary with something of similar length, but you cannot get rid of them without corruption. This is speaking strictly on the PC version however. BUT, the programming is not widely different for the PS2. Similar coding means similar restrictions. Keep looking around though, you never know what you may find out. I could be completely wrong when it comes to PS2, but I doubt it. Good luck.

-Fox

The radio stations is SA are set up to detect things like time of day, missions passed, weather conditions etc. Your safe bet is to replace SONGS only! In testing, it has been found that using short audio clips (2 to 4 seconds) can cause the files to corrupt and the game to crash. These short clips are fine for ambient loops but not for radio. Testing has also shown that audio clips that are too short or 2 long can cause the game to get confused and have extended periods of "dead air" on the radio as well. Please note that any song you replace will have to be broken into 3 parts. A short intro segment, a large main segment and a short outro segment. That is the way the game reads them. This allows for it to pick an intro to the song based on current conditions as well as the outro. Also note that any audio file above 10.5mb has been known to cause corruption and crashing in tests also. Safest to keep them UNDER 10mb.

In short, you can replace the adverts and commentary with something of similar length, but you cannot get rid of them without corruption. This is speaking strictly on the PC version however. BUT, the programming is not widely different for the PS2. Similar coding means similar restrictions. Keep looking around though, you never know what you may find out. I could be completely wrong when it comes to PS2, but I doubt it. Good luck.

-Fox

Interesting, thank you for all the info! I was thinking about following this guide I had found: GTA music mod

Maybe you can understand it more clearly due to being in contact with such files, I'll just try it out once I have my ps2 HDD and if anything comes up, I'll return and post some more happy.gif