More Serious or More Humorous?

junkie2115

junkie2115

I'm sorry if there was a topic on this. I didn't see one.

The GTA Series has had some of the most serious stories/Missions. But it's also has had some of the most weirdest and funniest stuff ever.

GTA IV was more serious and it fit with the atmosphere of the game and it's deep story. Then we have GTA:SA which was much more funnier in the sense of characters and just dialog in general. I bet you all know what I mean.

So would you want GTA V to be more on the serious side? or the humorous side?

I would love to see some of the old humor from the old games shine through. I've laughed so hard in San Andreas because of most of the conversations and arguments between CJ and his friends and such. tounge2.gif

I say have the best of both worlds. Have the mix of serious characters and personalities and have the more humorous characters and personalities as well. I would want to see a little more humor in the next Grand Theft Auto then there was in Grand Theft Auto IV, though. On a side note, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, in my opinion, set the standard for humor in the Grand Theft Auto series, to date.

RE9mJnf.png

The Grand Theft Auto franchise has always had a balance between both. A balance is what makes a game enjoyable. A game like Sains Row 2, which was more on the humorous side was great fun, but lacked on the intellectual side. GTA IV has both which then makes players become part of its atmosphere and connect intellectually with its professional storyline, and succeeds as a greatly balanced game.

V-E-R-C-E-T-T-I

The storyline, no matter the location, should be serious. Hard hitting stories that we learn about the characters as the game progresses. Strong dialogue. This would probably mean even more swearing.

But on the radio, TV, activities and people in the street, I think they should make it funny and light hearted. The radio adverts never fail to make me laugh. Like in San Andreas when Lazlow interviewed that Schwarzenneger/Stallone type actor, and it ended up with him shooting someone biggrin.gif Things like that are what make Rockstar so good. They understand the comedy to use and they sure know how to be ridiculous.

I say they should make the story a bit less gritty and more humorous.SA got the balance perfectly if you ask me.if you want more drama,Go watch Grey's anatomy or some sh*t. happy.gif

Serious storyline, dialogue and everything, but radio, billboards, TV, and one or two characters should be funny and humorous.

I'll be honest I would like a funny side, or generally a nice, pleasant atmosphere with it's gritty moments that involving killing, being kidnapped and tortured. I would like to have a good laugh again though in a GTA game, the funniest one I thought was San Andreas, OG LOC was funny as was Big smoke but in the end Smoke was a traitor and the situation was quite seriouse.

I like the black/dark comedy that the story contains in the characters and situations, whilst the media portrayed in the game is a hilarious, over-exaggerated and whacky.

I want it like San Andreas with more realism(fun). NOT like Saints Row which seems to feel like it has been produced for people who are below the age of 12.

Vercetti27

serious . I think GTA into an accurate crime/action game but retain its sense of humour and the vast array of side missions as well as parachutes, but it should have a strong story that feels like a film (like GTA4)

_GTAFREAK_

Well... if the story is going to have a humorous side, then we wouldn't take it very seriously. My bet is: create a story that makes us feel some hard emotions by following it as we complete the game, but for that, the story would have to be so great that we could identify ourselves on that story... it has to be good!!

Let the humorous part for the playing experience... like in San Andreas we had the opportunity to hear those comments that the pedestrians used to say to CJ about his awful clothes, or even his smell!! lol.gif THAT is some heavy humor...

Darkconnor55

I think we've found a good balance with GTA IV.I enjoy its kinda humor alot rather than saints rows slapstick humor.

TenEightyOne
SA got the balance perfectly if you ask me.

Exactly this.

"Weddings and Welding - Because they sound similar"

"Paradise Tools - Everything for a Hire Purpose"

Genius! I used to laugh out loud at all kinds of things in SA. I still go back there now. Liberty City just didn't seem to even try...

I think IV got the balance right, but I wouldn't mind a few more characters like Yusif Amir to make the story a bit more humorous...

Personally, Humorous. I want it to be fun to play, pretty tongue-in-cheek, and just entertaining.

Going too serious takes some of the fun out, and in some ways makes me take less interest in the story, making me hate the people I'm "supposed" to like, and like the people I'me "supposed" to hate.

Kwandilibro

Both.

While I appreciate the more serious tone to IV, there needs to be a little more humor than that (although there was still plenty). I'm not asking for random plane crashes or the ability to beat people to death with a dildo (or a bouquet of flowers), but the game needs to lighten up. Also, I cannot understand the point of removing so many cheats for the sake of realism, since nobody was forcing you to use them.

Nothing like SR though.

Harwood Butch3r

Are we talking about the story, or the game play itself? In terms of the story I really liked GTA IV's approach. It was generally a serious story, but it still managed to squeeze in some comic relief.

I still think GTA III has the most serious story of them all. Not a single cut scene made me laugh. Its only humour came from outside media IMO.

As for gameplay I do agree with Kwandilibro. The game should lighten up. A few "crazy" cheats wouldn't really hurt. I mean I rarely use cheats, but I don't see any harm in adding them for the people who like to use them.

I can't think of any good reason why there was such an abundance of cheats in GTA IV other than for realism.

there are many threads about this but i'll still discuss. Its a hard question really, if you put iin too much silliness into a serious game it will become a mess. I think they should do it like GTA 4 with some more silliness and cazy missions.

Kwandilibro

One thing I will be glad to see the end of is these "drive here, kill x" missions. Complex story or not, there's no reason to do nothing but drive and shoot people, even if that is the essence of GTA.

Harwood Butch3r
One thing I will be glad to see the end of is these "drive here, kill x" missions. Complex story or not, there's no reason to do nothing but drive and shoot people, even if that is the essence of GTA.

I wouldn't be holding my breath. Those kind of missions make up a large majority of GTA missions (Yes SA included) and always have. They'll always be there and in way it doesn't bother me. It makes the "crazy" out of the normal missions a lot more significant.

Racecarlock
Are we talking about the story, or the game play itself? In terms of the story I really liked GTA IV's approach. It was generally a serious story, but it still managed to squeeze in some comic relief.

I still think GTA III has the most serious story of them all. Not a single cut scene made me laugh. Its only humour came from outside media IMO.

As for gameplay I do agree with Kwandilibro. The game should lighten up. A few "crazy" cheats wouldn't really hurt. I mean I rarely use cheats, but I don't see any harm in adding them for the people who like to use them.

I can't think of any good reason why there was such an abundance of cheats in GTA IV other than for realism.

I think you mixed up some words here. Abundance usually means a large amount of something. I think the word you're looking for is "Scarcity" which means a small amount of. I do want more cheats though. Also, SEPARATE THE DAMN WEATHER CHEATS! It's more convenient selecting sunny or very sunny from a menu instead of cycling through several weather types just to get to the one I want. Also, no more visable cheating consequences. Why should it change the weather to rain every 5 minutes just because I used the health cheat once? It kind of takes away from the fun of cheating if you know the game's punishing you for it. Especially since cheating is more fun if you don't get caught.

Harwood Butch3r

I think you mixed up some words here. Abundance usually means a large amount of something. I think the word you're looking for is "Scarcity" which means a small amount of. I do want more cheats though. Also, SEPARATE THE DAMN WEATHER CHEATS! It's more convenient selecting sunny or very sunny from a menu instead of cycling through several weather types just to get to the one I want. Also, no more visable cheating consequences. Why should it change the weather to rain every 5 minutes just because I used the health cheat once? It kind of takes away from the fun of cheating if you know the game's punishing you for it. Especially since cheating is more fun if you don't get caught.

Ah yes you're right. My mistake.

Kwandilibro

I wouldn't be holding my breath. Those kind of missions make up a large majority of GTA missions (Yes SA included) and always have. They'll always be there and in way it doesn't bother me. It makes the "crazy" out of the normal missions a lot more significant.

Well, I mean, it just felt like there were too many. I guess it fit the storyline though, since Niko was a hitman.

Harwood Butch3r

Well, I mean, it just felt like there were too many. I guess it fit the storyline though, since Niko was a hitman.

Yeah I would say so. It all depends on what direction GTA V's story takes. If it's similar to GTA IV's/TLAD's I can see a similar style mission structure. If it's more relaxed like TBOGT the missions will probably be more over the top.

In saying that as much as people don't like "drive here, shoot x number of guys, escape" missions all the time I think the same can be applied in reverse. I wouldn't like too many over the top missions.

This is one of the reasons I generally find the missions in the Saints Row games forgettable. Way too many over the top missions.

Perhaps GTA IV did get a bit carried away with the typical "drive here, kill" missions, but they also further highlighted the more "uncommon" missions like Three Leaf Clover. There needs to be a good balance IMO.

One of the reasons I generally like GTA missions is they start on the small side and slowly work themselves up. There's no secret the start of GTA IV isn't much to be excited about, but as the game goes on even the typical going to a location to kill a heap of bad guys gets more interesting. With the way the story was set out I don't even think TBOGT style missions would've suited it very well.

It's all about finding the right balance and making sure it fits in. Could anyone actually see Niko parachuting out of a chopper while landing on a cruise ship full of Russian gangsters and stealing some high piece military equipment (Laser, chip etc) and escaping on a hover craft, or something? Sure it would be awesomely fun, but it wouldn't fit in with the general tone.

I'm hoping GTA V does lighten up to VC kind of levels at least. Where you can have a semi-serious story, but still have some fun doing things you wouldn't normally do.

Edited by Miamivicecity

Long_Haired_Boy

Well Saints Row is on the old GTA swag so I say realistic.