What movies will become classics?

Rucke

I don't know about you but to me it feels like none of the movies that comes out these days will be considered as classics 20 to 30 years from now. I mean when the Godfather came out for example people knew that it was going to be something you watched probably 50 years later because of the attention to detail and the artistic quality.

I don't feel like any of the movies that comes out today can live up to that. Don't get me wrong, I often enjoy new movies more than old but most of them feels too superficial to be considered as classics later on.

So you got any ideas on what movies that comes out now could go on to be classics?

user posted image

I think that 'There Will Be Blood' is nothing short of fantastic and will be remembered years to come.

Mister Pink

I think future children and adults alike will still enjoy the Toy Story series. I reckon it will be around for a long time to come. I agree with Pandazoot about There Will Be Blood.

The Departed and City Of God will stand the test time I think.

Rock N Rolla I thought was a classic or will be regarded as one.

The Departed.

Scorsese's last couple of flicks have been pretty cookie-cutter, for him at least. When you compare them to, say, Taxi Driver both Shutter Island and The Departed look like they're little more than a walk in the park with the nice summer breeze blowing for Marty. That's not to say they're bad, not at all, but there were a great deal of better flicks in the double-0s. I think The Departed will probably get stamped as a classic down the line, but it hardly deserves it.

I could see some of the Coen Bros' flicks being regarded as classics, especially No Country for Old Men. LotR, not that I care for that series, will probably be remembered as the epic(s) of that decade.

Yq5y51Y.png

Perhaps I stand alone on this one, but Office Space gets me laughing every time. My film collection isn't big at all, but in the future I've no doubt that I'll own this on dvd and it'll become my go-to movie for comedy.

Finn 7 five 11
Rock N Rolla I thought was a classic or will be regarded as one.

The Departed.

I loved rock n rolla, but it didn't seem to be very popular for some reason.

The shawshank redemption and the green mile, they will be around for a long time, but they are already classic-ish.

I think the new Batman films will age well.

Disturbia will probably stay around as a popular thriller.

PS i love you?

Love Actually.

No country for old men

True Grit

Spirited away (animation)

Big Fish

Pirates of the Caribbean!

Yes Man!

---------------------------------------------------------

These are all movies while some are not so popular, that anyone who has seen has enjoyed and the story won't ever seem really cheesy or boring.

I wanted to add Harold and Kumar go to white castle, but i think many would argue, i think it is one of the more clever movies about nothing, with many subtle jokes and facials, that you notice after watching it a few times.

ChossenOne

I'm sorry man, but Yes Man is NOT a classic anything. Neither is Disturbia.

LOTR, The Nolan Batman films, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were the first movies that came to mind. Anchorman might be remembered as the best comedy of the decade. Sin City and AI were great, too.

user posted image

Anchorman might be remembered as the best comedy of the decade.

I thought it was awful and not funny at all. I don't see why everyone loves it so much. Will Ferrell is terrible. Office Space, however, rocked my socks off.

Yq5y51Y.png

Anchorman might be remembered as the best comedy of the decade.

I thought it was awful and not funny at all. I don't see why everyone loves it so much. Will Ferrell is terrible. Office Space, however, rocked my socks off.

WTF are you?!

Kidding I also agree, anchorman I thought was good but very overated. I must watch this Office space, maybe tonight.

Dry humor is never showcased as well as Office Space. I still have the Geto Boys song on my harddrive - everytime I feel like breaking something I play it and imagine what could be.

kzgN7qp.png

Adam Jensen

Lord of the Rings is already a classic, so is The Matrix. Nolan Batman movies probably, No country for old men, maybe The Departed, but not really a cult classic. First Pirates of the Caribbean. And it would be even better if it wasn't plagued by those retarded sequels.

And one ridiculous movie I'd like to see in classics section: Crank!

Dry humor is never showcased as well as Office Space. I still have the Geto Boys song on my harddrive - everytime I feel like breaking something I play it and imagine what could be.

Has got to be one of the funniest facial expressions in the history of cinema:

user posted image

This still image doesn't quite do it justice.

I've always liked Will Ferrell from his SNL days, but a majority of his big films - Talladega Nights, Old School, Anchorman, etc. - are not very good. They have some OK scenes here and there, but as a whole, they're nothing more than cannon fodder.

However, I thought Zoolander was pretty damn good.

Finn 7 five 11
I'm sorry man, but Yes Man is NOT a classic anything. Neither is Disturbia.

LOTR, The Nolan Batman films, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were the first movies that came to mind. Anchorman might be remembered as the best comedy of the decade. Sin City and AI were great, too.

Your right, but i will always like them, had to throw in a few personal favourites.

Vanilla Shake

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight will no doubt be regarded as classics. Hopefully The Dark Knight Rises will be good enough to be considered a classic in the future as well.

Other films that come to mind: The Prestige, Memento, Inception, Zodiac, Star Trek (2009), The Big Lebowski/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/Office Space/Superbad (for comedies), The Departed/Shutter Island (yes, Scorsese's made better films, but these are still fantastic), No Country for Old Men, American Psycho, The Fighter, etc.

Just films that could wind up getting that that classic status in my opinion.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

BondTrader
I think future children and adults alike will still enjoy the Toy Story series. I reckon it will be around for a long time to come. I agree with Pandazoot about There Will Be Blood.

Agree, both were so f*cking great.

My opinion, I think Inglorious Basterds was a great movie as well as "No Country for Old Men" (Already stated)

The King's Speech was great, the Black Swan (haven't seen all of it yet but people say it is one of the "Best Movies of the Decade")

ChossenOne

Agree, both were so f*cking great.

My opinion, I think Inglorious Basterds was a great movie as well as "No Country for Old Men" (Already stated)

The King's Speech was great, the Black Swan (haven't seen all of it yet but people say it is one of the "Best Movies of the Decade")

I have only just recently seen Black Swan and I thought it sucked. I certainly won't regard it as a "classic" years from now.

user posted image

Don Garcia

So many choices.

At the moment, I'd say Children of Men. Amazingly well-made; a beautiful film.

PqF05jQ.jpg

Adam Jensen

Is Fight Club already considered a classic? If not then it should be.

Adam Jensen

Titanic, The Godfather.

JESUS F*CKIN' CHRIST

ClaudeSpeedIV

Has got to be one of the funniest facial expressions in the history of cinema:

user posted image

This still image doesn't quite do it justice.

I've always liked Will Ferrell from his SNL days, but a majority of his big films - Talladega Nights, Old School, Anchorman, etc. - are not very good. They have some OK scenes here and there, but as a whole, they're nothing more than cannon fodder.

However, I thought Zoolander was pretty damn good.

user posted image

ClaudeSpeedIV

The Matrix series, been re-watching them recently on amc

user posted image

You're right, I think Matrix trilogy will become classics like the Godfather trilogy, 1st the best, 2nd second and 3rd least good.

You're right, I think Matrix trilogy will become classics like the Godfather trilogy, 1st the best, 2nd second and 3rd least good.

Strangely you could almost say that about The Godfather trilogy but the 2nd one takes the lead for me personally.

OT: I have a pretty thorough list in mind, I'll try to pop back in here when I have a bit more time to fill it out.

Floro Solo

I like to think of How I met your Mother as the Friends of the 21st century (even though Friends ran till 2003). I'm sure that HIMYM doesn't have the huge fanbase as Friends but it's an opinion.

Finn 7 five 11

I like to think of How I met your Mother as the Friends of the 21st century (even though Friends ran till 2003). I'm sure that HIMYM doesn't have the huge fanbase as Friends but it's an opinion.

Hmm, i dunno How i Met your mother is up there, i must say how i met your mother is a lot better than friends, HIMYM reminds me more of seinfeld, in the way that the plot has these crazy coincidences.

But really, it is not much like either of the shows.

What's the cut off date for a classic? I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but I have a tough time liking movies that have been put out in the last couple of years to say they're going to be classics. So i guess just trying to keep it post 2000...

The Jackass Series -- Especially with the recent death of Ryan Dunn one has to wonder how many more productions they're really get, and then realize that this is probably our modern take on The Three Stooges when it comes to classics.

The Lord of the Ring Trilogy -- This is the only "remake" I'll mention, but man... Look at how much of a classic the novels themselves are, and then on top of that "The Hobbit" animated video... So many people went to see them though, I'm pretty sure they're going to be regarded well.

The Matrix (maybe the trilogy) -- I think "The Matrix" was after 2000... Whatever, close enough. I do think the second ones were kind of weak though, so maybe just the first one.

The Dark Knight -- Yeah, it pains me to admit it... I mean I liked it and all, but going by the "how many jerk offs talk about it" rule of thumb, you know that one is going to have staying power.

Take a pick from the many Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks animate movies. My favorite is probably Wall-E

Idiocracy -- I think this one will probably wind up being a "cult classic"... There's a lot of people that have seen and it think it's funny, but it just isn't raved about, but I bet in ten or so years there will be some niche group of people that see it as like, the ultimate representation of that generation.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time even remembering which movies came out after 2000

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!