HDMI Help

boyben

Okay, So, I have a 1080p TV, And I bought two HDMI cord's (One for both console) and the funny thing is when I'm not playing a game everything is on 1080p (On every console) but when it get's down to playing a game it only display's it in 720p on 1080p capable game's.

Could anyone tell me how to be able to play the game's in 1080p? confused.gif

Finn 7 five 11
Okay, So, I have a 1080p TV, And I bought two HDMI cord's (One for both console) and the funny thing is when I'm not playing a game everything is on 1080p (On every console) but when it get's down to playing a game it only display's it in 720p on 1080p capable game's.

Could anyone tell me how to be able to play the game's in 1080p? confused.gif

It should be in display options, but the tv will probably display the game in it's native resolution, so if it's been up-scaled to 1080p from 720p the tv will bring it back down anyway.

What games specifically?

Well, I tried GTA IV, L.A. Noire and Crysis 2.

Finn 7 five 11

Well GTA IV for PS3 is only 640p upscaled to 720p, the XBox's is 720p.

La Noire's native res is also 720p, and crysis is 1280 x 720 for xbox and 1024 x 720 for ps3.

So that explains the 720p resolution, does it say on the back of the games they are 1080p capable? Because if they are you can go to display options and uncheck the 720p box and check the 1080p upscaling box.

La Noire's native res is also 720p, and crysis is 1280 x 720 for xbox and 1024 x 720 for ps3.

So that explains the 720p resolution, does it say on the back of the games they are 1080p capable? Because if they are you can go to display options and uncheck the 720p box and check the 1080p upscaling box.

Yes they do and I was just playing around with the Display setting's on PS3 and saw that you can do that. Thank you! cookie.gif

Finn 7 five 11

Yes they do and I was just playing around with the Display setting's on PS3 and saw that you can do that. Thank you! cookie.gif

Great, i am very glad i could help, happy gaming.

The vast majority of console games are incapable of 1080p as the consoles themselves can barely handle the strain of running the games at the mid-level settings they use, let alone a higher resolution than 720p.

The vast majority of console games are incapable of 1080p as the consoles themselves can barely handle the strain of running the games at the mid-level settings they use, let alone a higher resolution than 720p.

I wonder how Rage is even going to run.

• 2 weeks later...

I noted a similar issue, with regard to Microsoft's Xbox 360 with HDMI added output, that? My issue was it worked when I got it, and then Red Ring of Death came a creeping, I had switched back to an old one, but I finally had more then one LCD with HD compliance so the TV is not an issue. I am also referring to RDR which works in 1080P using component but using the HDMI instead, I get 720P and IIRC, 1080interlace (i)

Or the high 1080P is not able to be selected but you can see the options blotted out in the menu. I find that strange. AND, yes, it's me ...back again, but have no fear. (old ways are curtailed)

TenEightyOne

If you have a pre-HDMI-output XBox then you don't see all the HDMI options when you add install a 3rd party HDMI socket (such as the MadCatz device).

This shouldn't stop you using 1080p though.

Here's how to get the best output (always a P setting);

Set your XBox to the highest resolution available (presuming your TV supports that). This has no performance hit on the game speed/frame rate because any required upscaling is done 'for free' by a separate part of the console.

Turn of post-processing on your TV. This is often called "Sharpening", check out your TV's manual for a full explanation of the 'helpful' features. This stuff works great on digital TV signals... but your console's output is ready-to-view without your TV having to do anything extra.

Very often I find that 'jaggies' are caused by the TV sharpening smooth edges, the effect is more noticeable on a console output because generally the number of colours available to sense is much lower.

If you have a pre-HDMI-output XBox then you don't see all the HDMI options when you add install a 3rd party HDMI socket (such as the MadCatz device).

This shouldn't stop you using 1080p though.

Here's how to get the best output (always a P setting);

Set your XBox to the highest resolution available (presuming your TV supports that). This has no performance hit on the game speed/frame rate because any required upscaling is done 'for free' by a separate part of the console.

Turn of post-processing on your TV. This is often called "Sharpening", check out your TV's manual for a full explanation of the 'helpful' features. This stuff works great on digital TV signals... but your console's output is ready-to-view without your TV having to do anything extra.

Very often I find that 'jaggies' are caused by the TV sharpening smooth edges, the effect is more noticeable on a console output because generally the number of colours available to sense is much lower.

When you say "jaggies" do you mean there is a frame rate lag? Because I have that issue with Mafia II.

Jaggies are the sharper outlines visible on digital curves / pixels, pels, etc., generally speaking, it's where Anti-aliasing comes into play, if you prefer smoothing things out artificially

Finn 7 five 11
Jaggies are the sharper outlines visible on digital curves / pixels, pels, etc., generally speaking, it's where Anti-aliasing comes into play, if you prefer smoothing things out artificially

I was wondering, with uncharted for example, i noticed when a friend was playing and there was a cut scene, there were the white lines around the borders of characters eyes and mouth, is this a result of the smoothing?

I bought that game first, for my PS3 way back then, I looked at the graphics rather closely, and I think I recall that (BTW, I kept the game, but sold the system some time ago) and I chalk it up to how they mate the graphical elements because unlike drawn art, the things like mouth, hair, skin textures are in a way, layered and intended to look integrated, but there's always some flaw that shows the shortcomings of the tech still present

Finn 7 five 11
I bought that game first, for my PS3 way back then, I looked at the graphics rather closely, and I think I recall that (BTW, I kept the game, but sold the system some time ago) and I chalk it up to how they mate the graphical elements because unlike drawn art, the things like mouth, hair, skin textures are in a way, layered and intended to look integrated, but there's always some flaw that shows the shortcomings of the tech still present

Yeah, that sounds like a plausible theory, i think it happens at times in GTA IV as well, it seems to have been fixed in Uncharted 2 though, good to see progress on minor details is being made.

If you look on YouTube, you can see the bonus Making Of Uncharted that they thought to include with the game, and I really liked that, but Rockstar never does anything similar because their creation is like FORT KNOX levels of security!

I wouldn't call the showing of white as Jaggies or an issue with smoothing overall resolution, as the jagged edges are easier to define in terms of computer text and how it differs in appearance from standard print, that's the same effect. If you were to compare Dot Matrix printouts to those of a Laser Printer, the effect of creating natural looking text on paper is the same to graphics computer generating in the games

Finn 7 five 11
If you look on YouTube, you can see the bonus Making Of Uncharted that they thought to include with the game, and I really liked that, but Rockstar never does anything similar because their creation is like FORT KNOX levels of security!

I wouldn't call the showing of white as Jaggies or an issue with smoothing overall resolution, as the jagged edges are easier to define in terms of computer text and how it differs in appearance from standard print, that's the same effect. If you were to compare Dot Matrix printouts to those of a Laser Printer, the effect of creating natural looking text on paper is the same to graphics computer generating in the games

The bonus making came with my copy of the game, it was interesting watch after i finished the game, i really liked how all the staff seemed to get along, and it was a pretty laid back atmosphere, the director is a female as well, i thought that was pretty cool, probably helps keep the female script believable haha.

Yep, the staff there at Naughty Dog worked with the California staff of Sony, so there was some joint teams that crafted the complete game