Will GTA V Engine Compete?

Long_Haired_Boy

Long_Haired_Boy

We all know Since its coming close to the end of this console generation and with all these next-gen gaming engines coming out. Do you guys think Rockstar North will have a next-gen engine that can rival with other companies engines such as CryEngine 3, Frostbite 2 engine, Unreal Engine 3 and Kojami's Octave Engine?

We all know they will have RAGE engine upgraded, but how big of a jump will it be?

Rockstar Leeds is currently developing the Microsoft Windows version of L.A. Noire.

Rockstar Lincoln is Quality assurance.

Rockstar London last game was Midnight Club LA, what could they now be working on?

Rockstar New England is not currently porting any games.

Rockstar North is currently working on Agent and GTA V

Rockstar San Diego finished up last year with RDR. (could they be upgrading RAGE engine, RDR engine with animal was beast)

Rockstar Toronto was job was porting previous game to the PC.

Rockstar Vancouver is working hard on Max Payne 3.

Upgrading GTA V to make it such a leap like they did with GTA 3 -----> GTA 4.

They might explain the length in time its taking. They are currently upgrading the engine again for MP3, do you guys also think that will be the closest of a preview of how combat for GTA V will play?

No, it wont happend in this life...they have everything confortably working for RAGE...they wont change in the next 5 years

proofs? III,SA,VC?(same engine)

Long_Haired_Boy

Deadly Target Have you gone MAD!!?

Im sorry but if that were true then there would be much shorter game development cycles, prime example COD.

Nah Tso Gud

By the time GTA 5 is out, sure they'll have a new engine... But this more than likely wont be 5, it'll prolly be another GTA 4 generation game.. so the comparison for the next installment should be between GTA 3 and VC since that was the second in the GTA 3 era... Buuuut then I spose you need to take into account that there were 2 expansions, and RDR which no doubt gave them another game to tweak the engine with... Which is a good thing....

If R* could just tighten up a few things I think it would still work just fine.. it may not be equivalent to those other engines, but on the other hand they aren't putting out this type/genre of game either.

Edited by Nah Tso Gud

Im sorry but if that were true then there would be much shorter game development cycles, prime example COD.

Eh? Most of the development time comes from creating all the art assets.

Rockstar's current engine already rivals those other engines you've listed. confused.gif

Lets not get crazy lol.

Eh? Most of the development time comes from creating all the art assets.

Specially in a game like GTA, where they have to make a big detailed city, many cars, pedestrians and stuff.

Yl8KS.jpg

CryptReaperDorian

Yeah, I think he's gone mad. He probably never took a look at Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3. I'd say that both CryEngine 3 and Frostbite 2.0 can make sandbox games that look and run far better than anything RAGE can do. RAGE became outdated not much after GTA IV was released, but large improvements can still be done with it before R* ditches it.

CryEngine 3 (2011)

user posted image

user posted image

RAGE Engine (2008)

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Deadly Target

Narcis_speed6
You don't have to post this huge pictures, link them instead.

That's a ENB GTAIV show a modded Crysis1/2 if you're using that.

Or if you want to make things more even compare the PS3/360 version of both games since they would be running on tech with equal specs and no mods.

Edited by Gregers08

That's a ENB GTAIV show a modded Crysis1/2 if you're using that.

Or if you want to make things more even compare the PS3/360 version of both games since they would be running on tech with equal specs and no mods.

I'm simply showing what the RAGE Engine was capable of in early '08. As for modded Crysis 2 screenshots, I haven't found any... I believe that's the best it can look at the moment.

Anyway, I'm not saying RAGE is better than every engine out there - I'm just saying it's not as bad as you guys are making it. It should last another 3-5 years.

Edited by Deadly Target

Long_Haired_Boy

And what make RAGE engine beast is Europhia if you ask me.

And what make RAGE engine beast is Europhia if you ask me.

But Euphoria is not the engine itself. Euphoria can be added to any other engine.

Yl8KS.jpg

But Euphoria is not the engine itself. Euphoria can be added to any other engine.

You and I know this, but bear in mind you're posting on a forum where I was once forced to add a giant, epilepsy inducing banner stating that VC and VCS didn't use the same engine because people were convinced the inclusion of palm trees in both somehow proved otherwise. tounge.gif

Long_Haired_Boy

Yeah I know, But do you know what RAGE engine consist of?

What makes it the choice of Rockstar games beside the fact they created it?

(Edit)

Since you clearly didnt understand the question as well as your brilliancy for answering them. confused.gif

I assume RAGE is better at streaming landscapes and has a dynamic lighting system then prior game engines. We just got a see what upgrades MP3 will have that may incorporated to GTA V.

Edited by Long_Haired_Boy

Yeah I know, But do you know what RAGE engine consist of? What makes it the choice of Rockstar games?

That has no sense. They made it, that's why they use it.

Yl8KS.jpg

What makes it the choice of Rockstar games?

Rockstar games?

Rockstar

Rockstar's

Advanced

Game

Engine.

They are obviously gonna use the engine they created themselves.

EDIT: Dammit. goin-god beat me to beat the sense out of him. Really wanted to make him look stupid. He's not stupid, just no common sense.

Long_Haired_Boy

So I take it as a you dont have a clue, ok.

So I take it as a you dont have a clue, ok.

Ok, go back and read your own posts.

The RAGE uses Euphoria which can be used on any engines really and the Bullet physics engine.

Doh!

Long_Haired_Boy

Clearly, but what are you telling me besides your gender?

On Topic. I hope that MP3 features will be carried over to GTA V. Like the weapon system and fighting system.

Clearly, but what are you telling me besides your gender?

Now this made me laugh because it did not make any sense. Can't believe you're 30.

Rockstar will probably use the same RAGE from IV. Look what it did in Red Dead Redemption with just some nifty improvements.

Rockstar can learn a lot from Valve. Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress and Half Life were all made on the Source Engine made by Valve.

Shayan Shaffey

I thing they will make a new engine, because they change the engine every time they start a new era. For example the III era used the same engine and then IV used a new one, so I think that they will start a new one.

BTW I am new here. colgate.gif

user posted image

TenEightyOne

It's clear that some people don't really understand what "the engine" actually is... in fairness it's clear that others do of course.

Using PC renders to demonstrate the 'base' capabilities of a rendering engine, for example, is flawed. PCs use post-app processing on GFX cards to perform extra shading, AAing and so on that isn't part of the inital application output. A console is therefore a good way to see the output potential of a graphics engine (or render engine).

As already pointed out the "engine" in GTAIV actually consists of a number of engines running in parallel; the projectile physics engine, the vehicle physics engine, the render engine, the Euphoria body-physics engine.

Will GTA:Next have a new engine? Well, it certainly won't have identical engines to GTAIV. There are bound to have been improvements to the code to improve processing performance, there are bound to have been hacks or changes to fit whatever the requirements of the new maps/features are and there are bound to have been tweaks to improve the overall communication between the separate application threads.

Does a change make it a new engine? There's no hard-and-fast system for numbering software updates... if the programmers pick a new number for their engine then we'll think it's "New", that's a very abitrary concept.

In conclusion, GTA:Next will have an spread of engines that are highly likely to differ substantially from those in GTAIV, partly because of improvements and partly because of alterations required to suit particular changes or features in the new game.

You guys really that stupid?

The V engine will most probably be RAGE2, yes. Do you really think, that in todays age, they are going to release another title to the GTA pack using the same engine as IV?

Rockstar know fully well that would be a bad choice, RAGE with the 360 was new to rockstar, thats why IV had so many problems.

I can guarentee we wont even recognise the new engine, they have spent years developing this title which just adds to the fact: The engine will be completely transformed.

Red Dead Redemption uses RAGE, but there was a ton of changes made to the engine. Red Dead Redemption and IV don't compete, because Red Dead Redemption is performs flawlessly, whereas GTA doesn't.

Xbox360

You guys really that stupid?

The V engine will most probably be RAGE2, yes. Do you really think, that in todays age, they are going to release another title to the GTA pack using the same engine as IV?

Rockstar know fully well that would be a bad choice, RAGE with the 360 was new to rockstar, thats why IV had so many problems.

I can guarentee we wont even recognise the new engine, they have spent years developing this title which just adds to the fact: The engine will be completely transformed.

Red Dead Redemption uses RAGE, but there was a ton of changes made to the engine. Red Dead Redemption and IV don't compete, because Red Dead Redemption is performs flawlessly, whereas GTA doesn't.

Xbox360

They probably will still use rage, they invested too much time into making the engine to just throw it away after 4 or 5 games. Valve still uses source even though its almost 10 years old some games still use UE2.

RAGE is always a work in progress and the improvements between GTA IV and RDR show that. Rockstar San Diego's RAGE Technology Group works on the engine for all Rockstar games and worked with Team Bondi on L.A. Noire (though apparently that engine is not RAGE and unnamed). They learn more as they solve new problems so the next GTA should use the best version of RAGE yet.

A big reason for having an in-house engine is cost and control. Using another company's engine causes problems when that company is bought out or changes their focus. EA bought Renderware in July, 2004. GTA San Andreas was using it and was almost done, and Bully must have been far enough along in development that Rockstar decided to keep using it for the PS2 version that came out in October 2006, but all later versions of Bully: Scholarship Edition use Gamebryo. Renderware tools for PSP development were announced only months before EA bought it, so Rockstar didn't use Renderware for PSP games but did something in-house.

A bunch of hassle for no reason except EA. That's why Rockstar will stick with RAGE, or buy or invent something better, rather than use somebody else's engine.

• 3 months later...