Video editor help

A11

Whenever I render videos, the results are always choppy, below 30 fps, and generally unpleasant to watch.

Is there any way to increase the fps without rendering in an even slower setting and speeding it up post-production?

I'd also like to know:

1. Is there anyway to render videos in a different format? WMV is a joke.

2. Is it possible to set the render speeds to something other than 5, 15, 30, 45 etc?

Specs just in case:

XFX ATI 5970

I7-950@ 3.8Ghz

In which format are you rendering in? 720p and 1080p should produce smooth videos, even if the captured clips have low fps. Also, which program are you using to playback rendered videos?

1. You can only render videos in WMV.

2. Those speeds (in addition to 200 and 300) are the only ones available.

You can just use Fraps, and be able to set the fps you want, plus you can then convert the Videos to whatever format you want.(I use Fraps to record, then I use Windows Live Movie Maker to edit and convert them-with Windows Live movie maker you can convert to 720p and 1080p.) This is the best way I have found to record and edit game footage. Plus, the best part, is Fraps gives you unlimited record time...(the ONLY limitation is your Hard Drive size). Just a heads up. I'm surprised no one has figured that one out yet. lol.giftounge2.gif

FRAPS is nothing compared to the in-game video editor. All it does is record what the eye sees.

FRAPS is nothing compared to the in-game video editor. All it does is record what the eye sees.

Yeah, but...you CAN EDIT the Videos with an external program like Windows Movie Maker(OR Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7)....and you can save them in HD format(if your Video card and monitor allow)...Plus, you can use a program like Replay Converter to convert the videos(s) to ANY format you want...

I render in 1080p. It's not a playback issue, so the software is irrelevant. I guess I'll just have to make clips in the editor and play them while recording with fraps. This method gives better video quality, but it seems to have graphical glitches, among other anomalies.

As good as the editor is, I'm not surprised by the lack of functionality given this games complete lack of optimization.

Thanks for advice everyone.

Yeah, but...you CAN EDIT the Videos with an external program like Windows Movie Maker(OR Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7)....and you can save them in HD format(if your Video card and monitor allow)...Plus, you can use a program like Replay Converter to convert the videos(s) to ANY format you want...

Yes, but you CAN'T pan/zoom/control the camera in the way that the VIDEO EDITOR can. Do you not get my point?

OT: That's a good idea OP. I recommend using Virtual Dub to convert the huge FRAPS file.

Yes, but you CAN'T pan/zoom/control the camera in the way that the VIDEO EDITOR can. Do you not get my point?

Yes you CAN...Windows Live Movie Maker(comes pre-installed with Windows 7 and as an optional upgrade for Vista and XP), you have those options and a whole lot more....So, just use Fraps to record(you get unlimited record time compared to the 30 seconds or less that the in-game one has-every video I record that way is only like 20-45 seconds max-while with Fraps it records until I hit FN+F9 again to stop the recording...)...Just a friendly heads up... tounge2.gif Another major point, is Fraps records at A LOT better quality than the in-game recorder does AND the best part, is Fraps uses less computer resources to do it as well...When using the in-game recorder, the fps in game goes down to around 20, but with fraps, it stays where it should-it drops about 5-7fps while recording, but not the 40+ drop like the in-game version does...and I have an higher end PC, with around an avg. 62 fps...

I get an avg. of 62fps with the game.

2011-04-28 05:18:48 - gta_IV

Frames: 3512 - Time: 56020ms - Avg: 62.692 - Min: 36 - Max: 90

This is with: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core I5 Quad Core(4 cpu's) @ 2.27GHZ with upto 2.93GHZ w/Turbo Boost

6GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon 5470 AND Intel HD w/512MB Dedicated VRAM and up to 3223MB total vram(2 cards with Switchable Graphics)

IDT HD Audio(Beats Audio)

Original game version-NO Patches. Only thing that has been updated was Social Club app.

This is on High settings.

Fraps was used for Bench mark-by pressin F11 key in game....

So, as you can see the in-game video recorder uses a lot more resources than Fraps does, as the big fps decreases would prove? Which, since I have over 3GB of total vram, there should be no big fps drops while recording, which means the in-game one is a resource hog...? tounge2.giflol.gif

I recommend using Virtual Dub to convert the huge FRAPS file.

But...Why buy an external program for that, when Windows automatically comes with one(Windows Movie Maker-XP and Vista0/Windows Live Movie Maker-Windows 7)? This way the Video quality is not degraded(everytime I use any other external converters, the quality comes out a lot worse than the original, no matter what format is used...it always looks very distorted, but with WMM(Windows movie maker), the quality looks pretty much the exact same as the original(but with a lot smaller file size-even at Full HD format)...Just curious about why you need an external(paid for) converter, when Windows comes with one pre-installed? confused.gif

Edited by radioman

Since you are ignorant and don't get my point I challenge you to make a video showing off The Statue of Happiness from bottom to the top - without using any mods and only using FRAPS. No helis allowed either. Try that...

Oh, and btw, VirtualDub is open-source and is able to convert to better formats than the sh*tty Windows Live Movie Maker which ONLY converts to .wmv. And what youre saying about the quality looking almost the same just isnt true.

So my question to you is, why buy an external program for that (FRAPS) when the in-game editor is more than capable of doing the same job...?

So my question to you is, why buy an external program for that (FRAPS) when the in-game editor is more than capable of doing the same job.

The answer to that is easy-Fraps works with pretty much ALL games-III, VC, SA, IV, EFLC, Scarface, Mafia II, etc..whereas the video editor ONLY works for IV and the EFLC games...

Also, Fraps is less of a resource hog than the in-game video editor is-with Fraps, there is only a few fps drop while recording, while with the in-game editor, there is around a 20+ fps drop...Also, the in-game editor ONLY records for like 30-60 seconds of footage at a time, whereas Fraps is pretty much unlimited recording(as long as you HD is large enough for the video files)...Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.gif

Since you are ignorant and don't get my point I challenge you to make a video showing off The Statue of Happiness from bottom to the top - without using any mods and only using FRAPS. No helis allowed either. Try that...

Actually, it's called the Statue of Liberty, not Statue of Happiness.. tounge2.giflol.gif lol, but anyway, I have done that in a video while on Algonquin Island...you can see it from there...I would upload it, but the video is too large(both time wise and file size) for Youtube... tounge2.gif

Since you are ignorant

It's not called ignorance, it is called Learning-I am still kind of new to PC's, as I never had a PC until 2005-I wasn't raised on computers like pretty much everyone else is... we were poor growing up and could not afford computers...so, you can be a little more polite and patient with people, please...I am still learning about the inner workings of computers...Why do you have to be so rude and cal people ignorant? confused.gif

Also, Fraps is less of a resource hog than the in-game video editor is-with Fraps, there is only a few fps drop while recording, while with the in-game editor, there is around a 20+ fps drop...

... come again?

Also, Fraps is less of a resource hog than the in-game video editor is-with Fraps, there is only a few fps drop while recording, while with the in-game editor, there is around a 20+ fps drop...

... come again?

Yeah, on my game, I get only around a 5fps drop(like 40 to 35) while recording with Fraps, but with the in-game video editor, it drops from like 40 fps to 20-25fps...and as you can see from the Benchmark in my next to last post above, I get great fps during normal gameplay..so, that would lead me to believe the in-game editor uses more resources than Fraps-due to the larger decrease in fps?

This is generally now valid, in some cases the ingame recorder does cause some minor performance drops, but I have never heard of anything like what you're describing.

It IS called the Statue of Happiness. Have you even played this game? I'm not gonna discuss with you anymore. It's just a waste of time.

Oh, and fwiw, I bought my first gaming PC in 2009. But you don't see me spewing non-sense in topics I have no clue about.

It IS called the Statue of Happiness. Have you even played this game? I'm not gonna discuss with you anymore. It's just a waste of time.

Oh, and fwiw, I bought my first gaming PC in 2009. But you don't see me spewing non-sense in topics I have no clue about.

That part about the Statue was a joke-as indicated by the smiley's at the end...It IS the Statue of Liberty in Real-life New York..Do you not have a sense of humor? confused.gif

I have played ALL 3 versions of this game-PS3, 360, and PC...

But you don't see me spewing non-sense in topics I have no clue about.

It is called trying to learn, hence is why I put question marks after sentences I am not totally sure about...that is how you learn by asking question ...If they are not correct, the polite thing to do would be to correct them, instead of calling people ignorant..Why do you have to be so rude to people? Just curious on that one.. confused.gif

YankeesPwnMets
You can just use Fraps, and be able to set the fps you want, plus you can then convert the Videos to whatever format you want.(I use Fraps to record, then I use Windows Live Movie Maker to edit and convert them-with Windows Live movie maker you can convert to 720p and 1080p.) This is the best way I have found to record and edit game footage. Plus, the best part, is Fraps gives you unlimited record time...(the ONLY limitation is your Hard Drive size). Just a heads up. I'm surprised no one has figured that one out yet. lol.giftounge2.gif

Fraps has a unlimited recording time... yeah... if you cough up $40 for it. Fraps is overpriced in my opinion

Fraps has a unlimited recording time... yeah... if you cough up $40 for it. Fraps is overpriced in my opinion

Actually, there is a Free "Full" version of Fraps(1.9d)-this one has unlimited recording time as a Free version...It is available here... So, there is a free version, it is from a legal site, and it says it is freeware... smile.gif

YankeesPwnMets

Actually, there is a Free "Full" version of Fraps(1.9d)-this one has unlimited recording time as a Free version...It is available here... So, there is a free version, it is from a legal site, and it says it is freeware... smile.gif

In case you haven't noticed on that page

Date: 2003-05-18

that is one outdated ass program

In case you haven't noticed on that page

Date: 2003-05-18

that is one outdated ass program

I know, but what can you complain about-it is 100% Free and still works..kind of goes back to the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And since it is mentioned here in a Pinned topic on this forum, obviously, it is still active and still works?

The video editor is more powerful as you can choose from a huge array of different camera angles. Of course, the video editor only does short clips, whereas FRAPs you can keep running until your hard drive fills up.

@OP If you don't like wmv format, you can always use FRAPs to record the preview of your video and then encode to any type you desire - and use further video editors on it which have features the ingame one doesn't. That's what I did to produce my Cops and Crooks Movie Trailer (see signature link).

OverTheBelow

That is the program before Fraps even became a paid application and to my knowledge will not run on Vista or 7, not to mention will offer much less performance when recording.

DU8afL0.jpg