about to upgrade

driftboy1992

driftboy1992

Ive been looking around for video cards and processors so far the video card im wanting to get is a Sparkle SX84GS1024S3LNM GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 1024MB, DDR3, PCI-Express, HDMI, VGA, DVI ive checked it out it's a good video card as far as i can tell but my only problem is im not sure if it will be compatible with my motherboard though so could anyone help me out cause this is the first time im going to upgrade my computer as soon as i find me a job somewhere. her's the link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...69&Sku=S15-8412

and for my computers support page it's not a top of the line pc but it runs gta sa at 25fps on 800x600x32 medium texture quality so it does good, it actually does better than the specs say it should, i think it does anyway link

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...m2350/specs.htm

Thanks to anyone who helps me out and a cookie for them cookie.gifcookie.gif

Your motherboard doesn't support it. It only has 3 PCI slots, whereas the card needs a PCI-Express slot. Strangely, it doesn't have an AGP slot either.

I'd wait for someone a bit more knowledgeable about cards to guide you on your next step, I've been out of touch with components for a while.

user posted image

leik oh em jeez!

DO NOT GET THE 8400GS.

You can find 8800GT's (MUCH faster) for around $50 all day. Or as low $20 if you're okay with used and you really look for it.)

And yes, the 512Mb 8800GT is a LOT faster than the 1024Mb 8400GS. Memory doesn't matter very much.

Just for future reference when you get a PC that has a PCI-e slot.

driftboy1992

My grandpa got this off guy he worked with and the guy sold it to him for cheap cause there was a virus in it and the guy was like alot of people to dumb to get a antivirus for it. My grandpa got another computer and gave me this one so i didnt really know what all was in it until recently. So thanks for the help guys I'll probally be asking more questions so thanks guys.

leik oh em jeez!

10 of the 12 graphics cards I've owned I bought used, and I never had any problems with any of them. So I'd say buying used graphics cards is great.

Motherboards are a bit tricky as there's more that can go wrong with them that's not always obvious. So I would stay away from buying used motherboards unless you really know what you're doing and already have all the hardware to test them.

8800GT's on ebay

You could also check Craigslist, there's almost always good deals locally.

Finn 7 five 11
Your motherboard doesn't support it. It only has 3 PCI slots, whereas the card needs a PCI-Express slot. Strangely, it doesn't have an AGP slot either.

I'd wait for someone a bit more knowledgeable about cards to guide you on your next step, I've been out of touch with components for a while.

Well what sort of games were you looking to play anyway, just for future reference...with that rig you won't be able to run any modern games.