Budget gaming PC

Edmachine

Okay, so my current PC is from the (not so) distant year of 2008. It has an 8800GT, Intel C2D E8560, 2GB of DDR2 RAM. It's too old now, runs rather hot (overheats even on Minecraft (on really hot summer days)), and the GPU is dying (like this). I can actually run games, but not for long. Which is annoying.

So, in hopes to (as lame as it sounds) convince my mother to allow me to buy a new one (I need very good reasons, so if you have any...) (God, this sounds lame), I need to get a new build. I would do this myself, however, I have been out of the loop in the component part of IT (I regret that), so I don't know what would be the best thing currently.

So, details:

Budget: No more than $1200, but please try to make it as cheap as you can, while still allowing it to be powerful and a gaming rig.

Case: I can use my old one, but if you can squeeze in a new one within the $1200, I'd want a windowed case with great cooling.

Hard drive: At least 1TB, also, I'm a Western Digital fanboy.

GPU: nVidia fanboy.

CPU: Intel fanboy.

Additional cooling: I asked Ryan to draft me a build, he included a CPU cooler. If the budget allows, go for it.

Site to use: Since I am in Latvia, it'd be easier (for me, anyway) if you used dateks.lv, because that's where I'd probably order from (Newegg and TigerDirect don't ship to Latvia; if there are any UK sites that ship to Latvia, could use those). I like that site.

So, yeah, no more than $1200, gaming rig, details. Big thanks in advance to all who help! smile.gif

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

You said $1200, is that 1200 on that website or is that a currency conversion from Latvia (whatever that might be) to USD?

If you want people to use that site to find your parts then we need the budget in that currency. I say this because an Intel Core i7-2600K is around $300 USD but on that website it's around 190

OverTheBelow

Oh lawd, so many brackets. My first bit of advice would be not to waste so much of the budget money on getting a H70 if you're not going to overclock. I don't know if Ryan has a thing with the H series of coolers, but in his build topic he was thinking of buying a similar one to the H70 and he isn't even going to overclock. tounge.gif You don't need that amount of cooling power for a stock CPU to put it straight.

Literally, your temperatures will go from 55C peak on a CPU stress test (which is absolutely fine, and uncomparable to real-life CPU usage i might add) to 45C. When you think these processors can cope with anything up to 85C, there is no point. wink.gif

p.s. this performs better than the H70 at quieter noise levels in most cases. but you still wouldn't need it. h70 vs nh-d14

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

@Wolf68k: Oh, right. $1200 = 600Ls. Basically, $1 = 0.5Ls, so multiply Lats by 2 to get dollars. smile.gif

@OTB: I'm not going to overclock, no. He said that the stock coolers were crap. tounge.gif

Speaking of temperatures, what is a safe max temperature for an E6850? My motherboard starts to cry at 75°C, which gets annoying. Sure, it's to warn me of overheating, but I want to play, goddamnit! tounge.gif

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

OverTheBelow

If your motherboard were at 75C, you'd need much better airflow in your case because that isn't a great deal safe. If your CPU was 75C it should be completely fine. Just try not to let it go very much over 80C (by adding fans or cleaning dust regularly), but even if it does you don't have much to worry about since you'll rarely end up with any damage anyway (automatic heat protections kick in at around 94C - throttles the CPU or shuts down).

Generally, stock coolers are only crap if you overclock or have a really crappy case. However, it's designed to cope with the CPU at factory settings and that is usually what it does at acceptable rate. wink.gif Though, even if you are slightly worried about it you should consider getting a Hyper 212+. It is immensely popular for it's good price|performance ratio and you can even throw on another fan if you eventually do hope to do some OCing.

For the harddrive get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 - again, insane price|performance ratio. It's faster than a 10k RPM velociraptor with read/write and costs alot less. tounge.gif

The graphics card, as an nVidia fanboy for some absurd reason (really? fanboyism is a stupid life choice - you should always go for best price|performance like i've pointed out products here), you could go for a GTX 560 Ti. Great performance at 1080p at a fair price. An AMD alternative would be a reference 6950, which can be unlocked to a 6970 (amd's flagship single GPU) for freeeeee. sigh.gif

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

No, the CPU is at 75°C, however, while running GTA IV, the GPU gets up to or above 75°C, so might as well be the whole thing. tounge.gif

Yeah, the case has only one exhaust fan. Optional intake fan at the front, which I don't have. Oh, and those temps aren't idle temps, of course. Those are gaming temps.

About the cooler. If the build allows it, I'll add it. smile.gif

HDD: Sure. I just trust WD the most. tounge.gif

GPU: Well, I'm not as much of a fanboy now as I was some years ago tounge.gif. But the unlocking thing. Would it be like this? Because the 6950 (judging by reviews) performs not as well as the 560 Ti (some cases), but the 6970 does much better... Also, PhysX. Could I use my dying 8800GT as a dedicated PhysX card then?

OverTheBelow

The 6950 is literally the exact same card as the 6970 with a different BIOS. All you need to do is flash the 6970 BIOS to actually make use of the disabled stream processors & raise clock speed etc. Was pretty badly thought out on AMD's end. But yeah, after unlocking you'd essentially have a 6970 (except you paid less money and it came in a different box!). tounge.gif

Concerning dedicated physx card with an AMD gpu - Nvidia don't officially allow it with radeon cards anymore but you could use your 8800GT as dedicated physx using a 3rd party tool and a modded driver release. It's easier done than said.

Also: the Samsung F3 is faster than any WD drive out currently there, you really need to stop with this fanboy stuff. tounge2.gif I have a F3 in my pc right now and it's working great. I also have a 1TB WD drive, but it's on its last legs I think.

DU8afL0.jpg

Didn't AMD do that with CPUs as well sometimes?

That sounds really cool, actually. 6950 it is, I suppose!

I probably would do that then. Also, easier said than done or done than said? tounge.gif

Okay, I'll take your word for it. If the Samsung fails within the first 2 years, you'll send me a new one free of charge, okay? tounge.gif

Okay, the video card and HDD are set. Now for the rest. smile.gif

OverTheBelow

Didn't AMD do that with CPUs as well sometimes?

Yep, but sometimes for good reason - one core of a quad core may be unstable so they sell it as a tri-core. It doesn't usually work like that with graphics cards, though.

That sounds really cool, actually. 6950 it is, I suppose!

I probably would do that then. Also, easier said than done or done than said? tounge.gif

Easier done than said. But make sure you get a reference 6950 else it probably won't be unlockable. But even then it wouldn't be that bad since it'll overclock to 6970 clocks with ease anyway. You should also make sure you read up about unlocking before you do anything - what to do if it goes wrong, etc.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. If the Samsung fails within the first 2 years, you'll send me a new one free of charge, okay? tounge.gif

Actually, Samsung will do that for you. turn.gif

Okay, the video card and HDD are set. Now for the rest. smile.gif

For the processor I'd recommend an i5 2500k. If you ever do decide to overclock and have the Hyper 212, you could get it to 4.2ghz+ easy. These Sandy Bridge processors eat 4ghz for breakfast.

This motherboard is pretty good, also boasts USB 3.0, Sata 6gb/s & crossfire support if you fancy it in the future:

http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/64/54812_asrock_p67_pro3_se.php

DU8afL0.jpg

Is this 6950 a reference one? http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/25/52447_club3d...0_1gb_gddr5.php

The motherboard seems quite small for an ATX motherboard, and it doesn't have PCI ports. That's not a bad thing, I *probably* won't buy any additional stuff for it. But it looks great so far. $800/$1200!

What's left...

ODD: I want a new one, my current one is bugging out.

PSU: I have a 650W one, I think. But my current PC is from 2008, so I think it'd be safer to get a new one.

RAM: 4 or 8GB

Case: Optional...

OverTheBelow

Ah - didn't see it had no PCI slots. If you are sure you aren't going to get a PCI sound card (some are PCI-E) or network adapter or whatever then that motherboard would be ideal. Otherwise let me know.

That card is non-reference. Only 2GB models are reference, but it's difficult to tell which cards are reference and which aren't so late after release.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

My best guess would be this card. It has the original AMD cooler and also has 0 failed unlocks @ the above link.

http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/25/50834_gigaby...56bit_gddr5.php

If your 650W is a good quality one then there will be no need to upgrade it. The brand is a good way to tell if it's likely to be good quality or not. What is it?

The RAM - get two sticks (or four if you want 8gb) of this ram for 4GB - http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/22/50362_corsai...2_dominator.php

Seems very cheap and it's good RAM.

The case is up to you to search for what you like in your budget. Same with the ODD.

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

Only 2GB models are unlockable

Wrong - many 1GB models unlock too, like Sapphire or ASUS DirectCUII.

74cXSsx.png

OverTheBelow
Only 2GB models are unlockable

Wrong - many 1GB models unlock too, like Sapphire or ASUS DirectCUII.

The word I meant to use was reference. suicidal.giftounge2.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

My PSU is a Chieftec one. Is that a good brand?

http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/25/53273_club3d...0_2gb_gddr5.php

How about that one? Is that a reference model? The GigaByte card you linked is out of stock.

OverTheBelow

Theres probably a good reason why it's out of stock. wink.gif

It's almost impossible to tell for sure if it's a reference model or not since some manufacturers sneakily modify their PCB. I think you'll probably be fine with that one, but don't take my word on it.

Chieftec make good and bad PSU's. You should check the model number to see if it's 80+ certified or not. If it isn't then you should probably get a new PSU.

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPow...px?id=19&type=2

DU8afL0.jpg

Well, when you think about it, does it matter that much? I'd still be able to play with a locked 6950 very well (I mean, IV won't stutter at 1280x1024 on, say, medium settings, will it?)...

There's an 80 Plus logo on the side of the PSU, so, yes, I guess it is. smile.gif

OverTheBelow

Haha, you don't even need a graphics card this powerful at that res. Your CPU is more likely to be the cause of stuttering in GTA4 if you go higher up with the sliders, and that is only eliminated by overclocking. However all the graphical options (reflections, etc) should run very well at Very High/highest.

DU8afL0.jpg

With a dying GPU, it doesn't matter if there's a bottleneck or not. tounge.gif

http://www.dateks.lv/grozs?content=q1ZKL8q...2FRaWRujCpYWwsA

Here, check out what's in my cart now. Is it all I will need if I keep my case and PSU?

And should I worry about whether my PSU will be powerful enough for the card? Like, GPU stuff, etc... I dunno.

OverTheBelow
With a dying GPU, it doesn't matter if there's a bottleneck or not. tounge.gif

http://www.dateks.lv/grozs?content=q1ZKL8q...2FRaWRujCpYWwsA

Here, check out what's in my cart now. Is it all I will need if I keep my case and PSU?

And should I worry about whether my PSU will be powerful enough for the card? Like, GPU stuff, etc... I dunno.

Yes, but I think you should make the most of your mom's money and get a new case too. tounge.gif

Make sure you'll be happy with that motherboard because I'm not too sure the lack of PCI ports would be very future-proof.

This would be a better option in the long term: http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/64/53923_asus_p8p67_pro_b3.php

The 650w power supply is more than enough for that setup, even if you OC.

And also don't forget you'll have to build this.

DU8afL0.jpg

OR! I could go for this: http://www.dateks.lv/cenas/64/52962_micros...p67a_c43_b3.php

If it is compatible... And buy one or two intake or exhaust fans for the case. smile.gif (there's one for $12...)

Building is not a problem. Building is actually a good thing, because I need the experience. smile.gif

Edited by Edmachine

OverTheBelow

That motherboard looks good, go for it. Get one or two intake fans if you can fit them in, but it doesn't look like a great case for airflow tbh. tounge.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

Okay, so this is what the cart looks like now. http://www.dateks.lv/grozs?content=q1ZKL8q...KIK1tYCAA%3D%3D

I think everything's okay.

I recon this is very cheap for a gaming PC, yeah?

EDIT: Oh, and before I forget... I need mom-convincing facts/arguments/sentences to convince her to buy it. tounge.gif

Another question: The HDD I currently have... 250GB. Should I use it alongside the 1TB I'd get and use it for system files or would it be better to use it for recording videos? I plan on buying an external portable hard drive for that, actually, so... Yeah...

Edited by Edmachine

OverTheBelow
Okay, so this is what the cart looks like now. http://www.dateks.lv/grozs?content=q1ZKL8q...KIK1tYCAA%3D%3D

I think everything's okay.

I recon this is very cheap for a gaming PC, yeah?

EDIT: Oh, and before I forget... I need mom-convincing facts/arguments/sentences to convince her to buy it. tounge.gif

Another question: The HDD I currently have... 250GB. Should I use it alongside the 1TB I'd get and use it for system files or would it be better to use it for recording videos? I plan on buying an external portable hard drive for that, actually, so... Yeah...

Should be completely fine and very future proof. wink.gif

Err, use your harddrive how you want to. You could use the 250gb as a backup drive or a FRAPS drive, it's your choice. Though make sure you think long-term before making & filling partitions. tounge2.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

Hope this works. lol.gif

Tell your mom, you need to keep up with technology so you won't get left behind and benefits when you

enter the IT field as they want youngsters with plenty of technical knowledge. Just say this person who works at Apple part time starts out at

$14USD per hour!

Another thing 3TB HDD requires a new computer as they cannot boot from your old system.

So buy a new 3TB HDD, try to install windows (which you cannot), and tell mommy you need a new

computer to work with your parts.

If your in school register for some computer course and even it's just some basic photoshop class,

tell here you need a powerful computer as these days applications works faster with a powerful computer that

has a nice video card. You're getting a "cheap" version as more professional workstation cards can cost up to $1000 USD.

Edited by Stinky12