Building Destroy

dansgas1000

it will be cool to have some level of damage, but more like a hole in the building depending on what weapon or vehicle you use against it, nothing more nothing less, somekind of a dissapearing with the time damage on the walls

Hmm it could be a good idea, but it would definitely make the game very much heavier! However, the idea of a LIGHT damage would be quite acceptable ... rahkstar2.gif

Clearly a lot of effort in making this thread. A little bit would be ok, but no need for entire structures or buildings to be destroyable. Just a bit of cosmetic damage like bullet holes and chunks of concrete/bricks flying off.

Damage is very hard to model permanently; the memory simply isn't there. Plus what if you destroy the whole city? cry.gif

My idea is to have the Illusion of damage when you hit a building with an RPG; a few bricks would fall, lights would flicker out, glass would shatter, but the fabric of the building itself would be unchanged when the smoke clears.

Bobby_Williams

It depends on the way you can destroy a building. If its realistic or not. Will you die if you destroy it. Example:

-Crashing a plane into a building like 9/11

-Typing in a natural-disaster cheat code ( Tornado's,Large earthquakes,Floods,Fires,Etc )

-Other

user posted image

the hadoken nigga

more games are going towards more destructible enviorments anyways so i can picture this in the next gta i dont know the extent

No thank you, I'd be quite happy to see it in Saints Row but It wouldn't fit in GTA with the direction it's now taking, I mean smashing windows and shop-fronts with cars and stuff, yes please, bringing down skyscrapers with rockets, not thanks.

CryptReaperDorian
Damage is very hard to model permanently; the memory simply isn't there. Plus what if you destroy the whole city? cry.gif

My idea is to have the Illusion of damage when you hit a building with an RPG; a few bricks would fall, lights would flicker out, glass would shatter, but the fabric of the building itself would be unchanged when the smoke clears.

Yeah, I agree with what you said. However, to make it look good, R* has to make the objects thicker than paper this time around. When it comes to destroying whole buildings, then definitely not. Let's be honest about something. RAGE sucks compared to Frostbite 2.0.

We should at least be able to break storefront windows like in Bull In A China Shop.

G1T

It would be neat but I'd be very happy if they implemented it with limitations. Being able to destroy a skyscraper and having it magically appear unscathed after a drive around the block would be too unrealistic even for me. And being able to destroy a skyscraper and having to wait a long period of time for it to be rebuilt would be too time consuming, especially if I wanted to go to the top of it and get nice views of the city from it again, but having to wait for it to be rebuilt for a long period of time wouldn't be very good imo.

So I'd rather only be able to destroy much smaller structures. Like in San Andreas there was a few wooden shacks around the countryside you could blow the walls off of and only have a few planks of wood left keeping the roof up. I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded on in the next GTA. Such as being able to cause small, 1 to 2 story houses/corner stores to partially collapse from an explosion. Structures that in real life wouldn't take very long to rebuild, so you won't have to wait long before you can blow it up once again.

So I'd like to see collapsible structures in the next GTA, but nothing so big that it'd completely altar the city's appearance like having highrises collapse. It was cool in Mercenaries, but not so much in GTA. But having small houses or corner stores collapsible could add a lot of fun to the series. Breakable windows was fun for a time, but it's losing its luster, so I would like to see R* step it up again, a bit more than they did in IV.

What the hell? what's with the detailed replies? hasn't anyone noticed that the OP is just a ton of emotes? or was it edited?

EncryptedReality

This kinda' damage would be sweet on V , but i highly doubt it.

I'll let this open since people discuss, but next time don't make smiley posts.

In IV you could destroy some scaffolding in Port Tudor and some smokestacks, granted they were made destructable for the mission "If The Price Is Right", just like part of the bridge you could destroy in Ganton on San Andreas.

G1T

I think it would be great to destroy entire buildings as long as you can hire a construction crew to build another one in its place but based on your criteria. Yeah I know, you'd see a whole street of stripper clubs but it could be fun to make your own city after destroying the old one.

Not happening this generation probably the next. Also destructible buildings will open up a whole new batch of controversy since the game will likely labeled a a full blown terrorist simulation. I can already hear them saying stupid sh*t like Al-Qaeda members are using GTA for training.

Depends on type of building. Skyscrapers would definitely not happen. Parts falling off, windows being broken, dents are things that would be completely allowed.

I wouldn t like it because in few houres the city would be totally destroyed, we are not in the 3 world war!!!

TenEightyOne

I think we'll get this eventually; but not on GTAV.

This really requires a cloud-computing approach. The GFX/map processing would be done server-side with gamers simply sending controller instructions and receiving the video output via their consoles.

In this way it would be possible to "reset" the city at the beginning of each session and to track environmental damage for the whole city on a real-time basis.

That's too much for most engines to cope with (although Battlefield gives a good impression of that happening, some of which is fake), but we'll definitely see it in the future.

I would like to see more realistic damage in the next Grand Theft Auto--I however, wouldn't want to destroy whole buildings. For example, I would like it so that you can seriously damage buildings such as if you shoot at it, the windows shatter; or if you shoot a rocket launcher into the building, it is left with a huge hole in it. I however, wouldn't want to be able to fully destroy (destroy as in "bring down) an entire building as that would be too "war like"; if you are getting me.

RE9mJnf.png

Perhaps cement breaking and chipping off the side of the wall.

Front of shops breaking.

Nothing major, the hardware can't handle it.

Vercetti27

This is something that would REALLY improve gameplay, another form of destruction is always good

There is already light damage in gta 4. If you run a car into a building wall there are visible cracks and cement chunks that come out. In

Saints row 2 you can damage the building models with a rocket launcher. I think if they did implement building damage they could handle it like in GTA Vice City Stories. In VCS when an empire building were damaged a construction wall with sign would appear when you came back, and you could hear work going on inside. If you went away long enough the building would be repaired.

I would like to see more realistic damage in the next Grand Theft Auto--I however, wouldn't want to destroy whole buildings. For example, I would like it so that you can seriously damage buildings such as if you shoot at it, the windows shatter; or if you shoot a rocket launcher into the building, it is left with a huge hole in it. I however, wouldn't want to be able to fully destroy (destroy as in "bring down) an entire building as that would be too "war like"; if you are getting me.

Yes my thoughts exactly on this whole deal! I don't want to take out a whole building. I'm not Soap Mactavish. Make the damage to surrounding buildings realistic. Maybe keep the damage there for a couple of days. If its damage from an RPG blast then have an NPC city crew surround damage and work on it. That would be cool