Choices in GTA V?

French Tom

If their is another topic than give me a link. If its in the wrong plaace than move it.

Anyway I think GTA V could take a lesson from Heavy Rain and include choices so you dont always get the same boring outcome. In fact I think that they will do it becuase they kind of tested it out in IV and I heard the script is over 1000 pages long so maybe they have to record the voices for each different outcome. What do you think?

user posted image

TrevorSpeed914

And the neighborhood trolls will come pouring in.

French Tom, I think it would be worth your while to look around the forum a while before posting threads. smile.gif

I think this is probably the 10th I'm saying this. GTA can learn a lot from RDR.

RDR has choices that really made you think of the way your character reacts and what the consequences are.

Some people may think this is too RPG-ish, but what's wrong with that? One of the new directions the GTA franchise is taking is character development so I wouldn't mind the morality system being enhance in the next GTA.

French Tom, I think it would be worth your while to look around the forum a while before posting threads. smile.gif

What do you mean? whatsthat.gif

user posted image

It depends on the story. Niko had a story where he constantly dealt with moral decision because his personality was very torn apart. If the next character also has experienced horrible events that lead to this then fine. If not they should probably leave it out. Those moral decision didn't make as much sense in TLAD, TBOGT and RDR because the main characters didn't have the same background story as Niko did.

user posted image

I wouldn't mind having choices and different outcomes in the next Grand Theft Auto game. Grand Theft Auto IV had two different endings, but I think that it could run on a more tree-like structure. For example, you do a set of missions which lead up to a decisive mission where you must make a choice to say, kill person A or person B, and depending on the person killed would determine the next set of missions that become available.

This means that each player would essentially be doing the same number of missions on each play through, but everyone would be getting entirely different endings based on the decisions that they made; which would be really cool to see in my opinion!

RE9mJnf.png

TrevorSpeed914

What do you mean? whatsthat.gif

Sorry, I was sure the gang were going to make jokes about your thread being closed by a mod soon, but I guess your topic is relevant enough. smile.gif

I thought GTA IV did well on alter choices. I mean what would the game be like if I hadn't killed Playboy? ( I know that's a poor example) but I didn't go back and play it because I wanted to stick with the choices that I made for myself. It made me think "what if?" I think that yall are right in some aspects tho. How could R* go more in depth with decision making:

Maybe as part of some turf war minigame I could take out a gang leader that has nothing to do with the main story line and by killing him it makes that gang hate me but at the same time brings respect amongst a rival gang.

But say I didn't kill that particular gang leader, say instead somehow I protect him and cut him in on a big drug deal. Then he supplies me with a discount rate for firearms and happens to back me up if I'm ever in a bind with other gangs.

but... but I KILLED YOU!! how the hell you are alive!?

on topic: yes, i'm pretty sure they will improve on that

See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil...

I LOST A FRIEND, MAY GOD REST YOUR SOUL, ZEE

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

user posted image

Not only would it make the path a bit more unique to you, the replay factor would be increased dramatically because you could start a new game and end up playing a completely different storyline from the first.

having choices over who's life to save and deciding who betrayed you really interests me. making gut decisions in a game that can highly change other events in a game and what happens in the end is like real life pressure , only you don't actually have to deal with the negative consequences . this is something I look forward to.

Sunrise Driver

Screw this. GTA should be fun like GTA 1,2,3, not some drama.

Rockstar20124

I think this is probably the 10th I'm saying this. GTA can learn a lot from RDR.

RDR has choices that really made you think of the way your character reacts and what the consequences are.

Some people may think this is too RPG-ish, but what's wrong with that? One of the new directions the GTA franchise is taking is character development so I wouldn't mind the morality system being enhance in the next GTA.

I have played and finished RDR and can't remember any big choice moments. Apparently there was something with a pimp. You can kill him or pay a large amount of dollars to free a woman. http://bitmob.com/articles/the-audacity-of...pen-world-games Also, there was something with a smuggling mission I believe. Anyway, there weren't any memorable choices in RDR. And John Marston is a very prude and loyal family guy who doesn't want to fool around with other women, let alone whores. You can't even watch a burlesque show with attractive female dancers. No choice when it comes to playing with the ladies. Which was all very dissapointing suicidal.gif I still liked the game, but it doesn't come close to my affection of GTA IV. Which did have huge emotional and memorable story decisions cool.gif And obviously you could date and screw women. And you have the choice to go to strip clubs and get lap dances and pick up street hookers in your car tounge.gif GTA IV makes RDR look like the Little House on the Prairie biggrin.gif

Anyway, I would like to see and actually am expecting some RPG elements like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. Nothing wrong with that at all. Including dialogue choices at certain times. Maybe not as frequent as those games but certainly at more key moments in the story then GTA IV. Giving the GTA V story mode much more replay value cool.gif

I want more choices of how to tackle missions, most were one dimensional in IV so I had to struggle to be creative.

Moral choices in IV sucked balls, it was best to let them live so you got the random character mission, than kill them which got you nothing but alternate dialog, probably the best choice was killing Playboy X or Dwayne because you either got $25,000 for killing PBX or you get a new safehouse and a friend in Dwayne.

G1T

Maybe saints row 3 is something you would like biggrin.gif. I really get into the stories of any video game ESPECIALLY the GTAs or any of R* games. smile.gif

Maybe saints row 3 is something you would like biggrin.gif. I really get into the stories of any video game ESPECIALLY the GTAs or any of R* games. smile.gif

Exactly, it woud make it much more fun to replay because the choices can and will affect (effect?) everything that happens. Sends chills down my spine just thinking about it! sigh.gif

user posted image

Racecarlock

Here's my thing. In a sandbox game, I don't want to feel responsible for my actions. That's why I play sandbox games in the first place. I want to murder and murder and murder and steal and murder some more without getting marked down on karma points or whatever. That's why I play GTA and SR2 and Just Cause 2, because I can steal as many cars and kill as many people as I want without having to feel guilty about it. Why should I be made to now? Plus it wouldn't make much sense. In red dead redemption, it felt like the protagonist was two sided enough to go either hero or Darth Vader. Not so in GTA. In GTA, we know the protagonist is already a stone cold killer criminal, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to start acting like Saint Peter or whatever. Some people have suggested that this could be rectified by making the main character a cop. I suggest L.A. Noire to those people, because although it has no side activities (replaced with side quests over radio dispatch I believe) it does have that good cop bad cop stuff that you're looking for. Also try true crime: new york city. But morality in GTA? That just doesn't make sense. Nico only felt bad when someone he liked died, he didn't give a sh*t about the hundreds of gangsters he's killed and civilians he's shot, ran over, and pushed off cliffs. Why should GTA protagonists start caring now?

After GTA 4 I'm tired of all the scripted missions with moral choices. I would rather they focused more on giving the player several different methods of tackling a mission Hitman style which would add to the replay value and make 100%ing missions more rewarding as players find faster more efficient ways to complete missions.

Could you imagine a mission where you had to kill a guy who is at his home with allot of security and you could either:

-Go in there guns blazing.

-Smoke everyone out with well placed molotovs.

-Find the properties power generator, take it out look for a back entrance that is usually locked due to the security system and sneak into the targets office for an easier take down.

Edited by Gregers08

French Tom
After GTA 4 I'm tired of all the scripted missions with moral choices. I would rather they focused more on giving the player several different methods of tackling a mission Hitman style which would add to the replay value and make 100%ing missions more rewarding as players find faster more efficient ways to complete missions.

Could you imagine a mission where you had to kill a guy who is at his home with allot of security and you could either:

-Find the properties power generator, take it out look for a back entrance that is usually locked due to the security system and sneak into the targets office for an easier take down.

Well thats kind of what I mean, I would like that along with the choices. Not moral but just what you want to do. Like withkilling playboy-x or dwayne their was no moral either way someone died, it just changed how the story played out.

user posted image

Maxsbigbro

this is kinda random but if they make a sandbox with all the morality someone could possibly face then maybe it'll become a new type of sandbox? perhaps a more realistic one...

What about the different endings? Will they matter like in Mass Effect? or will they be meaningless like in Resident Evil?

Rockstar20124

Could you imagine a mission where you had to kill a guy who is at his home with allot of security  and you could either:

Well, I will never get tired of RPG like moral choices which will affect the story and ultimately most likely give multiple endings. And I would love and actually expect to see a lot more of them in GTA V. But I definitely do agree with giving the player the choice of selecting his own method(s) in missions cool.gif Hitman is a fantastic underrated game franchise. And I'm glad there will be FINALLY a Hitman V next year biggrin.gif Obviously there would have to be the ability of selecting disguise outfits from the start and/or during the mission when you take a specific guard out and take his clothes for example.

SA had some stealth missions and some disguises like the valet parker. But they were nowhere near the complexity and quality of the Hitman series. GTA IV had way too few and and short small Assassin missions. All in the open. And all very simple. Just use your sniper from a safe long distance and that was basically it. So Rockstar North should definitely learn from the Hitman series. And even last years Splinter Cell: Conviction. Maybe you didn't have disguises but you did have the choice to go in guns blazing or take out enemies more silently cool.gif

A choices system like in True Crime could be interesting. Make a wrong choice and you end up getting killed and your story ends there, although that could be frustrating.

I would love more longevity in the game, the choices in IV were a let down. They all ended up the same way even though you took a different path.

Adding choices and outcomes to the less story driven side of the game would be a nice touch. For example, if you get into a huge, high profile police chase it would be nice to have it referenced in news stories on the radio.

Theses are all Great ideas. I liked that GTA IV had choices but they really did not affect the Story that much. I want to either kill someone or let them live and it comes back to get you later in the Story, or there is a Drug Deal and you can either do the deal and get the Drugs and people come after you and try to get them back or you could ambush the deal kill everyone and no one knows it was you. I would Love for GTA V to have this.

Proud Fool

Yeah there was only one choice in IV that didn't have to do with killing or sparing someone, deal or revenge, we need more of those much more.

G1T

Racecarlock

As long as it is story only. I don't want to get marked down on my karma meter every time I run down 10,000 innocent people in an FIB buffalo, because it takes all of the fun out of getting away with serious crimes. And GTA doesn't have much else.

Shayan Shaffey

Agreed! a icon14.gif for everyone that thinks GTA shouldn't have really important decisions!

user posted image