making videogames vs. consuming videogames

Tom Toole

Nice title huh?

But yeah I'm thinking along the lines of:

What percentage of videogame players have no understanding of how the videogames they play are made? (children count?)

I mean this sort of alienation, lack of understanding of very basic and important facts of their world, regarding the tecnical details, the production method, the propaganda, the company structure.

I mean I think it's pretty sad when you have assymetric relationships - when the consumer is only able to consume and never able to produce a response, some kind of dialogue to what he encountered.

• 4 weeks later...
Shayan Shaffey

your answer is very simple, we just play, who cares how they are made. the reason we play is to get our minds off of complicated stuff like coding.

user posted image

MonstaMasha

Agreed, not many people do understand the way that video games are made. However, I think the manufacturer's make the games already with the knowledge that not many people understand their line of work. Of course, if I ever get a chance to I offer some feedback as to the quality of the game to pay my respects to the developers, which I think is just basic manners. However, I think that this is the way that the video game industry has built up over the years, with a much more naive attitude on the side of the consumers.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
I think it's unnecessary for a consumer to have to know where their product came from and how it was created. When a child gets a new toy, do they sit there and think how it was made, or do they just enjoy the product for what the final result is, what the company wants them to do? The same can be said for videogames, and I don't think it's ignorant for a gamer not to know how the game was made and everything, but to just enjoy the final product and play it as much as possible.

You should always know how what you are consuming is made and where it comes from. Be it clothing, food, your car, or the games you play. People choosing to remain ignorant in such things is half of the reason why there are so many idiots around.

It's not that hard. You don't need to know all of the specific details. Just ask a question every once in a while. There are plenty of people out there who will be happy to answer in a way you'll understand.

If you can't stop being ignorant overnight, at least stop being so damn proud of it. It's not good for you, and it's not good for people around you.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Mister Pink

I'd like to know more about the production process. I know a little and can apply some of my knowledge working in other creative industries to try generate some understanding of what a games company may go through. I do think it's important to know about products you buy.

It's not necessary for all things, but it helps when when you want to make a decision when you are parting with cash about the worth of a product. Also, some of the things people think they want in a game compared to the reality of how it will play such as requests/wishlist in V forum.

It's not just about making educated purchasing descisions. It's about knowing something about the world you live in. When people know nothing about things they use every day, it is pathetic. It is loss of culture. Lack of any kind of education. If you show no basic interest in objects around you, how can you be expected to be interested in things you do? Things others do? Politics even. What possible use can you be?

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

WF the Hobgoblin

I ain't got no idea how they make video games. My money's on some kind of witchcraft or sorcery.

I mean how the hell in a hand basket do they turn all dem codes into all dem purdy pictures on tha tv screen?

Edited by WF the Hobgoblin

Ignorance is not a good thing, one of the main reasons I register on forums is to understand the things better, and clearer.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

I'm not retracting my above statement due to the other responses, but I admit, I would love to know more about the production of a game, from the little lines of text on a screen, all the way to me playing the game, but personal reasons mean it would be hard for me to do this, hence my answer above, plus I was looking at it from the wrong angle.

I remember as a kid, when I first loaded up Zelda:OOT, and the size of the game, which back in them days was massive, made me wonder how everything was done, and what was behind the game. This made me start looking through websites and reading up as much as possible about gaming, and this ultimately led me to want to become a Games Designer...yet a few years later I saw the true side of this and decided against it. The most recent "production" videos I've watched were the SSX ones, with them explaining every step of how they are creating the new game and what work goes into making and developing a game.

I remember as a kid, when I first loaded up Zelda:OOT, and the size of the game, which back in them days was massive, made me wonder how everything was done, and what was behind the game. This made me start looking through websites and reading up as much as possible about gaming

This is the right approach, and how you should be about everything. Kids start out this way. They ask questions about everything. It's only when they get stupid responses, like, "It doesn't matter," or my favorite, "God made it that way," they stop being curious about these things. But that's how we learn. We ask questions, we get answers, and we check if the answers fit with our picture of the world.