Stuttering and inability turn AA on

Vibonacci

hey,

I have a Radeon hd6950 with latest catalyst (11.5) and core i5 2500k with 8gb ram i.e. specs that should handle gta4 with ease. The in-game benchmark gives me 60 fps on average with all settings maxed.

Without any patch the game was completely unplayable: extreme stuttering. Then I installed 1.0.7.0 and the stuttering was a great deal less and I could use some nice new graphics options. Still there is stuttering which is quite annoying since I know its not the lack of performance of my system. I have used an older driver (11.2) to see if maybe this driver caused the issue but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Another problem I have is that I cannot get AA to work with this game. Obviously there is no option ingame to turn it on but even if I force it through my graphics drivers it doesn't have any effect at all. This is really a pain in the ass because gta4 is the game that seems would benefit from AA the most of any game I have in my collection (the edges in the distance are aliased quite a bit).\

Can you guys help me with these issues?

I have found some other threads that are about the first issue but they don't seem to end with a solution. The game is not unplayable but it is very annoying that this issue plagues such a great game. Liberty City looks so nice but then it stutters while driving and its so annoying.

Thx in advance,

Vib

That really sucks about the AA. Like I said, this game really needs it.

Here is the benchmark:

Statistics

Average FPS: 60.19

Duration: 37.86 sec

CPU Usage: 60%

System memory usage: 36%

Video memory usage: 55%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: Very High

Reflection Resolution: Very High

Water Quality: Very High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16

Night Shadows: Very High

View Distance: 100

Detail Distance: 100

Hardware

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Video Driver version: 8.17.10.1077

Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

You should try lowering the settings a bit or just use the autoconfigure option.

Disable Vsync and disable Definition.

Vsync in this game just caps the framerate to 60FPS, or so I have heard. It doesn't work fluently and it causes slow loading times.

Defenition makes the motion-blur possible, but also blurs eveything else. You can try installing visual mods for that, but that will make the game incompatible with MP.

You also might turn down some settings. Since the reflections are crapped up on the PC version, I recommend High for reflection. Water looks pretty good on High too, in my opinion Very High looks a bit unrealistic. Medium looks okay too, but the water reflections suck.

For View Distance, I'd try something lower. Turn it down until you're pleased with what you see, because above some level there isn't really anything improving, same with Detail distance. (for Detail distance, you should play at night, because this settings greatly influences the distance of which lights are rendered) You should be able to keep this higher than View distance.

Also since your framerate is quite high-ish, you could give ENB Series a shot (when you decide not to play MP, because this needs downgrading). It enables AA (though it uses a very costy way of achieving AA, every graphics card will suffer greatly. (well, maybe not your HD6950, because it supports up to 6 screens, and rendering at double your resolution shouldn't be a too big problem)), it makes the reflections better and last but not least, the greatly enhances the overall lighting.

Oh, and something that I just throught of, did you defragment? Sometimes the game needs to get data from the hard drive, especially when cruising at a nice speed. Fragmented files may cause slowdowns because of seeking for the files, so try defragging first!

OverTheBelow

That really sucks about the AA. Like I said, this game really needs it.

Here is the benchmark:

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Consider trying Morphological AA. Looks good but not as perfect as normal AA and can sometimes pack a punch towards performance. It's under Morphological Filtering in CCC on the latest drivers.

DU8afL0.jpg

@ikt

V-Sync I never use. Disabling Definition actually enables the motion blur.. but you're right: it blurs everything even when standing still sad.gif It sucks.

As for the reflections, I don't find em f*cked up looking though I agree the water reflection is a bit weird looking. Changing view distance does exactly what you'd expect. But everything you mentioned didn't fix the problem.

McGTA4 actually got it : changing Shadow Quality from very high to high removed the stuttering and even the mouse lag I had while browsing the menu in-game.

@ikt

That mod looks terrific! I don't care for MP so I will give this a go. Any tips about installing it (version number?)

@OverTheBelow

Morphological AA 8x does neglect the aliasing a little but like you said, nowhere near MSAA or other forms. Also it introduces a new form of stuttering and reduces benchmark score by 10 fps to ~50fps average.

I guess I'll play game with shadows settings on high for tonight and try that mod tomorrow.

thx for help guys.

Read the description in the YouTube vid if you want that mod.

This is from the creator of that mod:

4 february 2011: 0.082 Beta for GTA 4 removed. Strongly recommended to not use it for your safety.

ENB series.

OverTheBelow
Read the description in the YouTube vid if you want that mod.

This is from the creator of that mod:

4 february 2011: 0.082 Beta for GTA 4 removed. Strongly recommended to not use it for your safety.

ENB series.

Probably just because of the heat generated by a card under such load. I don't see any other reason it could be described as 'dangerous'. Unless the files are going to jump out the screen and attack you or something.

Shouldn't even be using ENB if you aren't keeping an eye on your card's temps.

DU8afL0.jpg

damn, on the site it says:

GTA4 0.082 Beta - limited temporary version (removed, the reason is possible videocard corruption)

ok so I can't get this version. btw I agree a video card should not corrupt even on max load if the card isn't overclocked and the cooler not dusted.

GTA4 0.081 SORA - adaptation to game version 1.0.6.0 with limited number of effects enabled. In previous version 0.080 SORA where some changes of antialiasing, post processing, color operations, inherited.

I have version 1.0.7.0. Should this be a problem? Or should I reinstall and apply 1.0.6.0?

I've tried to get ENB series working with 1.0.7.0 to no avail. I can't tell you whether or not it works with 1.0.6.0 as I have the Steam version and am unable to downgrade. suicidal.gif

Version 1.0.4.0 works best with ENB from what I've read and the screenshots I've seen. It also performs way better, according to most users on this forum.