gta_sa.exe has encountered a problem

TheNathanNS

TheNathanNS

as some of you know i had this problem recently and i fixed it

now its back BUT not as bad as it was

if i load up a save game and select "advanced" it crashes BUT if i select "advanced BEFORE loading a save game it'll allow me fine!

yes i have mods installed but this was happening before i installed mods and i have the disc version

user posted image

i have windows XP and the disc is legit because i bought it at Game (a well known gaming store in England)

First, Get rid of the Mods and play the normal game as it was intended to be played and tested...Also, make sure you have the latest SP for Windows(which is SP3 for XP). Also, make sure ALL your drivers are up to date for your Video card, Sound card, DX, etc.?

But judging by the screen shot, that looks like a illegal game package, as the 3 official cases look like this: user posted image

The one on the Left is the Original release, the middle one is the release with the Vista requirements on the package, and the last one is the Trilogy Pack...These are the only legal Retail copies, to my knowledge...? confused.gif

Edited by radioman

TheNathanNS
First, Get rid of the Mods and play the normal game as it was intended to be played and tested...Also, make sure you have the latest SP for Windows(which is SP3 for XP). Also, make sure ALL your drivers are up to date for your Video card, Sound card, DX, etc.?

But judging by the screen shot, that looks like a illegal game package, as the 3 official cases look like this: user posted image

The one on the Left is the Original release, the middle one is the release with the Vista requirements on the package, and the last one is the Trilogy Pack...These are the only legal Retail copies, to my knowledge...?

those are the only legal copies (disk version) in England i know of aside from the GTA Trilogy (which i cant find)

i'll uninstall my Menu mods when i get home see if that works

and i did a update check (or whatever its called) and it says all are up to date

Spider-Vice

radioman, it's legit, it must be the difference between European and American versions because I've seen plenty like that. ANd uninstall the mods. When you need help and have mods installed, try not to come on Troubleshooting forums before uninstalling them and reinstalling the game. The menu mods are most likely the cause.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

TheNathanNS
radioman, it's legit, it must be the difference between European and American versions because I've seen plenty like that. ANd uninstall the mods. When you need help and have mods installed, try not to come on Troubleshooting forums before uninstalling them and reinstalling the game. The menu mods are most likely the cause.

ugh no luck it still crashes if i enter "advanced" ingame but if i enter "advanced" BEFORE loading a game it loads up no problem

also happens when i tried to reset my mouse/keyboard settings to default

Spider-Vice

When entering advanced settings menu? What are your system specifications?

image.png

TheNathanNS
When entering advanced settings menu? What are your system specifications?

idk if its my windows XP settings

system Windows XP SP3

Account= Administrator

Memory= 30kb (i got rid of loads of unwanted programs)

my XP Screen Resolution is 1280 X 1024 (highest 32Bit)

my GTA San Andreas resolution is 800 X 600

^ idk if that has anything to do with it

graphics card = Intel® GMA Driver

sound card= Direct 9x

firewall is off (for San Andreas Multiplayer)

Antivirus is Kasperky

i dont know how much RAM i have

Spider-Vice

Try going on Start, Run and type dxdiag, then press OK. A window will open and go to the Graphics Section. Tell us how much memory does it show you have, because the Advanced Settings menu is known to bug on graphics cards below 64 MB. A solution is to install patch v1.01, but first tell us your graphics memory.

image.png

TheNathanNS
Try going on Start, Run and type dxdiag, then press OK. A window will open and go to the Graphics Section. Tell us how much memory does it show you have, because the Advanced Settings menu is known to bug on graphics cards below 64 MB. A solution is to install patch v1.01, but first tell us your graphics memory.

soz for long reply i forgot bout the topic till i loaded up San Andreas earlier today

user posted image

is this what you mean?

Click on the 'Display' tab. That'll tell you the total memory allotted to your video card.

TheNathanNS

user posted image

you may need to zoom in to see the text

i tried stretching it but then the text went all screwed so this is a good as i could get on it

Might have something to do with having only 128 MB of video memory, but ideally, that should suffice.

Have you tried updating your video drivers?

Might have something to do with having only 128 MB of video memory, but ideally, that should suffice.

Have you tried updating your video drivers?

It also has something to do with the fact he is on a netbook(those were not deisgned for games)-I recognized that, since he has a Intel Atom processor(those are lower powered processors than what normally comes on regular laptops...Plus, netbooks do not have regular video cards, like normal laptops, the Video memory is built into the Processor(similar to how the I5's have a Intel HD processor built in-like my laptop has an ATI Radeon card and the Intel HD graphics)...Here is a video that better explains what I am trying to say... So, since you are on a netbook, you will not be able to run graphic intensive games like GTA SA on it, i'm afraid.... confused.gif

TheNathanNS

no no! im on a PC not a note book! i'll show a pic later with my PC

i tried updating my directx 9 and loaded up GTA San Andreas again and i did a few missions and this is the message i got when i selected "quit game" & yes

user posted image

^notice how GTA San Andreas is still running but gta_sa.exe has encountered a problem

and it also does that thing where if i put a window over it (only for the error screen) the window looks like its still there

6/10 the only way to shut it down is to open task manager & select gta_sa.exe & end process now otherwise i'd be stuck at the gta sa blah blah blah screen

Edited by lil weasel

Lets start over. Reinstall the game and delete the gta_sa.set file from the User Files folder. Don't install any mods. Also, looking at your taskbar, you seem to have quite a few applications running in the background. Close all of them before you start the game.

And I wasn't talking about updating DirectX; I was asking you to update your video driver. Different thing.

TheNathanNS
Lets start over. Reinstall the game and delete the gta_sa.set file from the User Files folder. Don't install any mods. Also, looking at your taskbar, you seem to have quite a few applications running in the background. Close all of them before you start the game.

And I wasn't talking about updating DirectX; I was asking you to update your video driver. Different thing.

oh i just made a video on my problem

i'll post it here later if movie maker will save it

no no! im on a PC not a note book! i'll show a pic later with my PC

The Intel Atom Processor is pretty much exclusive to netbooks..as seen in the video in my last post-around the 2:45 mark...It says the Atom processor is a lot smaller and lower power processor, which is NOT designed for gaming...Here's more proof

Intel Atom is the brand name for a line of ultra-low-voltage x86 and x86-64 CPUs (or microprocessors) from Intel, designed in 45 nm CMOS and used mainly in netbooks, nettops, and Mobile Internet devices (MIDs). On December 21, 2009, Intel announced the next generation of Atom processors, including the N450, with total kit power consumption down 20%.[2] Intel Atom processors are based on the Bonnell microarchitecture
Here is the original article...

But another thing I noticed from your last screen shot, is you have SA multiplayer installed, try getting rid of that and see if it helps...Also, keep in mind that since Intel Video cards are Integrated, they have Shared vram, so not all of that 128MB is going to gaming..Only about 32MB to 64MB is Dedicated..That is another problem, as SA needs a minimum of 64MB of dedicated vram to run....

Edited by radioman

*facepalm*

We don't need to see any videos. I understand your problem perfectly. Just try what I suggested in my previous post and get back to us with the results.

TheNathanNS

i know you said not to show the vid its just i want to prove that im using a desktop

i have tried deleting the gta_sa.set and still the same problem suicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

^ also in the vid do you think one of the mods i use could be effecting it (i uninstalled them to see if that'd fix the problem then reinstalled them)

Well..That video just showed that you have a heavily modded game, as here is what the normal screen looks like...

So...a Un-install and Re-install and Delete the .set file from the User Files Folder WILL fix the problem...as has been suggested by Girishb already...try that and let us know the results...Play the game WITHOUT mods, the way the game was designed and tested by Rockstar Games...

For the second time, have you tried any of this?

I want you to not use any mods AT ALL.

TheNathanNS

reinstalled still the same "gta_sa.exe has encountered a problem" BUT it has improved a little bit it no longer covers the entire screen! so we are making slight progress!

user posted image

FYI The GTA San Andreas folder is for unused cleo mods

GTA San Andreas backups is for when im installing mods

GTA SA Orignal IMG is backups of my modded player.img & gta3.img etc.

^ thank god i kept backups of them!

2¢... Inquiry ... just to verify what's being talked about.

When you first installed the Game on your current Computer was it from the Original Game DVD?

Did the Game Play properly from that first DVD install with the DVD in the Drive?

How far into the game did you get before you started mucking about with mods?

Are you currently playing with that DVD in the drive?

Is your DVD disc a Second Edition (V2) Game?

Do you understand that the way to fix or isolate the problem is to have a Clean install of the Game, without any outside interference from Mods, Add-ons, etc.?

Edited by lil weasel

TheNathanNS
2¢... Inquiry ... just to verify what's being talked about.

When you first installed the Game on your current Computer was it from the Original Game DVD?

Did the Game Play properly from that first DVD install with the DVD in the Drive?

Are you currently playing with that DVD in the drive?

Is your DVD disc a Second Edition (V2) Game?

i used to have a cracked version but then once a i bought the game (refering first post) i deleted every trace of the downloaded version and did a clean install with the disc (full installation)

my disc was V2.00 but i used a downgrade patch for it so i could mod & play San Andreas Multiplayer

i sometimes use a gta_sa_compact.exe for cleo mods until i found out my disc could run them so the compact.exe is no longer being used and now resides in the recycle bin along with busted mods and broken programs

the game has always done this since i used the disk (i dont know why though) cos i thought problems like this would occour if i have mods (like my older topic like this was caused by a cleo mod)

Do you understand that the way to fix or isolate the problem is to have a Clean install of the Game, without any outside interference from Mods, Add-ons, etc.?

That includes any 'downgrade' patch, or adaptation for Multi-player.

So, you have Never Played the game without some modification?

Also, it isn't necessary to "Quote" an immediatly previous reply, You can use the 'Add-Reply' or 'Fast-Reply' buttons at the bottom of the page.

TheNathanNS

That includes any 'downgrade' patch, or adaptation for Multi-player.

So, you have Never Played the game without some modification?

when i first got it i played it for bout 3 months before downgrading then about 2 weeks before installing camhack so i played GTA SA for about 14 weeks without mods

FYI i first had the disc version then it snapped then i had a bad virus which i had to reinstall windows so i downloaded a "illegal" version of it for about 2 months and just last week i rebought the disc and reinstalled the disk version and deleted the downloaded one

if i aint makin any sense here just tell me and i'll repost in the morning

GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE

If I'm not mistaken, what lil Weasal(and Girishb in a round a bout way), is saying, is to do a complete un-install, delete the .set file from the User Files Folder, Get rid of the downgrader(it is NOT needed anyway), get rid of ALL traces of mods(including backups to mods), delete SA-MP program, then restart your PC, then do a re-install and play the game the normal way, without Mods, without downgrader, without any no-dvd cracks, nothing but the normal V2 game...see if the problem persists that way...?

TheNathanNS
Try and do these things:

1. Run your game in Windows 98 compatibility mode OR in Windows XP Service Pack 2/3 Compatibilty.

2. Delete gta_sa.set file in found here: C:\Users\You User\Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files

3. Run the game as Administrator.

4. Check for overheating.

5. Check if the CD is working or not (because it might have scratches, etc.).

6. Download OFFICIAL patches from the internet and install it into game. I recommend you to use the v1.01 Patch.

7. Either disable your Anti-Virus or do these:

• Steps

a. Click on the "Start".

b. Next, Click on "Run" ( or simply press Windows + R )

c. Type in "systempropertiesperformance" (without the quotes)

d. On the Visual Effects Tab, Click on "Adjust for best Performance"

e. Then Click on "Apply"

f. Lastly, on the "Data Execution Prevention Tab", Click on "Add" then browse for

your GTA San Andreas Directory.. Ex. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas"

g. Then Click on gta_sa.exe or if you have a steam version, click on gta-sa.exe

h. Tell us if it worked! biggrin.gif

AND DON'T USE MODS,TRAINERS, and CHEATS!!! REMEBER THAT! BECAUSE THAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF GAME CRASH!!!

Or if that didn't work, do this:

To start:

If you're on Vista/7, you'll need to do this:

1) Uninstall SA.

2) Delete the installation folder if it still exists. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

3) Delete the Virtual Store copy of the installation folder too. The Appdata folder might be hidden. (e.g. C:\Users\???\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas).

4) Delete the gta_sa.set file from your user files folder.

5) Reboot.

6) Reinstall SA.

And if it still didn't work, this is you last option:

REINSTALL YOUR WINDOWS! OR DOWNGRADE TO WINDOWS XP SP3/SP2!

If that didn't work too, then your last and final option to do is:

LIVE WITH IT!

That is all I can think of.. Sorry.. if all of that didn't work.. confused.gif

thank you for helping me here are the results of your suggestions so far

1. win98 mode really slowed it down more lag >_< and still the crash

2. i tried that and that never worked

3.im the admin on m PC so i didn't have to do that one

4. nope my PC is fine running smoothly (kinda)

5. the disc had a fingerprint on it but i got games with countless scratches on it and still work (im conna clean it later)

6. where are these patches? i can only find the gta_sa.exe downgrade to V1.00 patch

7. i had this problem before i installed my antivirus

the list

i typed systempropertiesperformance in and it said windows couldn't find it

so i tried system properties performance and it just opened my system folder (with all the important .dll's and device drivers)

my windows XP is home edition SP3 and it seems kinda stupid losing all my files just to play a game

live with it looks like my last resort confused.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

thank you everyone for your help but it looks like this problem is unstoppable

i tried reinstalling with no mods no downgrade and still the same problem >_<'

And remember v1.01 is not modifiable. So you can't play with mods on v1.01 neither SAMP.

TheNathanNS

My Antivirus is Kasperky and im on Windows XP so i dont think i have the virtual store thingy

by kinda i mean at times it opens all programs fine then some days it takes forever to load up anything