Creating Carl

ceedj

Hi folks, having a small problem, hope ya'll can help. smile.gif

For the PEDS show, I need a ped model of Carl. Actually, I need several, but let's get one working first. The model is not the problem, I was able to combine the parts and skin it fine. The problem is the materials; before I combined everything, I applied the materials, since all the player parts and textures are separate. Materials look fine in Max, but when I try to build a txd, using multiple textures, it's a pretty large filesize (720k), and it never finishes loading (my hook stops responding, but the game doesn't crash, due to the model check I have in the code). When I just use the head texture, the model loads fine, but the texture isn't mapped right.

So, how do I combine my textures on the mesh, so it's ONE material, and it's all mapped properly? The skinning is not a problem right now, so if I have to start over, no biggie (I do a quick and dirty skin to make sure it works before I fine tune it). I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Any ideas?

OR, is there a simpler way to go about making several variations on Carl?

Edited by ceedj

Did you try to make a multi/sub objet in matérial editor in 3D max ?

It works for me to add object and modification without unwrap all but its a little bit tricky when you have a lot of different textures .

look at this simple video tuto which show how this part work :

and this one is the first part but i think you don't need it :

sorry for my english and i hope it help you .

user posted image

Carl, meet Carl. biggrin.gif

Fish, I did what you suggested, but I also updated my TXD Workshop to the 2010 version, which fixed the DXT.dll errors I was getting, and it shrunk my file from 780k to 92k. I suspect something was corrupted, but it could have been the mapping too. In any case, despite the minor flaws I need to fix on some of the skinning, it did work!

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

cookie.gif

A baker's dozen for you! Many thanks! smile.gif

just for tips....use bones from bmypol1.dff...its really fit with cj's model position...

just for tips....use bones from bmypol1.dff...its really fit with cj's model position...

thx for the tip

GTAIndonesia
Hi folks, having a small problem, hope ya'll can help. smile.gif

For the PEDS show, I need a ped model of Carl. Actually, I need several, but let's get one working first. The model is not the problem, I was able to combine the parts and skin it fine. The problem is the materials; before I combined everything, I applied the materials, since all the player parts and textures are separate. Materials look fine in Max, but when I try to build a txd, using multiple textures, it's a pretty large filesize (720k), and it never finishes loading (my hook stops responding, but the game doesn't crash, due to the model check I have in the code). When I just use the head texture, the model loads fine, but the texture isn't mapped right.

So, how do I combine my textures on the mesh, so it's ONE material, and it's all mapped properly? The skinning is not a problem right now, so if I have to start over, no biggie (I do a quick and dirty skin to make sure it works before I fine tune it). I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Any ideas?

OR, is there a simpler way to go about making several variations on Carl?

Ah, i knew you continued PEDS

oh wait episode 29 is here YAY!

Reborn as Prince Gumball

TheNathanNS
user posted image

Carl, meet Carl. biggrin.gif

Fish, I did what you suggested, but I also updated my TXD Workshop to the 2010 version, which fixed the DXT.dll errors I was getting, and it shrunk my file from 780k to 92k. I suspect something was corrupted, but it could have been the mapping too. In any case, despite the minor flaws I need to fix on some of the skinning, it did work!

cookie.gif

A baker's dozen for you! Many thanks! smile.gif

nice! this'd be awsome if you replace EVERY character as CJ (CJ kills CJ) CJ a pimp CJ as Tenpenny

GTA San Johnson!

nice! this'd be awsome if you replace EVERY character as CJ (CJ kills CJ) CJ a pimp CJ as Tenpenny

GTA San Johnson!

Yes , like the movie "Being John Malkovich" with cj's eveywhere who's can only say " cj ? cj cj cj ! "

Sorry it took so long to reply; I put the model stuff aside for a bit. Just checked last night, and not only does that model fit Carl very well, it's a little scary how all it took was a couple of rotations, and I didn't even have to move it. Yikes.

Minor flaws with the shirt sleeves, mostly, but good golly this is fantastic for what I need. Many thanks for sharing that nugget of info! smile.gif

Ok, riddle me this: I need Carl's arms and neck to have skin and not the jet-black texture that shows up when I use t-shirts. How do I make this happen? dontgetit.gif

From what I understood you want to make an actor who is the same as CJ, Why don't you use actor.Create(0@, 4, #NULL, 1@, 2@, 3@)

Here is an example.

{$CLEO}0000:while true   wait 0   if        0AB0:  key_pressed 0x50 //P   then       04C4: store_coords_to 1@ 2@ 3@ from_actor $player_actor with_offset 1.0 1.0 0.0        actor.Create(0@, 4, #NULL, 1@, 2@, 3@)       break   endend0000:0000:0A93: 

^^^^ Yes, aware of that, but I need about 15-20 Carl's on the screen, at the same time. And I'd like at least half to be variants, which is why I went to the trouble of creating 8 meshes (just use alternate textures on them). The problem with your method is say I get about halfway into filming, and I have a crash, or reset, or whatever. I'd have to create that actor again with the wardrobe and all. My way, the different Carl's are just standard actors that I can load and save. smile.gif

EDIT: In case anyone missed my new question:

Ok, riddle me this: I need Carl's arms and neck to have skin and not the jet-black texture that shows up when I use t-shirts. How do I make this happen?  dontgetit.gif
Edited by ceedj

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, still need a way to get Carl's arms to show the texture. Are the shirts transparent? Should I do this with the TXD Workshop? Halp! sad.gif

EDIT: Solved this by taking the torso texture, and pasting the shirt I want on top, saving it as a new texture and using that as the material. Carl has arms now! smile.gif

Edited by ceedj