Problems setting up network drive

matthew1g

I've been trying to host a network drive on CentOS via samba then get ubuntu to connect to this.

now centos is hosting a DHCP Server as well which ubuntu connects to in order to get an IP. CentOS has a static IP being 192.168.1.2 whilst ubuntu is on 192.168.1.199

Samba is set up as follows:

user posted image

on ubuntu I'm going places> connect to server then I get this and set up as follows:

user posted image

What exactly am I missing?

user posted image

user posted image

Suction Testicle Man

Could be a multitude of things - first to check is whether the samba daemon is running on the CentOS machine ("pidof smbd" on command line should return a number). Then you could run a port scan using nmap - I believe the ports it uses are 137-139, so "nmap 192.168.1.2 -p 137-139" should tell you the ports are open (btw "sudo apt-get install nmap" on the Ubuntu machine if you don't have nmap). If the ports are open, then the daemon is running, and you know you have a configuration problem.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Samba if you're not involving Windows machines in the process. If it's a temporary connection, make sure the SSH daemon is running on the CentOS machine, then enter sftp://[email protected] in the address bar of Nautilus (Ubuntu file manager). If it's more permanent (and you need better performance), use NFS.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail, and the test will be terminated.