How To Build Your Own Hackintosh Computer

blitz

user posted image

A Step-By-Step Guide by blitz.

user posted image

What is a 'Hackintosh?'

Well, I'm going to put it this way. What do you do when you need a Macbook Pro to do all sorts of video editing, graphic design, playing games, etc. but you can't afford ir? That's right.tYou build one out of PC components.

Why would I want a Mac anyways?

Ah, an interesting question I see. Well, if you're a hardcore PC gamer then I probably won't be able to convince you, but if you just use a PC because 'you've used it all your life, you find them easier, they run more programs' then you guys should probably pay attention to what's next.

First of all, a Mac is technically a PC because what PC stands for is 'Personal Computer.' However, to avoid confusion, within the rest of this topic I’ll follow the terms that everybody else uses: the Apple-manufactured personal computers with Mac OS will be abbreviated as Macs, while the other personal computers (with Windows) will be PCs.

First of all, you can run Windows on a Mac with no problem.

Second of all, if you have a Mac you needn't worry about viruses because there are basically none. You don't need to worry about clicking virus ads or whatever. I promise. Also, you can't have Mac on Windows (unless you do what we'll be doing.) but you can have Windows on a Mac.

Is this legal?

Yes, completely legal. Unless you download Snow Leopard illegally out of the internet or any other of the programs we'll be using, we're good.

Supplies: What You'll Need.

Now, before starting to build your own Hackintosh you need some supplies. Here's an organized list of them:

#1. The Hardware:

Before we go on further, there is no such thing as a definitive Hackintohs build. You will find plenty of hardwares that will run OS X in the following (or other similar) method. In my case, the hardware I'll be using is

• Antec Sonata III Case with 500W Power Supply
  • ASUS P7P55D-E Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 01G-P3-N959-TR Video Card
  • Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600(PC312800) Desktop Memory x 2 (for a total of 8GB); the amount of RAM you choose is optional.
  • OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD): This SSD isn't strictly necessary, but in our opinion, SSDs are one of the best upgrades you can make.
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support

With everything we've just acquired, we just spent about $830. If you're broke, you can try downgrading some of the parts I just listed above and you can get to a minor price.

Once you have all of the supplies, we have to start putting it all together.

Before going any further, we have to make sure our machine turns on.

IMPORTANT

We now need to build our computer from scratch. Here's a nice guide by Ryan, 'How To Build Your Own Desktop PC.

Follow the procedure and in no time you'll have your PC done.

Keep in mind that you can also do this to your already built computer, so if you have a Windows and want to switch to Mac for free, then this is the place.

Also, please remember that building a Hackintosh is a delicate process that requires patience. So this will take a while to make.

#2. The Software:

Well of course, first of all we need 'Snow Leopard.' The program that will run on our Hackintosh. Apart from that, we'll be needing a couple more files that will help us run Macintosh on the current PC. Here are the things you'll need:

I strongly, strongly suggest that you don't download them all at once right now, but actually go downloading them as you continue with the guide because there are some things that need clarifying.

#3 Installing OS X on your Hackintosh

This part is pretty simple and east. Here I'll guide you through the steps. The only problem is that you'll need an actual Mac here, but we don't 'damage' or do anything to it so I'm guessing you can just borrow one from someone or something.

On A Mac: Above you should have installed iBoot. If you haven't, unzip iBoot.zip and extract iBoot.iso. Now burn the file to a CD or DVD you can get for like a dollar at Target or anywhere.

On Windows: Insert a blank disc, right click on iBoot.iso and click Burn disc image. Select your disc burner in the next windows prompt, then hit burn.

On A Mac: Insert a blank disc, open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app), drag and drop iBoot.iso into the sidebar, then click burn.

#4. Adjusting Your BIOS

So now you that you have the iBoot disc ready, it's time to turn on your almost-Hackintosh and adjust the BIOS so your computer's OS X-friendly. Make sure you've plugged in a keyboard, monitor, and power, then fire it up.

When you get to the first boot screen, press the Delete key to open up your BIOS. Once inside, you'll need to make a few adjustments.

•On the first BIOS screen, arrow down to the entry labeled Storage Configuration, hit Enter, and change "Configure SATA as" to AHCI. Press Escape once.

•Next, arrow over to the Advanced tab, then arrow down to the section labeled Onboard Devices Configuration. Hit Enter, find the Marvell 9123 SATA Controller entry, and set it to AHCI. Press Escape.

•Now arrow over to the Power section and set Suspend Mode to S3 only.

•Finally, arrow over to the Boot tab, hit Enter on Boot Device Priority, and set your first boot device to boot first from your DVD drive, then set your second boot device as your primary hard drive.

Hit F10 to save your changes and exit BIOS.

#5 Boot from iBoot into the Snow Leopard Install DVD

Restart your system. Once that's done, the the iBoot disc we burned earlier into the DVD drive. If you set everything correctly in your BIOS, iBoot should boot into a blue screen with a disk icon on the middle. Once you get this screen, eject the disc and replace it with the Snow Leopard install DVD. Now press F5 in your keyboard. After a couple of seconds, the disk icon should be replaced with a new disk labeled 'Mac OS X Install DVD. (If it doesn't, then wait a few more seconds and hit F5 again.) Press enter, and your computer will boot into Snow Leopard installation wizard.

#6. Format your Disk and Install OS X

After a few minutes of loading, you should now be looking at the Snow Leopard Installation Wizard. Select your language and continue. Before we proceed, you'll need to format your hard drive so you can install OS X. So, from the file menu at the top of the screen select Utilities –> Disk Utility.

Once Disk Utility loads, click on your hard drive in the sidebar and select the tab labeled Partition. Set the Volume Scheme drop-down to 1 Partition (unless you have a reason for wanting otherwise), name the volume whatever name you want, and set the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now click the Options button and ensure that GUID Partition Table is selected as the partition scheme.

Now that everything's set, hit Apply. When you're prompted for confirmation, click Partition.

In twenty seconds or so, your drive should be formatted and you'll be ready to install OS X. Quit Disk Utility, and continue with the installer.

The installation is completely straightforward, so just follow along with the default settings. When the installation finishes (the time will vary—it always claims it'll take 30+ minutes, but is normally done in 10 to 20), you'll most likely see a big title that reads Install Failed.

Don't Panic Though!

This is part of the procedure, just restart the computer and put iBoot back onto the drive. Once your computer resters, the bootloader will give you an opt to boot your next insulation. Click that and hit enter.

#7. Update but Don't Restart

The first time OS X loads, you'll se Snow Leopard's fancy welcome video with the space background and stuff. That's good. Once you're through that, OS X will walk you through the setup wizard, just fill in the blanks correspondently and you should do fine.

Once THAT is done, you're finished with the setup. You're at your Hackintosh desktop, admiring its beauty. This is the time to grab the Mac OS X Update Combo 6.4 package (for free) that I mentioned earlier along with the other installation files. Do the whole process and restart (again?)

#8 The Final Step

Now it's time to put all those other installation files to use. Download it and click on it. You should see inside three files: Kext Utility, VoodooHDA.kext, and RealtekR1000SL.kext. Drag and drop the Voodoo one onto the Kext Utility app. Click 'OK' on the window that pops up and quit Kext Utility. Now, drag and drop the other file onto Kext Utility app.

Finally, restart it AGAIN and enjoy your new Hackintosh smile.gif

Sources I used:

http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build...ight-easy-steps

http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=446714

Credits to Narcis_speed6 for the amazing logo and to Life Hacker for telling me how to do the whole thing wink.gif

You guys rock!

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to ask.

Also give me some suggestions if you have them and feel free to reply.

I don't really expect you to build a Hackintosh, but if you ever want to do so, the guide is here, free for you to use.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif