GTA IV Playable on System

mcrispl

After my laptop died I decided to build my own desktop. I didn't build it as a super gaming rig but I have recently been wanting to play gta IV and I am wondering if my computer will be able to handle it and what the best upgrades would be to make in order to make the game playable. Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Solid State Drive (for boot and programs)

4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 Ram (1333 I believe)

AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz Processor

although the cores have been unlocked in this processor so CPU ID identifies it as AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.2 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 4290 (integrated into motherboard)

So do you guys think my system can play the game. I am not super picking about the graphics quality as long as it isn't laggy and I can get through the game I don't mind playing on lower settings. I am a bit of a noob to this kind of stuff but If I do need an upgrade I assume the most important upgrade to make would be to get an actual video card. If so do you guys have any recommendations for good video cards at a decent price (I would like to stay under $200, <$150 ideally).

That's not a good system for games, especially not for IV.

Get rid of that CPU and replace it by an Intel Core i5-2500k.

The RAM is enough, but if you want to keep this system for the next 5 years, I should pick 8 GB of RAM.

But, that's up to you.

As for the graphics, NO.

EVGA GeForce GTX 470

Although this is a very good card for the price, the feedback at it is negative.

Many say they have a DOA (dead on arival), others say it's just a bad card or it's dead after a week.

And again another few people say it's an awesome card dozingoff.gif

XFX Radeon HD 6870

One I also saw, don't really know if it's an amazing card, but sure is a good one.

A video about the XFX card, playing Crysis maxed out and running at 40 FPS average wink.gif

Edited by Exxon

oh my gosh, such bad advice (imo). tis why i have to post here still

that system is fine for gta Iv, if he add decent video card (48 cuda cores or more for 1024x768 resolution), and someone has posted that they are playing with hd 4200 integrated video, albeit laggy

a decent card ris xfx gt 240 @$34 after rebate.

Item#: N82E16814150475

the gt 440 only has 96 shaders/cuda cores/whatever also, but cos

Edited by unc13bud

Unfortunately, since you are on a laptop, you CANNOT upgrade your video card, as they are soldered into the motherboard(unless you have a Dell XPS model, those are the ONLY ones that do not solder the cards in-thanks to a local PC repair shop on the Gulf Coast for the info.). The ONLY way to upgrade a laptop, is to either replace everything-mother board, Processor, RAM, Video card-the whole nine yards-which would cost around $1,000+ to do OR you will have to buy a new one...That is the only down fall on laptops.

You might be able to run the game, but it is unlikely that it will be playable on that current card-as you have shared vram, which means that you have maybe a max. of 256mb dedicated vram...

Edited by radioman

umm...

After my laptop died I decided to build my own desktop.

Haha I don't think anyone bothers to read posts anymore.

OP.. the rig will be fine for GTA4 as long as you pick up a decent video card. Something like this would fit the bill nicely and only $150 after rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121419

Don't let people tell you your cpu will not play the game, sure there are better options out there but it will still handle it fine as long as you do not go overboard on the settings.

umm...

Yeah. but your Video card tipped me off that it was a laptop, as you said you have a 4200 series card, and, according to This site, the 4200 series is a laptop card? confused.gif Plus, you must have edited your first post, as when I read it the first time before posting, you said nothing about having a Desktop...Just a friendly heads up. smile.giftounge2.gif

Don't let people tell you your cpu will not play the game, sure there are better options out there but it will still handle it fine as long as you do not go overboard on the settings.

Nobody's saying the CPU won't be able to handle it, it is the GPU that is the problem, as it is onboard and with shared vram-not dedicated vram....also, just a friendly heads up... smile.giftounge2.gif

Edited by radioman

@unc13bud I saw someone having the same CPU model, Phenom II X4, he OC'ed to a stable 3.86 GHz and the game still had issues turn.gif

umm...

Yeah. but your Video card tipped me off that it was a laptop, as you said you have a 4200 series card, and, according to This site, the 4200 series is a laptop card? confused.gif Plus, you must have edited your first post, as when I read it the first time before posting, you said nothing about having a Desktop...Just a friendly heads up. smile.giftounge2.gif

Nobody's saying the CPU won't be able to handle it, it is the GPU that is the problem, as it is onboard and with shared vram-not dedicated vram....also, just a friendly heads up... smile.giftounge2.gif

Actually yea, someone did say to get rid of the cpu and get an I5 2500K.. which is why I said not to listen to them.

The 4200 series is an integrated chipset, for both laptops and desktops. It's a great chipset for media (including HD) and everyday use.

@Exxon.. I had my Phenom II x4 920 @ 3.72 and still had "some" issues but it was mainly dips in fps. Still very playable though. It wasn't enough to justify a whole new setup though.. Greed justified that for me biggrin.gif

Edited by Mudfrog

umm...

Actually yea, someone did say to get rid of the cpu and get an I5 2500K.. which is why I said not to listen to them.

The 4200 series is an integrated chipset, for both laptops and desktops. It's a great chipset for media (including HD) and everyday use.

@Exxon.. I had my Phenom II x4 920 @ 3.72 and still had "some" issues but it was mainly dips in fps. Still very playable though. It wasn't enough to justify a whole new setup though.. Greed justified that for me biggrin.gif

I said 'its not a good system for games' , but that doesn't mean it can't handle it biggrin.gif

I just don't think it's great for maxing IV out wink.gif

Edited by Exxon

luckymanhog

GX anything in that company bad ATi is better.Get crossfire board and 3.4 ghz processor and 5670 x2 and crossfire plays maxed out.

user posted image

both crossfire and sli are too dependent on drivers and the game actually working with them. as far as cpu GTA iv has issues with anything, need like a shaman wit a bloody chicken to get the game to run right

luckymanhog

both crossfire and sli are too dependent on drivers and the game actually working with them. as far as cpu GTA iv has issues with anything, need like a shaman wit a bloody chicken to get the game to run right

Well i got pentium Dual core 3.4 ghz i run maxium res 1080p.Game is fine.I might OC it just for the hell of it but Game works great.

user posted image

Well i got pentium Dual core 3.4 ghz i run maxium res 1080p.Game is fine.I might OC it just for the hell of it but Game works great.

You're either very lucky or just plain full of sh*t.

luckymanhog

You're either very lucky or just plain full of sh*t.

Well what sh*t i run game extremely well.I am not lucky i am 100% instead of luck.I seeing your specs your either lucky sorry.

user posted image

luckymanhog
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

your specs

CPU: C2Q9400 3.2 GHz

MBO: Gigabyte X48-DS5

GPU: Gigabyte HD 4870 512 MB

RAM: 4 GB DDRII

HDD: Seagate 250 GB

SCREEN: Samsung T200

bad i am running game higher and faster.

user posted image

lol you definitively are higher.

What would be exactly the performance levels my PC achieves and at which exact settings?

I've been ignoring this guy.. my last pc was much faster than his current and it still struggled with GTA 4 at max settings. I need video proof of him playing at his claimed 65+ fps on max details at 1080p or I'll call him a liar till the day I die..