Making Backups

gtafreak102

gtafreak102

I used to do it all the time. But I heard of unreliable sites so shouls it be allowed?

Okay, I thought about what you said for like a minute, and I figured you're talking about making copies of video games?

Of course you should be able to make back-ups of games you already bought. Though physical storage media is becoming obsolete and so is backing games up, as we're moving on to content delivery systems like Steam.

For what?

Wait ignore that, just saw the post above, umm yh you should be allowed as you've paid for it and as long as your not making a profit it should be all right

lil weasel

I think you should be able to exchange a damaged Game Disc for a new one at a minimal expense.

Come to think of it this could turn out to be one of those deep philosophical thoughts that reflects how the world has changed over the past few decades.

Ownership usually comes with the understand of being responsible for wear and tear. That is why you try and take care of your car, because it will last longer before you have to replace it with a new car. Nearly everything you buy wears out in time - nothing last forever. Or does it?

Digital media has the potential to last forever. Unlike making a copy of a cassette tape or vinyl album, a digital copy is a 100% exact duplication. I have preserved some cassette tapes and vinyl albums by converting them to MP3 and storying them on a nice raid5 drive array - they have the potential to last forever.

So when it comes to the ownership of digital media how much is the owner responsible for wear and tear? Just because you bought it once, does that mean you aren't responsible for knowing where it is, and/or keeping it in good condition?

Its another case of the law failing to keep up with technology. It happens in so many aspects, which causes knee-jerk reactions in cases influenced by politics and media - and causing a mess of the legal system.

Look at R v Gold & Schifreen (1988) 1 AC 1063, a whole law was drafted to prosecute in this area and it was a sham. Copyrights are changing, but instead of government its now copyright holders who refuse to adapt to what amounts to a new World.

user posted image

Hold on folks. He's asking about making backups and then mentions "unreliable sites". This to me sounds like on-line back ups of data on your HDD.

This is why I wish people would take the time to explain themselves on a web forum. It's not like this is a text message. And the days of being charged per letter or word are long since gone.

If that is what he's talking about. Yes, I'm sure there are some budget sites out there that offer really cheap/free rates for tons of space and they could be unreliable.

Carbonite is high recommended site. Very well liked and trusted by millions of people. $60/yr for unlimited data for 1 computer.

Amazon and Google are also offering a back up system of sorts. Then there is DropBox gives you 2GB for free but you can get more space by getting people to use you as a referral, up to 8GB.

Now if the OP did mean backing up games, software, movies, and other media.

Firstly there is the Fair Use law (USA only) which does allow you to make a copy of media that you own for your own personal use only. The problem is the DMCA which prevents you from breaking copy protection and this means you have to break this law to be able to take advantage of the Fair Use law. Double edge sword there (damned if you do or damned if you don't). Personally I say screw the DMCA and do whatever it takes to make a personal copy.

Next is the EULA which is found mostly in games and software but that's not to say it isn't found in movies and others as well. Now if the maker of said product states in their EULA that they do not give you permission to make a copy then the Fair Use law is out of the window no matter what. However if they do say you can make a copy then the DMCA is out the window, although you usually still have to find way to break the copy protection. Either way I still say screw them and make a personal copy if you want.

Lastly, every country has different laws. So you really should check those before you do anything. However I say screw it no matter what and make a personal copy.

Notice I made personal in bold. This was to emphasize that it's a copy for yourself and no one else. Not to be shared online, given to a friend, or even a long distance relative. I believe to make a copy to give to someone in your direct household (mom, dad, brother, sister, child) falls under Fair Use. Fair Use also means that legally you cannot buy something for your business and make a copy for your home personal use...you can't even make a copy for business and use it among the other computers in your business.

Tornado Rex

Next is the EULA which is found mostly in games and software but that's not to say it isn't found in movies and others as well. Now if the maker of said product states in their EULA that they do not give you permission to make a copy then the Fair Use law is out of the window no matter what.

Are you sure? I thought there was a case where a judge decided EULAs aren't legally binding contracts and all companies can do is revoke the use of the game, not criminally charge you since so many companies put ridiculous things into their EULAs.

nightwalker83

I used to do it all the time. But I heard of unreliable sites so shouls it be allowed?

Only if you actually own the disks in the first place.

Edited by nightwalker83

Next is the EULA which is found mostly in games and software but that's not to say it isn't found in movies and others as well. Now if the maker of said product states in their EULA that they do not give you permission to make a copy then the Fair Use law is out of the window no matter what.

Are you sure? I thought there was a case where a judge decided EULAs aren't legally binding contracts and all companies can do is revoke the use of the game, not criminally charge you since so many companies put ridiculous things into their EULAs.

Actually it's been on a case by case bases. Same have said it's valid and others cases say no.