My Journey into Mafia Piloting

DaveFeldman

DaveFeldman

If you've ever read me before, you know I like to play Mafia Work. In fact, I almost play it exclusively (probably 95% of the time.) I won't go into too much detail why, just sufficeth to say I consider it the most strategic and challenging on many levels.

Anyway, on occasion a game would start in Alderney and due to the Maverick helicopter being in two different places right in the borough, people would occasionally get one and try to use it for an advantage. Most of the time this seemed negligible at best. But once in a while a 9 or 10 would get it and prove it could be useful -- but eventually they'd have to ditch it for a vehicle retrieval mission. Less often, and more annoyingly, some people would hold a mission hostage by taking a "package" and leaving Bohan, Algonquin, or Dukes/Broker to go get a Maverick in Alderney. Not cool.

So a few months ago I decided to try something new... I decided I'd master using the helicopter in Bohan, Algonquin, or Dukes/Broker for Mafia Work-- but without ever holding a mission hostage while I went and retrieved it in Alderney. Basically, I have to gamble that the loss of time in getting the helicopter would be regained in the advantage.

Because I didn't want to screw around in my own ID, I used friends' accounts to practice in. Now I have to say, after a few months of focused play -- I'm pretty sick with the Maverick. I considered writing a big guide on "Mafia Piloting", but I think I'm too lazy to get that in depth. So here's the short version:

Pros:

Speedy travel (obviously). Yes, you can get from one end of a map to the other way faster than everyone else. That said, you'll have to land some times and this has lots of cons (see below).

Blades. If you master sweeping with your blades (and believe me, this takes LOTS of practice), you can really pull off some amazing kills and object manipulation. I can now often do a dive toward a "group of enemies" type mission and knock all of them out in a single pass.

Protection. Once in the sky, you are pretty much untouchable. Pulling out when people are coming from all sides is very satisfying if you can make it happen in time.

Autoaim reversal. Perhaps the most enjoyable pro for me is the fact that disallow purists really, really hate the helicopter because it is much more difficult to shoot me down without autoaim. That said, I have faced off with anti-Autoaimers that are so good they can snipe me in my copter at a million miles away. Yes, you probably know these guys yourself.

Cons:

It can take lots of time to get the Maverick. I try to wait for a get-the-thing-and-take-somewhere kind of mission to leave the borough I'm in and head to Alderney. Even so, I'm giving up 2-3 minutes to just to get the thing.

Extra stress about protection. Given you've now spent that much critical time getting the copter, now you have to take much more care to protect it from getting trashed. This is counter to the typical motivation of vehicle ownership in the game, since you can grab another car in half a beat.

Lots of missions unretrievable. If you have to get a vehicle and bring it somewhere, you're out of luck. These missions must be left alone. However, I try to be the spoiler to the other leading player during this time to try and prevent him from succeeding as well.

Big #$@# target. It's pretty easy to hit you at medium range if you aren't moving much.

Landing. Weaving your way down and landing without snagging your blades on the surroundings is very difficult normally, and that's before taking into account the speed you typically need to do in.

Conclusion

I'm now very addicted to playing the Maverick 90% of the time when playing Mafia Work and am now playing more Mafia Team Work. Players have mixed impressions overall, but the really good players actually like my adding a little more variety to the game, and are super satisfied when they pull off taking me down.

---

P.S. I'd like to play more Team Mafia Work as a Maverick pilot, but my experiences joining the lobbies have been pretty hit or miss. Does anyone have any advice on joining good TMW sessions (or might be interested in adding me)?

Captain_Obvis456

There are a few things that would also help you in TMW. Grabbing another player will help you in the car missions so you don't have to skip them. They can also jump out so you don't have to actually land, just recover for a second or 2. Obviously you gotta be close to the ground, lol.

Also, sometimes you can land on a building nearby and RPG or grenade people from up high near the mission or the ending part to protect your team until someone else gets there to complete or continue the mission.

There's nothing better than a mission that no one can compete because everyone gets killed when going in or coming out of an alley, lol. Especially if everyone seems to have a RPG.

And grabbing someone to take them to the mission end can be really helpful and long as you can communicate with them and they know the city.

Finally if you pay attention, if there's a mission where more than 1 thing gets dropped off if you see where that is you can go there and wait for them. To me there's nothing funnier than someone else doing all the work, you wait for them at the mission end and kill them , steal whatever they were carrying and deliver it 10 feet away to complete the mission.

Yeah love that MW/TMW.

I play on PC though so I can't play with you guys.

Good times.

DaveFeldman

There are a few things that would also help you in TMW. Grabbing another player  will help you in the car missions so you don't have to skip them. They can also jump out so you don't have to actually land, just recover for a second or 2. Obviously you gotta be close to the ground, lol.

Also, sometimes you can land on a building nearby and RPG or grenade people from up high near the mission or the ending part to protect your team until someone else gets there to complete or continue the mission.

There's nothing better than a mission that no one can compete because everyone gets killed when going in or coming out of an  alley, lol. Especially if everyone seems to have a RPG.

And grabbing someone to take them to the mission end can be really helpful and long as you can communicate with them and they know the city.

Finally if you pay attention, if there's a mission where more than 1 thing gets dropped off if you see where that is you can go there and wait for them.  To me there's nothing funnier than someone else doing all the work, you wait for them at the mission end and kill them , steal whatever they were carrying and deliver it 10 feet away  to complete the mission.

Yeah love that MW/TMW.

I play on PC though so I can't play with you guys.

Good times.

I've not had a chance to do anything as intimate as picking up and dropping off team mates, but I could imagine it would be fun. If there is any skill I've worked on a lot it is speedy take off and landings, both of which can be greatly improved with practice.

Regarding vehicles being retrieved, I actually employ that strategy to some extent. I typically go to the furthest car, enter it, mark the location and take off. The secondary reason being to start the clock on that car going away from being idle for a while before someone enters it.

But realistically, it is difficult to get to the drop off point without risking a lot for your helicopter. You can't easily stake out a place you can feel comfortable will be both protective cover for your copter and is close enough to where they need to go. Usually I take that time to get more armor/weapons given the risk exchange.

One final thought -- I rarely land on buildings any more as they don't meet out in the CBA. Intermediate to advanced players can spot you a lot easier and fire off an RPG for which you can't do much about in reaction if you are parked. Worse, it is almost always more exposed than you think once RPGs are landing in the corners and structures around the roof, even if the copter is fairly nested. You'll find you'll have better luck placing yourself on the ground on the far end of a mission and running at it from the other direction. Your copter is better hidden given everyone is coming from the other direction, and you have more ability to engage without as much risk.

DaveFeldman

One more stratagem I should share...

Another big downside of flying the helicopter is the fact that your blades ONLY give you credit if you kill people, not objects. So when you need to destroy the car, van, hot dog stand, or sink the car in water, for example, you won't have any of this count for you if you pull off doing this with your blades.

Now here's the cool thing -- this also can count for you too.

There have been many, many times where I've managed to chase down a mission car in an open road and using my blades was able to flip it upside down while my opponent was driving it. If they don't turn it back over soon enough, it will fail and count against them. I've also knocked a few such cars into the ocean when driving on a road nearby. (This is particularly annoying to the driver because they both lose the mission and have to swim back as well.)

Another fun effect is knocking around mission cars that don't fire on you until you fire on them -- such as the armored cars. I frequently knock them off the road into a spot where I can land and overtake them easily. While I'm knocking them around with the blades, they don't fire on me in any way because I'm technically not a threat yet.

Interesting read Dave, I've liked reading your posts about mafiya work or your arguments for using AutoAim, although I'm bit of a purist, and have often referred to AA as AutoLaim.

Sounds like an awesome tactic to tip vehicles with blades, must piss off a lot of players doing that.

I enjoy a game of TMW too, don't think I've ever tried doing it in a maverick though, also don't think I can provide any advice for getting a decent lobby together, its very hit or miss in my experience, nobodys playing, or when you finally do get some players together, they leave once they start losing. There's also a lot of griefers and bastards playing the mode (destroying objectives on purpose, glitching with objectives, team stacking etc).

Feel free to add me, but I seriously dont want to play AA, PSN is same as username!

7cg1vNw.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah liberty city is known to be the home of flying rats tounge.gif Each to their own bro nice topic and a good read. It was you that was in last night. Im more of the old school run and gun disallow mafiya work player. I prefer just to drive as the chopper is frowned upon my amoungst my friends.However its in the game and we just have to adjust if one is used. Most of my exprience from choppers is that people will resort to flying away with mission items to other islands or up on buildings that cant be reached for the sole purpose of sickening people into leaving.If its standard weapons the chances of bringing down a chopper are slim. It requires a member of the other team to focus soley on the chopper and follow it until it lands to take out the pilot. Sniping does work but getting a clear shot at pilot with sniper rifle is very difficult. I play TMW almost exclusively and I know the that if a chopper is introduced during a disallow games people will just quit.More so in Bohan. A skilled pilot will dominate to the point that there no point playing in bohan.Its too small.I think in all the games last night the least closely fought game a chopper was used.I couldnt see the missions in that game so the sight of the chopper was pissing me off but it was amoungst friends and decent folk so I did not complain. Its a topic that open to opinion but I prefer a straight up dog fight fast and furious style. It aint called grand theft aircaft afterall.Fliping a car over with chopper blades is funny but is also one of the most unrealistic and stupid things than can happen in gta.Who the f*ck flys a chopper into a vehicle trying to flip it over.Its just silly.I understand that all is fair within the game realm but that one just pushes it over the line for me.

To offer advice I would say that a team of 3 like you had last night. 2 in fast cars and guy in a chopper will dominate most games but you wont be getting any welll wishes from other players.I know its all a bit of fun but if your posting on these sites I find that the games will be taken seriously more often than not. The other side of the coin is that like you say its hard enough to find some good TMW games without everyone bailing out when they see a chopper in the skies. Im uncertain.I still maintain that pure disallow players wont use it but then it does add new element to games so the there pros and cons.

None the less enjoy your gaming bro.Im just a grumpy f*ck when it comes to TMW and how it should be played.All the best

My pSN is Madmonk420. I play all the time. Lobbies can be frustrating but there is games to be had.:Patience is a virtue.I only play disallow so if that doesnt put you off you know where to find me.Perhaps you could join me and AJ.We will take the ground you provide the air support. If we are split up team wise I promise ill not take the hump if you go for the chopper biggrin.gif

Buddy I could not help it but my immature mind noticed this line

"Pulling out when people are coming from all sides is very satisfying if you can make it happen in time" LOL LOL tounge.gif

Edited by Madmonk420

cool playing with you last night, and good to see the mavric mafia in action, had to laugh when I tried myself at doing it, then failing miserably, probably only worth using a chopper in the bigger islands, bohan is too small but you did well there too smile.gif

7cg1vNw.png