Goddamn Viruses

[SM]CJZera

[SM]CJZera

Hm... This is the most related place I thought to post, so recently my pretty much unused hotmail account began sending spam in all directions, weird thing is I don't even download much stuff from the internet... Is there any way that could happen without something crawling into my comp? I'm pretty much panicking atm...

Any advice on what to do?

That said, any good AV you recomend? I knew I shouldn't have trusted AVG... Damn lazyness...

sivispacem

Try Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira.

Have a google for Kapersky's free Rootkit tool. I had problems with a PC that seemed to constantly be picking up the fake anti-virus type spyware. Turned out to be a rootkit hiding in my SATA driver.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I'm using McAfee Security, but I don't really know if it's a good one.

Although, I already had about 3 virussus orso, and my pc is still running like it should.

But, about those virusses, the last one was fixed by myself using System Restore whatsthat.gif

I don't think I should recommend you McAfee, actually AVG Free is the AV my friend's using for 3 years now, and he only got his first virus a couple days ago (direct BSOD but still, it's fixed now).

I think Norton is a good one, but I don't know, sorry. Good luck mate icon14.gif

sivispacem
I'm using McAfee Security, but I don't really know if it's a good one.

Although, I already had about 3 virussus orso, and my pc is still running like it should.

But, about those virusses, the last one was fixed by myself using System Restore whatsthat.gif

I don't think I should recommend you McAfee, actually AVG Free is the AV my friend's using for 3 years now, and he only got his first virus a couple days ago (direct BSOD but still, it's fixed now).

I think Norton is a good one, but I don't know, sorry. Good luck mate icon14.gif

Norton, McAfee et cetera are actually considerably worse than most of the free AV systems. The only one I'd actually pay money for is Kaspersky.

Rootkits tend to cause BSOD errors IME, so he might have to dig a little harder to prevent it from happening again. Very few anti-virus programs have the capacity to prevent rootkit infestations.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Spider-Vice

Sivis, though Kaspersky every release is much of a resource hog. I used to use KIS 6 and 7, now these were excellent and lightweight antiviruses, though 7 is still supported, it doesn't work on Windows 7. I use Avast!, it's pretty good but sometimes its boot scans (if you do any) can be very sensible and overprotective. I've seen some medium reviews of Avast! only too. I also used to use Norton, it's not that bad, just it also occupies some resources. AVG sucks now, it nags you with ads like hell to upgrade to the latest version and so on, and it's detection rate is very faulty. Avira used to be a good antivirus too but it's now pretty overprotective and it nags you with ads every single update even though there's a way around that described around on this forum. Try using Avast! with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and I'm sure you'll do good. MBAM detects about everything.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

[SM]CJZera

Hm... I'll get around to trying Kaspersky, heard good things about it before...

Anyway, does anyone have any clue about how the heck could that have happened?

I'm really puzzled, especially given yesterday was my Birthday -_- What a wonderful present

Went to BB the other day and saw Kaspersky AV, then I saw the price and it clearly says $2.99 and I was like what?!

Then I asked one of their sales and they said that is only for 1 month.

So you pay $3 bucks for a 1 month subscription of Kapersky, isn't that the same as the 30 day trial? moto_whistle.gif

Here is some Free ones

Avast! Free Anti-Virus

AVG Anti-Virus Free

Also Malwarebytr anti malware is Good For free .... Doesnt your windows come with Windows defender ?

TheNathanNS

i had a virus once and it kept giving me the error

"win32 has encountered a problem" and it made my web browesr crash after i googled somethimg

dint ask how but the downloaded TDDS actually deleted the virus and its free so i'd recommend checking it out

NOTE: it might only work if you have the win32 problem idk i only used it that once

ChossenOne

I just delt with some fake anti-virus spyware/malware sh*t myself. It kept popping up with these "Danger: red alert"s and saying I was losing data and at risk, it was also asking me to buy something called WIN7. It disabled all my internet browsers too. I tried a System Restore, and that got my browsers working again just long enough to download Microsoft Security Essentials. That did the trick. MSE detected it twice more since then and rid my PC of it.

I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It did wonders for me and it can do wonders for you! biggrin.gif

Edited by ChossenOne
user posted image

[SM]CJZera

Hm... I'm not really knowledgeable regarding viruses, but is there any way it is using my mail without necesarily being in my computer?

Antivirus detects nothing, and yet it just sent another wave of messages to my contact list a couple of hours ago...

Personally I reckon some common sense. Run CCleaner to remove your temp files etc then just run scans with Malwarebytes until it turns up clean then run CCleaner again to remove any files knocking about then do a quick registry cleanup.

Just do that now and then and I think you'll be fine. smile.gif

OverTheBelow

CJZera,Jun 4 2011, 16:24] Hm... I'm not really knowledgeable regarding viruses, but is there any way it is using my mail without necesarily being in my computer?

Antivirus detects nothing, and yet it just sent another wave of messages to my contact list a couple of hours ago...

First thing you should try is changing your password & secret question.

If that doesn't stop the emails being sent out then it will almost certainly be some sort of virus on your PC being the cause of the problem.

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

Suction Testicle Man

As OTB said, change your password (how was he the first to suggest that?!). It's very likely that's how they're using your account - and there are a multitude of ways they could have gotten those details (phishing, keylogger, whatever). Otherwise they'd need to be stealing your browser cookie data, and therefore connecting using an active session. I think hope Hotmail has the necessary security to prevent the session from being authorised anywhere except your own IP - so your browser may be infected (or running an infected addon).

So yeah, change your password and make sure your browser isn't infected. Log out and in again to Hotmail to reset your session in case it has been hijacked externally.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail, and the test will be terminated.

james227uk

I had a strange case like this before too. My hotmail account was sending weird spam to everyone who I'd sent an email previously. The way I cured mine was to erase my signature, since that was sending the emails. I have no idea how it works, but it was a tricky one to get rid of

There is a scam going around Hotmail not to long ago. Don't know if that thing is still going on, but I've encountered it.

What the scam does is as you log into your Hotmail account, a message will open up saying someone in your contacts

wants you to add them to your "friends list". When you click on Yes, a window will pop up which looks exactly

like hotmail but with some ad called "health club". As you proceed with the steps, it will then ask for your personal info.

If you ignore that "add me to your friend" request a few days later on as you signed back in. A email will be

send to you saying "Do you add me to your friend's list" and finally "I thought I was your friend" somewhere along that line.

Since most use MSN messenger and the peoples on the contacts are actually their friends, they think nothing of it.

When you complete that "add me to your friend list". It will then start send spam to all of the peoples in your contacts.

Read online the things you can do is first of all change your password. Then add a fake email address to your contacts.

Use a number email as the will be at the top of your list. When the sending starts, it will start with the first one and if it doesn't work,

it should stop with the sending.

Whoever send you that is a victim and since you're sending out too then you're a victim as well.

OverTheBelow

I find it very amusing that Hotmail try so hard to be better than Gmail, and yet its much worse on so many levels. tounge.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

1st gtaROCKER

I have this same problem with 2 e-mail accounts. My advice is just get all your contacts of your attacked e-mail account, change the password and keep the hell away from it after that, incase you get a virus.

@iTRiP: Why d'ya keep saying ViRUS?? It's virus!!

*Official GTAFNS Forums Member*

.:See Official Topic for the Link:.

.:PM me for details:.

OverTheBelow
@iTRiP: Why d'ya keep saying ViRUS?? It's virus!!

It's cos he's a hipster, durr. tounge2.gif

DU8afL0.jpg