The language

Arnav_blaze

Arnav_blaze

The language of GTA IV and GTA San Andreas is not good.....players under 17 can't play it comfortably...........and if rocktar want to use it make a option that we can disable language....peds in almost every line use f*** WTF..??? tounge.gif

The game is rated M, which means it's suitable for those 17 and older. That said, anyone under the age of 17 shouldn't even be playing the game, so Rockstar isn't going to tone it down for people who shouldn't be playing the game.

In addition to that, the game is based upon crime, so that type of language is to be expected.

Edited by Ryan

thats why i play it!

anyway, if children don't want to hear bad words THEY CAN PUT IT ON MUTE. (ironically, I'm 15)

sonnyBlack

I only have one issue with the foul language and that's how often it's been getting used in ads on the radio and news reports. For me it just gets to the point where it ain't that funny anymore. But I don't expect that to change, and considering it's an M rated game I don't see it being a possibility that they'd tone down the language to make it more appealing for under age players.

Do you seriously think that kids under the age of 17 do not use foul language in real life? And even if some of them don't they are uncomfortable with it? Well, if you do, you're in the almost negligible minority here. If there's any problem whatsoever with the language used in a game, it's aptly taken care of by the ESRB rating it M. So, as has been pointed out by Ryan, if you're not 17, you shouldn't even be playing the game.

thats why i play it!

(ironically, I'm 15)

what's more ironic is that's why games have ratings - because of the immature thrill you get from vulgarity.

Dabai Namona

Actually GTA is not the only game with a lot of swearing. I heard Mafia II has been classed as the game with having the most expletives. Imagine someone around your grandfather's age swearing like that!

Finn 7 five 11
Do you seriously think that kids under the age of 17 do not use foul language in real life? And even if some of them don't they are uncomfortable with it? Well, if you do, you're in the almost negligible minority here. If there's any problem whatsoever with the language used in a game, it's aptly taken care of by the ESRB rating it M. So, as has been pointed out by Ryan, if you're not 17, you shouldn't even be playing the game.

Exactly this

Hahah this is probably the funniest thread ever, the game has a high rating for a reason, they might as well include swearing if they can.

Swearing can be quite hilarious at times as well, besides, it would not make sense to get shot and your character says, "gosh that hurt"

MessedUpPro

I am 14 and you say players under 17 can't play it comfortably? What are you 5? As everyone else has said, the game isn't meant for us to be playing it anyway. Don't like it, deal with it.

HipHopHeadSeb

the language is fine, iv been playing it and understanding it since i was a child.

Drift-Kingz

What a well thought thread. sarcasm.gif

Anyways, the language is fine the way it is. Would be a shame if they lowered the tone of it..

Is it because your scared mummy and daddy will hear naughty words on the video game?

Honestly though, who doesn't ever use swear words, pretty much no one, and the small exception who don't are hardly going to be the ones playing GTA. You should be mature enough to not let it affect you, otherwise you really shouldn't be playing GTA...

If you're mature enough than the language shouldn't matter. Age is just a number (I'm not a pedophile). Your only as old as you act.

Actually GTA is not the only game with a lot of swearing. I heard Mafia II has been classed as the game with having the most expletives. Imagine someone around your grandfather's age swearing like that!

People your grandfather's age did swear like that. It was just that movies and TV were heavily censored, which leaves us with the comforting idea that conversation was more civil and strewn with fewer expletives than it is today.

People your grandfather's age did swear like that. It was just that movies and TV were heavily censored, which leaves us with the comforting idea that conversation was more civil and strewn with fewer expletives than it is today.

that's not exactly true. culture HAS changed over the years; as comforting as it may seem to believe that your forebears were just as vulgar as you are, it's not the case.

look at media as an example - 3 1/2 men is a quite a different set of moral and ethical values than leave it to beaver. there was a HUGE controversy over gone with the wind's "frankly my dear i don't give a ####" -- this language is in potato chip commercials now. one could go on for days giving examples..

ever heard the term "cuss like a sailor"? well it used to mean something. now the same sentiment could just as easily mean a 15 year old kid.

ask your parents or grandparents if crude language was as prevalent 20, 30, 40 years ago as it is today. ask them if there were underwear or erectile dysfunction commercials on TV or radio. if you're only 17 years old, you're not really qualified to say whether things have changed or not, kid.

compare LAN to GTA if you've played it - there's the same sort of crass commentary from the peds, but the language is severely toned down - do you think that's just a cute little joke by the developers, or more realism?

sure, movies and TV were more carefully censored, but that only reflects the cultural memes of the day, and don't discount the reverse effect -- not only do ethical norms influence media, but media can powerfully effect culture as well. this is even more true today than it was 20 years ago - kids spend alot more time in front of televisions, billboards, computers, movie screens etc today than they used to - and alot less time with their parents or other mentors than they used to, so the influence of media on development is many times more prevalent and powerful than it used to be. couple that with the increasingly more permissive and amoral media, and what you've got is a abunch of 14 year olds who aren't at all shocked by cursing, random violence, pointless crime, strip clubs and sex minigames in GTA.

yeah i'm a fogey. but if you think this is BS - let your grandparents play GTA IV and see if their reaction is the same as your little brothers.

this isn't an argument either way - personally i think it's futile, as the number of minors on this forum is a testament to - but a correction to you kids who think this is the way the world has always been.

media reflects and influences popular ideology. it's a 2-way street.

I'd have to disagree with post. Vulgarity has existed since like forever. Only one point is true vulgarity gets bigger with the youngest generation. To relieve stress and anger people always swear, when parents watch political news it usually turns into a swearfest.

SuperMutantBehemoth

Grand Theft Auto is like a kids game compared to another games with more swearing

Swearing is a common part of life, just words nothing more. "f*ck you!" Aww, i'm physically hurt, i need to get to hospital, beh!!

I'd have to disagree with post. Vulgarity has existed since like forever. Only one point is true vulgarity gets bigger with the youngest generation. To relieve stress and anger people always swear, when parents watch political news it usually turns into a swearfest.

i'm not saying it's anything new - just that it's more prevalent, and that while media might reflect it in adult speech, it encourages it in kids speech, and in adults to a degree too. words like 'egad, darn, gosh, golly, drat, fiddlesticks' etc aren't imaginary - it's what your grandparents might have said in polite company - words that are now replaced with ####, #####, ###, ###### etc.

if you want to look further back, read some shakespere - those plays were highly vulgar, profane and suggestive for their time, but now we look at them as an example of the most beautifully written english - but you won't find cussing in them.